New bike, bottom bracket issue

Ak47mh
Ak47mh Posts: 26
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi guys

I just purchased a new Felt DA4 2015 TT bike. This is the spec:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/United%20Ki ... s/DA4.aspx

I bought these parts with the bike and had them fitted by the shop before delivery:

Shimano Ultegra 6800 53/39 crankset
Shimano Ultegra 6800 11/25 Cassette
Shimano BB-R60 Ultegra 6800/105 5800 Hollowtech ii

The bike arrived, but upon fitting my Stages power meter I noticed the bottom bracket was FSA. Upon removing the left crank arm, the FSA cup bracket came off and wasn't secure. I could then push the whole crankset in and out and there was play up and down.

My question is I paid for a Shimano bottom bracket and I thought this was only compatible when fitting Shimano cranksets? It seems the shop mechanic left the old bottom bracket in which seems to be a Vision BB30 from the Felt website and just used the old FSA cups to clamp it in. I have attached some pics.

I have already returned one bike because of a chip out of the frame and I want to know if the new bike should have been assembled like this? Any quick responses would be much appreciated so I can take it up with the bike shop.

Cheers,
Ant

Comments

• I could be wrong, but the Shimano BB is never going to fit in that frame like that.

You have press in BB30 bearings, and therefore need those FSA adaptors to convert to Shimano size. They just press in by hand.

Presumably, once it's all mounted and tightened up it's OK?

Get a refund for the Shimano BB.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hollowtec II is not compatible with a BB30 bottom bracket unless you get some form of adaptor.

either one to convert the frame to threaded and then use a new threaded BB like the one you supplied. or you need some adaptors to allow you to use the 24mm axled cranks in the 30mm bearings.

the shop should not have done what they did but it looks like they just did what you told them to do and took your money.

but you did not know what was involved.

buy some BB30 to 24mm adaptors and fit it yourself looks like you have the tools needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2015
    To me that FSA piece looks like a 'BB30 to 24mm' adapter similar to the wheels manufacturing bb30 adapter. They slide in very easily by hand. No tools needed. There should be another one on the other side.

The FSA adapters is what you have paid for. Go back and work out the cost. Check the price online first.

The bike would not have come with these originially because the old BB30 chainset doesn't need them. The old BB30 chainset just fits into the bearings.

You cannot screw a hollowtech bb into a BB30 bearing. There are no threads. Unless you do a proper cup conversion with threads (more costly and time consuming)

You dont need to pay for any Shimano BB, because there isnt one installed.
  • Ak47mh
    Thanks for the quick reply guys, much appreciated.

You mention this:
    nicklouse wrote:
    buy some BB30 to 24mm adaptors and fit it yourself looks like you have the tools needed.

Is this the part I need:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufact ... 60375067uk

So I can just fit this part easily enough myself to convert the existing bottom bracket to take my new Shimano crankset?
  • nicklouse
    yep that's it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • trailflow
    You dont need anything you already have them. If there is some play then you need to use some spacers. The bike shop should have noticed this.
  • Ak47mh
    trailflow wrote:
    You dont need anything you already have them. If there is some play then you need to use some spacers. The bike shop should have noticed this.

Thanks mate also. This is the spacer attached, seems I might actually have the correct part if anyone could confirm?

There seems to be no play once fitted and tightened up, it just didn't seem correct in the first place. I asked the bike shops advice on all the parts before getting them to fit it as well and they confirmed I needed the new shimano BB which has probably led to all the confusion.
  • trailflow
    Yes those adapters are almost identical to the Wheels Manufacturing ones.
  • nicklouse
    actually as above now I have zoomed in it looks like the FSA logo is on basically the same things.

looks right.
  • Ak47mh
    Sorry to waste all your time, but many thanks for putting all my concerns to rest and that is a big relief. I have really learnt something new today ;)
  • nicklouse
    but were is your HT2 BB you supplied?
  • trailflow
    i dont think he supplied them just instructed them to fit.

He actually might of paid less than he needed to. Hollowtech bb's are cheaper than the adapters.
  • Ak47mh
    nicklouse wrote:
    but were is your HT2 BB you supplied?

I just found it in the box with the original crankset. Seems I didn't need it, but then it actually cost less than the 24mm conversion kit.

Thanks again for clearing it all up.