What do you do with your iPhone?

richfavinger
richfavinger Posts: 7
edited February 2015 in Road general
Been slowly gathering kit over the winter months. And just picked up one of Pearl Izumi thermal jerseys... It did tote a sweat-proof pocket, how ever I had never thought to check (buying on-line) the pocket is unless for my iPhone 6! It's big enough for a flip-phone or (old) iPod...

The iPhone 6 will fit in one of the main 3 jersey pockets, how ever it skims the top. I'd gather most jerseys aren't meant to fit iPhone 6's... So, thoughts? Or, any jerseys that do or, do you put it in the seat bag? [Not a big guy, 5'7" - 145lbs]
Rich

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Just put it in a sandwich bag and keep it in one of your 3 pockets.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Oakley softcase in a pocket in any of my jerseys or the radio pocket of my bib shorts
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    Just put it in a sandwich bag and keep it in one of your 3 pockets.

This. Why use anything else!
  • Why on earth would you take such an expensive phone cycling with you?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Why on earth would you take such an expensive phone cycling with you?
    I know....and I hope your bike isn't worth more than £20 either. Why would anyone ride a bike worth more?!?!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • What has the cost of your bike got to do with how much the phone costs that you choose to take with you?
    you can't cycle without a bike, but you can cycle without a phone. it's just another thing you don't need which will cost you money if it happens to get damaged.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    The iPhone 6 only just squeezes into my Rapha purse (let's not pretend it's anything else) and even then it wouldn't leave room for much else ... So I have a pay as you go sim in an old 4s we had doing nothing much and take that with me when I'm out on the bike. That goes in a little ziplock bag inside the purse and that goes in my jersey pocket.

TBH the 6's design is a bit flimsy for a jersey pocket ... It's so flimsy I even bought a cover to put on it to make it useable for normal use.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • I just look at mine and weep when I think of how much money apple are making.

PS Tears of pure jealousy by the way.
  • Alright then, sandwich bag it is...
    Wasn't sure if there was smoothen I was missing...
    Rich
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Strava would be my guess.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Why on earth would you take such an expensive phone cycling with you?

Live tracking!!!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    TBH on a solo ride a long way from home I'd say it's pretty important to carry a phone in case of an accident or an unfixable mechanical.
  • I use a small dry bag for my phone and money, debit card too for a long ride.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Alright then, sandwich bag it is...
    Wasn't sure if there was smoothen I was missing...

I do the same for road or mountain biking. Guaranteed waterproof and you can easily carry a spare ;)
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    If I remember I put mine in a bag. More often than not it just gets a bit damp. Seems fine so far.
    Insert bike here:
  • OK so you might need a phone if something goes wrong. I do carry one myself, but it certainly isn't a £600 iphone. it's an old nokia 6300 that cost me next to nothing, I used to keep it as a spare phone but now I use it on my bike just in case things go wrong. as to the op, my phone goes in a resealable sandwich bag on my bike.
    why would you use an iphone for strava use? if you can afford the £600 for an iphone then surely you can afford a strava compatible bike computer. my edge 200 only cost me £80. much less than an iphone.
    also if you do use a phone for strava and it happens to get damaged, not only do you lose the ability to record your rides, but you no longer have a phone for calls, texts and internet use.
    of course I don't want anything to get damaged, and I am not wishing such a thing on anyone else. but if I had the choice between my everyday phone and my garmin edge 200 getting damaged, I would pick the edge in a heartbeat.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whats to go wrong?

If I come off my bike so badly that I damage a phone tucked into the small of my back with a small waterproof or inner tube between it and the outside world, then I think I will have bigger things to worry about lol.

People on here swear blind that they are not going to hit their head hard, and it seems even less likely that a phone will get damaged.......... unless you mount it on your bars of course.
    I have seen a group of cyclists trash a mates brand new iPhone who did just that. It was not a nice experience :shock:

My Garmin cost nearly as much as an iPhone anyway, and thats on my bars (stem).

As has been said, you need the iPhone for live tracking and other connected features.
    The hassle of having to have two phones is also a pain.
  • You don't need the iphone for live tracking. any garmin device will do that perfectly, that's what they were designed to do. and if anything does happen to it during a ride, you still have your phone intact.
    I have no problem with someone wanting and buying themselves an expensive phone. if you can afford it and it's something you want/need then do as you please. but at least use some common sense and don't take it somewhere there is a good chance of it getting damaged.
    I'm not surprised by a group of cyclists smashing a friends new iphone. he was either constantly stopping to answer calls and texts, or he only brought it with him to show off his latest extravagant purchase to his friends.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    "if you can afford the £600 for an iphone then surely you can afford a strava compatible bike computer. my edge 200 only cost me £80. much less than an iphone"

Maybe he has it, (like most people) on a contract so doesn't outlay £600 in one hit.

"You don't need the iphone for live tracking. any garmin device will do that perfectly, that's what they were designed to do."

I'm pretty sure my Edge 500 has no Live tracking???
  • OK I stand corrected. I wasn't sure what live tracking is. what is the benefit of live tracking over using a strava compatible bike computer?
  • There are lots of plastic waterproof zip bags designed to clip onto the frame and take a smartphone! Just not doing your research. Check Amazon.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • OK I stand corrected. I wasn't sure what live tracking is. what is the benefit of live tracking over using a strava compatible bike computer?
    Live tracking is up-to-date positioning of you. I use a Garmin 510 and it updates quite fast. Wife can track me when I am out for the long rides. Doubt the Strava app can actually do that. The Garmin requires connection to a smartphone.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Is it really that important to have live tracking? I know where I am when I am out on my bike. others don't need to know do they?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ziplock sandwich bag or similar and tucked up in the back pocket. Very unlikely to have anything happen to it. You might as well ask - why have an iphone and go out shopping with it - you could drop it onto the ground and it'd break.

Then again I changed my iphone for a waterproof Sony. (I still use the plastic bag though - force of habit).

Phones are handy if something goes wrong for you or you come across an accident or similar. Plus if you're really lost - the maps helps.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I'm not surprised by a group of cyclists smashing a friends new iphone. he was either constantly stopping to answer calls and texts, or he only brought it with him to show off his latest extravagant purchase to his friends.

...because you'd only stop to answer calls or texts if you've got a brand new iphone.
    Could you try and put together an argument that actually makes sense.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it really that important to have live tracking? I know where I am when I am out on my bike. others don't need to know do they?

Is it really that important to have an Edge 200?
    Is it really that important to have a Nokia 6300?

So the tech you have is great, but everything above and below is pointless right? :roll:
  • cougie
    If I was constantly getting texts or calls - then I'd put the bloody thing on airplane mode - unless my wife was 9 months pregnant or you're some high powered CEO.

The only time I've used mine on the go was to text my mate to 'bloody get a move on' on a steep climb we do. So just taking the pee really.
  • I'm not saying that you would only stop to answer calls or texts if you have an expensive iphone. you can answer calls and texts on any phone.
    I said I'm not surprised that a group of cyclists trashed their friends new iphone, it was probably because he was either stopping to answer calls and texts all day, or he only brought such a phone with him to show it off to his friends. in that situation I would probably do the same thing.
    it's annoying enough to have a friend in a group who feels the need to keep stopping all day to answer calls and texts. it disrupts the ride and it gets on peoples nerves. but it's even more annoying to be in the company of someone who constantly feels the need to show you everything they have bought and tell you how much everything costs. I once rode with a guy who brought his phone with him because he was waiting for news of his wife going in to labor. fair enough you may say. but if your wife is about to give birth at any time, why are you out on your bike instead of being by her side holding her hand.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Is it really that important to have live tracking? I know where I am when I am out on my bike. others don't need to know do they?

Is it really that important to have an Edge 200?
    Is it really that important to have a Nokia 6300?

So the tech you have is great, but everything above and below is pointless right? :roll:

I never said that anything better or worse than what I have is pointless. I do also have an iphone 3G, but I only have that because my girlfriends sister was upgrading to the iphone 4 and offered me her 3G for free. even though it didn't cost me anything, I still wouldn't purposefully take it somewhere I knew it would get damaged, meaning that I would actually have to spend money to buy a new phone.
    in answer to the op, I leave my iphone at home.
    it doesn't matter if it was a free iphone 3G or a brand new £600 iphone 6, it wouldn't come with me on my bike.
  • cougie
    I've been cycling for years and years with a mobile. No damage.

Obviously if you KNOW your phone will get damaged then you'd not take it there - but I'm not psychic.
This discussion has been closed.