Will I notice difference between a Trek 1.5/and a Boardman?

oatmealtwice
oatmealtwice Posts: 21
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hullo. Last of my topics before I go back to lurking ;-)

Ive got a 2010 Trek I've ridden into the ground commuting. I've got fairly heavy wheels on it. I need to replace quite a few bits.

Will I notice that much difference in weight and handling if I got a bog standard Boardman? They seem a cheap deal at the moment with BC discount etc

There are carbon forks on the Trek but alloy on the Boardman.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Performance wise, unlikely. Both are reasonable entry level bikes.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Probably not to be fair- I have a 2011 Trek 1.1 and the frame is pretty good- easily the equal of the modern entry level bikes still.
    I've kept mine pretty ship shape over the years (I race on it so it has to be kept working well!) but that has meant replacing literally everything but frame, forks, handlebar and the shifters. The frame itself is fairly light and even with low end finishing kit but lighter wheels it can get down to around 8kg which is very reasonable for a sturdy bike.

It will really depend on how much it will cost to repair/ upgrade your current bike, but I suspect spending the equivalent on a new groupset and pair of wheels will make a nicer machine than the Boardman, although as the Boardman is at £300 at Halfords you won't get too much. You *might* just be able to get a full Tiagra groupset and RS501 wheels which will put it in good stead, but if you can get away with just replacing worn parts of your current drivetrain then you could put more into wheels.
  • Thanks for the replies.

As it's for commuting the Boardman would let me get fixed mudguards and hopefully I'd be able to look after it a bit better than the Trek because I've been a bit careless with it and bits are corroded etc.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    They are a different colour, and the writing is different.

Chris will also happily reply to your tweets, and Lance tends to ignore them.
    Insert bike here:
  • My 2010 trek 1.5 has mudguard eyelets i'm not sure why yours wouldn't.
    Just put a 5800 group set on it and then save up for some fulcrum 5's or better (hand built); It will be a way better bike than the Boardman of which you speak.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well unless the fit that both bikes gives is identical then yes you will notice a difference. In terms of performance both are built to a price point and make similar choices for the kit give or take a bit.

Alloy forks can be comfotable so can carbon forks. comfort is all the tyres used, width and pressure not in the other factors often cited which make a much much smaller contribution.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for the replies. Appreciate there will be some difference with the 'geometry and that'. I'd just wondered if the Boardman was massively heavy.

Re eyelets - I'd assumed there was more clearance on the Boardman - I can't really get anything on my Trek apart from Cruds but I'm running the Marathon Plus which are quite bulky. Have you got fixed mudguards darkhairedlord?

With British Cycling discount you can get the basic Boardman for 252. So it appeals as it quite cheap. And yes it's a different colour and I've read on lots of cycling forums that red is faster :wink:

But I appreciate the components are not great.

I will actually leave the keyboard and go and have a look this weekend. Rather than clean my Trek :wink:
  • Thanks for the replies. Appreciate there will be some difference with the 'geometry and that'. I'd just wondered if the Boardman was massively heavy.

Re eyelets - I'd assumed there was more clearance on the Boardman - I can't really get anything on my Trek apart from Cruds but I'm running the Marathon Plus which are quite bulky. Have you got fixed mudguards darkhairedlord?

With British Cycling discount you can get the basic Boardman for 252. So it appeals as it quite cheap. And yes it's a different colour and I've read on lots of cycling forums that red is faster :wink:

But I appreciate the components are not great.

I will actually leave the keyboard and go and have a look this weekend. Rather than clean my Trek :wink:
    SKS chromoplastic guards, 25mm Michelin lithion tyres and plenty of clearance. The only issue I have with bike is toe overlap which you soon get used to
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    My 2010 trek 1.5 has mudguard eyelets i'm not sure why yours wouldn't.
    Just put a 5800 group set on it and then save up for some fulcrum 5's or better (hand built); It will be a way better bike than the Boardman of which you speak.

Same for my 1.7 which is the same frameset, lovely bike. Mines a 2008 and since then has had many different groupsets from 105 to dura ace its currently running a mix of SRAM crankset and old 105 5600 the best upgrades have been wheelset, bottom bracket and brakes.

I did at one point get the weight down to 17lbs or 7.7 kgs if that's your bag.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.