Topeak PanoBike cadence magnets install

Chunky101
Chunky101 Posts: 108
edited February 2016 in Road general
On the strength of reviews I bought myself and the wife one of the above each to get some data when using the turbo trainer with our phones. I knew I would have to cable tie the sensor part to the rear chain-stay but was expecting the cadence magnet to screw into the rear of a pedal and not need another ugly lump of plastic cable tied to the crank. I was wrong, the supplied fitting doesn't fit my Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals nor my wife's Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals.

Does anyone know if an aftermarket part is available or an alternative product that minimisises the need to bolt bits on?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    There are tonnes of neodymium magnets on ebay. Ive not tried them but am interested to know if they can fall off.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... t&_sacat=0
  • I have the thin "aero" magnets (from eBay) on both my bikes and have had for nearly 2 years - no issues at all and highly recommend them :D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Those round magnets trailflow mentions above work an absolute treat. Been using those for about 5 years now for the precise reason of not having to cable tie things to the crank, and I am yet to have one fall off from any of my bikes.

As long as you don't have titanium spindles on the pedals you can use them.

I also use a thin spoke magnet on an aero spoke wrapped on with a bit of black tape, it's very hard to even see, works fine.
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    Thanks all, I actually removed the stock Topeak magnets from the plastic holders and just let the magnet attach to the spindle. It seems to be fine and hard enough to remove by hand so think it should be ok.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    trailflow wrote:
    There are tonnes of neodymium magnets on ebay. Ive not tried them but am interested to know if they can fall off.

Not without the aid of a screwdriver!

I think it was someone on here (or urban myth!) once tried to use a neodymium magnet as a speed sensor just by using the magnet to stick itself to the spoke. It worked fine for a while until he heard a clattering noise as the magnet came off and was lost. Some time later he found it attached to the underside of his brake caliper!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Anyone know if these magnets would affect the readings sent from a set of Vectors or potentially damage the circuity inside?
  • Chunky101 wrote:
    Thanks all, I actually removed the stock Topeak magnets from the plastic holders and just let the magnet attach to the spindle. It seems to be fine and hard enough to remove by hand so think it should be ok.
    Does this work ok? I have one of these sensors and have the ugly thing on my crank but with this I cant get the sensor far enough back to pick up the speed magnet so I'm interested to know if this works so I can give it a try and move the sensor back a bit.