Gear cables

Davis_XI
Davis_XI Posts: 151
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Is there anyway to service gear cables or just replace each time?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Whip the inners out for a good looking at. If they are not frayed or kinked anywhere and still slide smoothly through the outers, just drip a few drops of oil into the end of each outer section.

I generally only replace cables when they fray, snap or become sluggish because the outers are corroded or otherwise gunked up. My 105 and Tiagra shifters do occasionally fray the cable inside the shifter, so check that end carefully.
  • Davis_XI
    Thanks for that. After another look at lunchtime i think my rear derailleur might need replacing? I've got a bit of play in the pivots. Strange as the derailleur is only 6 months old.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I doubt very much you've worn out a rear mech in 6 months. My 10 speed 105 rear mech is 7 years old and has just got to the point where the jockey wheel teeth have disappeared. Pivots are still fine.
  • Davis_XI
    Had a small accident 7 months ago which meant buying new rear derailleur but I didn't change rear hanger. Thinking I maybe damaged the derailleur?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    No, you can not damage a new rear derailluer by fitting it to a bent/damage hanger. If thats what your trying to say ?

My brand new Dura Ace 7900 RD had play in the pivots.

Do you have any problems with your shifting ? Re-oiling the shifter internals helps alot, and should be done regulary anyway.
  • Davis_XI
    That's good to know. Shifting is terrible at the moment. I keep chasing my tail trying to get it just right. Going to try new cables first. Only changed them a couple of months ago but I ride 150 miles a week in all weathers so it going to take its toll on the bike. Just feeling a little frustrated.
  • Exactly the same as me. I had an accident, replaced the RD & hanger, but crucially, I fitted the hanger myself, knowing nothing about alignment. It never shifted properly, despite new cables & outers, limit screw adjustment, the works.
    Took it to my LBS to check the alignment, they said it was out of alignment (I couldn't see from the naked eye), it cost me a tenner and has never shifted so well!
    Rather than spend on new cables & outers, chuck £10 at your lbs & see if they can solve it. :D
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • Davis_XI
    Thanks for that - will speak to them in the morning! Cheers
  • Did you get anywhere with the LBS? Was it a misaligned hanger?
    Cheers
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    If you change one thing change the loop of outer to the RD - due to its position it gets sticky quickly. Transformed my shifting when I did that.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.