Wheel set Shimano MT15 or alternative?

3wheeler
3wheeler Posts: 110
edited January 2015 in MTB general
Hi - the hubs on my specialized rockhopper are toast so I think it's best value to get a new set of wheels, 26 inch, disc brakes, QR.

Shimano MT15s at around £80 or MT35s around £100 look good value. But will need an adapter to mount my disks on the centrelock fitting.

Any alternatives I should consider within a similar budget?
For example I found these on Merlin: http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-shiman ... 59840.html

any good?

Comments

• Superstar Sentinel Wheelset is 129.99, code NEW20 makes it £104

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/s ... arance.htm
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano wheels are excellent, I really like their hubs. I have also had Superstar and wouldn't recommend them, four cracked freehub bodies in a year and their standard email reply to the warranty claim suggested that it's a common fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Superstar sell a range of hubs with a range of freehubs, that's rather a silly reason not to consider any Superstar wheel at all. Also their hubs come from globally recognised manufacturers so in many cases you may be buying the same part under a different name.

My hubs are 5 years old, had bearings in the rear, not touched the fronts. No Freehub issue (Trizoid).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Thanks - decided to go with the superstars - hopefully issues with build quality I've read about have been resolved. The discount code was very helpful :)

I would like to have got the shimanos, don't mind the hassle of ball bearing hubs, but what put me off was their centre lock rotor attachment for brakes, which means you either need an adapter ~ £15 per wheel, which may leave some play in the disc, or fit shimano discs with avid brakes and accept they won't work perfectly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Considering the number they sell, they are bound to have some causing issues, most the reports of problems date from a while ago.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the Switch Evo & Tesla hubs. The Tesla freehubs just wore fast and the Switch Evo freehubs cracked. I also have Nukeproof hubs which are made by the same manufacturer (Novatec) and they eat bearings (I use SKF or Koyo not cheap rubbish) & freehubs. My Hope Pro 2 evo & cheap Shimano (various models) hubs are much better quality any have given me no problems.