Topping up?

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Just wondered what people do about re-filling water bottles if you're on a long ride and you run out? Do you re-fill in public toilets (can't say I'd fancy re-filling from the taps in most of the public gents toilets I've had the misfortune to use... :? ) Or do you head for a shop/supermarket/pub/cafe? Do you generally find people willing to re-fill your bottle if you're not spending any money with them? Or do you end up buying bottled water?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• triban
    triban Posts: 149
    If i'm riding with someone else, i'll nip into a shop while they look after the bikes, like i did the other day when i forgot my bottle! it's more difficult on your own as its hard to find somewhere you can leave your bike unattended. i once wheeled my bike into a Greggs and bought water there! i was 2 hours from home and completely out of water in 25 degree heat.

in the summer i have 2 750ml bottles if i'm going far, this nearly always lasts me on 100 to 130k rides unless it is very hot. There's plenty that will complain about you having large bottles on the bike but i'd rather have enough to drink than worry about how small my bottle is.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    If I'm out for long enough to get through 2 bottles I'll generally have a cafe stop so will fill up there. Have had the odd occasion where I've had to pop into a shop for a bottle of water after using more than expected, definitely would not consider filling up from a public toilet though!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cafe or quiet village shop. Choose your places wisely - you'd be a fool to leave your bike alone in some areas.

Once on a long hot ride a nice lady watering her flowers filled my bottles up for me and gave me a cooling shower too.

It shouldnt be an issue in Britain really.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I carry 2 x 750ml bottles which will normally keep me going for 4 hours in the winter and 2 in the summer.

I usually stop at a shop and just wheel the bike in instead of leaving it outside. Its no more dirty than a pushchair for instance.

Iv once been told "bikes arent allowed" so i just took my business elsewhere
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If I am doing a long ride then I will check Google out and spot garages, etc. One can either top up using the water taps provided or pop in and buy a bottle of water with the bike propped against the glass windows. I only need 1 x 500ml bottle per 2 hours of UK weather but we are all different.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have a small wire bike combination lock like the one at the link below:
    http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p15234/Abus-C ... tAodGxgABg
    I only use it when popping into a café or shop for a minute. Wouldn't trust it in a big city or town or leaving the bike for any length of time, but it's handy to have for a quick stop, and small and light and fits easily in the back jersey pocket or saddlebag.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I've done loads of different things. Usually at a local shop or cafe is the best. I have asked people working in their garden in tiny little villages before. I once asked a farmer who was working in one of his sheds.

I usually find people are very happy to help - it's only water, doesn't cost them anything.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Call at an out of town garage, buy one bottle of water and one of Coke, mix, carry on.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I have a small wire bike combination lock like the one at the link below:
    http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p15234/Abus-C ... tAodGxgABg
    I only use it when popping into a café or shop for a minute. Wouldn't trust it in a big city or town or leaving the bike for any length of time, but it's handy to have for a quick stop, and small and light and fits easily in the back jersey pocket or saddlebag.

Same here
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I've just bought a small combination lock as I've left the bike outside too many dodgy shops and got away with it for too long
  • Schoie81
    Thanks guys. Like some of you have said, I don't tend to drink that much on a ride, so it has never been a problem yet - I tend to take one full bottle of water and return home having drunk very little of it. That said, I'm intending to up my distance this year (64miles is my longest ride to date...) and if I happen to be out on one of our few hot days here in Britain, I suspect I could end up drinking more and just wondered where other people stop to refill. Having had some very grumpy reactions in pubs and restaurants when requesting a glass of tap water I didn't know if the same frosty reception might be found from shops/cafes etc... if I wasn't spending any money there.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Having had some very grumpy reactions in pubs and restaurants when requesting a glass of tap water I didn't know if the same frosty reception might be found from shops/cafes etc... if I wasn't spending any money there.

I often bounce into cafes on audaxes and say something like "If I drop a pound coin into the tip box can you fill this bottle up with tap water please". It seems to work a treat :)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Having had some very grumpy reactions in pubs and restaurants when requesting a glass of tap water I didn't know if the same frosty reception might be found from shops/cafes etc... if I wasn't spending any money there.

I often bounce into cafes on audaxes and say something like "If I drop a pound coin into the tip box can you fill this bottle up with tap water please". It seems to work a treat :)
    Yep likewise - buying something from them goes aong way!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • It can be tricky if you're not carrying a lock - I have a choice to carry a lock or a second bottle, can't fit both!
  • Schoie81
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:

That's a great idea!! :D
  • i'm definately a supermarket person. i hate cafe stops as on sunday we were in there 40 minutes and i was grating to crack on after 10.
    when normally out on my own i'll target a supermarket and wheel my biek in and juggle bottled water/cash/card etc along with the bike whilst not trying to slip on the tiled floor :)
    i'll generally need to refill on anything over 60 miles
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • I usually try to carry enough with me, but for longer rides there will usually be a cafe stop, so I'll ask them to fill it up - never had a problem doing that. I'd never do it if I hadn't bought something from them though which I'd consider rude, on the other hand, if I bought coffee and cake and they refused to fill my bottle, I wouldn't be so keen to return (it is only tap water after all!).

Quite happy to buy bottled water from shops though, I have one of those small combi locks but also a larger coil lock with a padlock which I can squeeze into my saddlebag or wrap around the pannier rack (not ideal for weight weenies).

Another place I've heard people use - especially Audaxers - is the taps for watering flowers in graveyards. A bit grim if you ask me but I suppose it's good to know in an emergency!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    i'm definitely a supermarket person. i hate cafe stops as on sunday we were in there 40 minutes and i was grating to crack on after 10.
    when normally out on my own i'll target a supermarket and wheel my biek in and juggle bottled water/cash/card etc along with the bike whilst not trying to slip on the tiled floor :)
    i'll generally need to refill on anything over 60 miles
    I've never thought of wheeling my bike into a supermarket - but I might give it a try now. I always assumed you would have to leave the bike outside, so I have tended to avoid any supermarkets if I'm on my own.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Where are you guys cycling ? Tiny villages are the best places for a pop stop. No need for supermarkets.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Many churchyards have a tap for those tending graves and putting fresh flowers in. These can be ideal for water top-ups in rural areas especially.
  • another vote for buying water from petrol stations - they have glass frontage and tend to have CCTV so just leave bike where you can see it.