MTB ????

beefy99
beefy99 Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have not had a bike for years and am looking to get 1,I wish to use the bike on the roads and for trails so I think a hard tail is the way to go. I have found 3 bikes but am not sure as to which to buy? All 3 are around £500.

The first 2 are 2015 models

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... 61/15pitch

and

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... rockhopper

the only difference between these 2 I can see is frame design,handlebars,wheels and seat.

The last 1 is a 2014 model

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... -bike-sale

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    At that price range the best bike is the Voodoo Bizango from Halfords. Check out the on line reviews.

The downside is it is put together by Halfords who's staff have very variable ability and attention to detail. That being said you can sort most things out yourself easily enough.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Kajjal wrote:
    At that price range the best bike is the Voodoo Bizango from Halfords. Check out the on line reviews.

The downside is it is put together by Halfords who's staff have very variable ability and attention to detail. That being said you can sort most things out yourself easily enough.
    Get it right Halfords do not build the bikes.

They assemble no more and no less than the guy in the LBS or the Spesh. Concept store.

And there are some very good bike mechanics at all these places. There are also numpties.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

The last place I thought to look but it does have a decent spec,I was wondering why Specialized did not come with Shimano equipment which would have been my choice. Off to Halfords tomorrow it is.
  • kajjal
    nicklouse wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Get it right Halfords do not build the bikes.

They assemble no more and no less than the guy in the LBS or the Spesh. Concept store.

And there are some very good bike mechanics at all these places. There are also numpties.

I didn't say they built the bikes from components just they do the final checks and tweaks :)

Unlike a good local bike shop Halfords have a much more varied track record in the quality of their work.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As opposed to a bad LBS?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kajjal wrote:
    I didn't say they built the bikes from components just they do the final checks and tweaks :)
    You said put together which is neither of those and could imply either, to the uninitiated it would imply the former I think?

It's called a PDI (by both halfords and Voodoo), so using that term would perhaps be more sensible?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • For your budget I'd look at Carrera or Voodoo from Halfords HERE.

Get a British Cycling Membership and you can get 10% off the price (inc. sale prices) at Halfords (and possibly CRC too in the near future!).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    As opposed to a bad LBS?

That would be my local independent shop. The local Halfords is much better.
  • Rockhopper a good bike. And Im not blowing smoke up the "Buy a Bizango" brigade there are plenty out there that suitable
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rockhopper isn't very good for the money. The Voodoo or Carrera are loads better
  • kajjal
    The Rockhopper isn't very good for the money. The Voodoo or Carrera are loads better

This is the problem, especially at the lower price end of the market unless discounted the big brands are not as good value normally.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    No-one's mentioned the bikes at Decathlon yet, so I thought I should.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rockhopper is a decent enough bike, but a bad buy. So why pay more for the same quality or get lower quality for the same price....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi All,

Went to Halfords yesterday and and they did`nt have the Bizango for me see which frame size would suit me and I told them that I wanted to order it online as they had a 10% off on bikes online only deal,so they said to order the 20" frame and they will build it and I can go have a look to make sure it fits and if not they will order the smaller frame. So I could have it by 4pm tomorrow,all the story's about poor assembly was the reason why I did not give Halfords a thought,who knew you could get a better bike there then in a bike only store?(Stonehenge cycles) I will check it over once I get it home and if it`s as good as the reviews and public say I`m sure I have a whale of a time tearing around Wiltshire on it. Thanks for all your input and I`ll keep you posted.
  • kajjal
    Enjoy the bike :)
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    With regards to Halfords, I had no problems with mine other than having to nip the stem bolts up after a few weeks as a bit of play had developed, but that's par for the course with a new bike, some things can work loose being brand new and all. Halfords offer a free 6 week inspection which I believe is in order to address this but I couldn't be bothered transporting the bike back to the shop.

Depends entirely on the member of staff, be it chain shop or LBS, the difference is 1% of unsatisfied customers at an LBS might represent only 1 person who you may well never hear about, where as 1% at something like Halfords could easily represent 1000 people so you are much more likely to hear about it.