Convert Shimano 8spd to 10spd

ads77
ads77 Posts: 57
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a retro Cannondale R800 with 8 speed Shimano 105. If I wanted to convert this to a newer 10spd which parts would I need to change? e.g. Rear Derailleur, Cassette, Right Shifter / Brake Lever.

Cheers.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    10sp cassette, chain, rear mech and r/h shifter would be the minimum.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    10sp cassette, chain, r/h shifter

Both derailleurs will be fine, as will chainset, brakes and l/h front shifter
  • Bear in mind 10 speed is already surpassed, so unless you have a very good reason to do it, I wouldn't bother to be honest.
    left the forum March 2023
  • ads77
    Thanks all.
  • ads77
    Thanks Ugo,

The main reason is to upgrade the parts which are old now (and feel old) at minimal cost / bang for buck. Any suggestions of the best way to go would be welcome.

Thanks again.
  • Shifters are expensive even at Tiagra level you are looking at 100 quid for a pair.
    For some Reason Campagnolo are better priced, you can get Athena 11 speed for the same money. Interestingly, Athena 11 will shift Shimano 9 Cassettes with a Shimano rear derailleur. I use this setup and is smooth as silk. Just a thought to get more out of your money. 9 speed shimano cassettes and chains are cheap as chips and you can even use MTB cassettes if you pair the shifters with a 9 speed MTB rear derailleur... plenty of options
    left the forum March 2023
  • ads77
    Thanks Ugo, really appreciate the info.