What's oil got to do with it

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2015 in Pro race
Interesting read from the Race Radio

http://theraceradio.com/whats-oil-got-to-do-with-it/

He comes across like a low-rent Inrng but the content is interesting enough
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    I hate it when sports fans get all over excited that the sexy real world is affecting their sport.

Bleugh.

It's not hard. Russians make money selling oil. Oil isn't worth much anymore, so Russian currency devalues. Ergo, Russians have less money to buy non-Russian stuff than they used to.

Russians own bike racing teams. Those teams therefore just got more expensive. Big whoop.

It's worth knowing but it's hardly exciting.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Wasn't the piece mainly a re-hash of various articles that have already been written. Russia's economy is going to face a whole lot of pain and its not just cycling that will feel it... some ski resorts might be a lot quieter this season.

Interesting move by Race Radio to move from Twitter to blogging (wasn't he at the Clinic for a while as well?). He doesn't have INRNG's style yet. But let's see where it goes...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    As an aside, I don't think Scotland realise how big a bullet they dodged in September.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    As an aside, I'm not sure you've noticed that Scotland isn't a person.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    More to the point, no bullet has been dodged (yet) as the UK would still currently exist in its current shape regardless of the outcome of the election in September.

And I voted 'no', for the record.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    Those UCI fines are now 20% more expensive.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Murderous move isn't it. 46% of Polish mortgages are CHF and even higher in Hungary.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    As an aside, I don't think Scotland realise how big a bullet they dodged in September.

Sure did dodge a bullet, 4 more years of the Tories with UKIP to make up their numbers. Yup, umptine hundreds of billions of pounds to renew trident, when we have hospitals performing at their worst in decades. Dodged a bullet there.

I voted Yes.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    sjmclean wrote:
    umptine
    Don't think education's performing that well either
  • rick_chasey

More importantly, totally forgot, Saxo Bank are basically a big FX platform, so they, unsurprisingly, got hit quite hard.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... anc-losses

Appreciate swiss FX is less sexy than dodgy Russians but is probably more likely to have a direct impact.
  • rick_chasey
    Danish krone is also all over the place and the DCB is struggling to defend it so that'll probably go too - given Saxo Bank is Danish that probably won't help either ;) (unless they've learned from the Swiss stuff)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    sjmclean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Sure did dodge a bullet, 4 more years of the Tories with UKIP to make up their numbers. Yup, umptine hundreds of billions of pounds to renew trident, when we have hospitals performing at their worst in decades. Dodged a bullet there.

I voted Yes.

You dodged a big bullet. London supports the whole of the GB financially. Without that you would be much worse off. We are worse off in England because of the no vote. But that is better than seeing Scots suffer.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Are we really doing this?
  • The_Boy
    Makes a change from the usual, tbf.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:
    You dodged a big bullet. London supports the whole of the GB financially. Without that you would be much worse off. We are worse off in England because of the no vote. But that is better than seeing Scots suffer.

And in return it appears that the good tax payers of the entire UK will bail-out their incompetent asses in perpetuity. Good luck with your independent city state. I'm sure the oligarchs and sheikhs will be as keen as the Tories to keep the gamblers on the teat.

(I didn't get a vote because the separatists gerrymandered the electorate, favouring any new resident from wherever, over UK-resident Scots. I would have voted no because the case for separation read like a toxic CDO prospectus: appropriate given that Salmond is an ex-RBS 'economist' advisor to Fred the Shred)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah I refloated the thread because of Saxo Banks heavy heavy FX losses (which almost took them under), not for boring Scotland chat. There's enough of that on cake stop :P
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon! Good to see you are still around.

Interesting last point that I didn't know about Alex.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Just taking a break from the struggle. Salmond's skeletons are legion, just obscured by his massive lies about oil projections.
    SCOTLAND’S first minister Alex Salmond’s enthusiastic backing of Royal Bank of Scotland’s disastrous takeover of ABN Amro returned to haunt him yesterday.A letter, released yesterday, shows that Salmond wrote to RBS boss Sir Fred Goodwin (pictured) in May 2007 to throw his weight behind the bank’s disastrous purchase.

Signing the note, “Yours for Scotland”, Salmond said he “would like to offer any assistance my office can provide”.
    :D

Alex-Salmond-and-Rupert-M-007.jpg
    Mr Progressive with his puppeteer.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks for the link.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Macaloon wrote:

Just taking a break from the struggle. Salmond's skeletons are legion, just obscured by his massive lies about oil projections.
    SCOTLAND’S first minister Alex Salmond’s enthusiastic backing of Royal Bank of Scotland’s disastrous takeover of ABN Amro returned to haunt him yesterday.A letter, released yesterday, shows that Salmond wrote to RBS boss Sir Fred Goodwin (pictured) in May 2007 to throw his weight behind the bank’s disastrous purchase.

Signing the note, “Yours for Scotland”, Salmond said he “would like to offer any assistance my office can provide”.
    :D

Alex-Salmond-and-Rupert-M-007.jpg
    Mr Progressive with his puppeteer.

He's a slippery fish, that one.