Login problems

Chris
Chris Posts: 81
Hi everyone,

We're aware of a few login related issues which people have been encountering across various devices recently and are working hard to find the issues and get them fixed.

One issue which has been impacting people is on mobile devices when you enter your login information, click login and then nothing happens on the below screen:

pHNe2ET.png

Once you click Log In it does actually log you in, it just rather annoyingly doesn't tell you that it was successful. So once you've clicked Log In, just navigate to http://www.BikeRadar.com forum or homepage and you should be logged in as desired.

Thanks for your patience whilst we work on fixing this.

Chris

Comments

• satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Haven't tried mobile devices but just discovered I cannot login with Google Chrome (39.0.2171.95 m) on Windows. Login with Firefox (34.0.5) is clunky, and the login screen doesn't go away unless a link elsewhere on the page is followed. With IE (10.0.9200.17183) all is good, but I never use that if I can avoid it. OS is Windows 8 (v6.2 build 9200 with all the patches) if that matters.

The old website was a lot less problematic and didn't appear to break in several years...

Later,
    Stephen
  • Chris
    Thanks for the info, I shall take a look with these browsers and see what's going on.

Does it give you an error message in Chrome? Which stage does it fail at for you?

Chris
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Hi Chris,

There's no error message, it just goes back to the home page when the login button is clicked and then nothing happens without manual intervention. If the head icon at the top of the page is clicked it's possible to bring up the login stuff but then, as with Firefox, this panel doesn't go away after saying one is logged in, which means it covers the menu bar below it.

Clicking elsewhere or cutting or pasting in a URL seems to work, so it is actually possible to login via Chrome, just not at all obvious.

Apologies,
    Stephen
  • Chris
    Thanks very much Stephen, I'll take a look. A couple of the points you've raised I had already sent over to a developer to look at so they should be well under way! :)

Thanks again,

Chris
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I've not been able to login via internet explorer for a couple of week. I just done so on Google Chrome and it's OK.
  • BonnyCH
    BonnyCH Posts: 29
    whoof wrote:
    I've not been able to login via internet explorer for a couple of week. I just done so on Google Chrome and it's OK.

I'm sorry about that. Can you let us know what version of Internet Explorer you're using?

Thank you,

Bonny
    Part of the BikeRadar Digital Team - Interim Community Manager (holiday cover for AndyEd)
  • Can't login on Chrome, Android.

It sends me to the home page. Click on the horizontal lines but they turn vertical then back to horizontal. So never get to the login box.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    BonnyCH wrote:
    whoof wrote:

I'm sorry about that. Can you let us know what version of Internet Explorer you're using?

Thank you,

Bonny

Sorry I don't know nor know how to know. But it's started to work again now.
  • Chris
    Can't login on Chrome, Android.

It sends me to the home page. Click on the horizontal lines but they turn vertical then back to horizontal. So never get to the login box.

Would you kindly let us know which mobile device you're using? I'll see if I can source one if we haven't got it already and take a look.

Thanks,

Chris
  • LG G3 on lollipop
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Chris
    Thanks very much. I'll see if I can get ahold of one.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Hi

Cant logon at all with a dell laptop running win 7 32 bit ie 11, when I click logon/reply etc I go to home page but nothing else. this started happening before your latest mtce period - Firefox used to work but now doesn't since mtce, doesn't work with Chrome either.
    my hp work laptop win 7 64bit ie 11 has kept me logged in, hence I can post this! same isp.

Have installed latest java and shockwave, also cleared temp ie files/cookies etc

any ideas?????
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    We're working on this and a related problem with joining, will let you know when it's live
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Hi. For several weeks now I've been unable to log in on my Mac. I input my username and password no problem, but when I hit "Log in" I'm sent to the last forum page I visited with the little box in the top right button still saying "Log in". I'm given the option to start a new topic or reply to a post, but as soon as I hit either button I'm dumped back at the homepage. Very frustrating.

Any help appreciated.
  • Chris
    Hi Jonny,

Sorry that you're experiencing login issues. It may be worth clearing your browser cache and cookies if you've not done so already. Here's how to do that:

Safari
    - Close all but one Safari tabs
    - Click the 'Safari' menu drop down at the top of the screen
    - Click 'Reset Safari...'
    - Tick the 'Remove all website data'
    - Click 'Reset'

Chrome
    - Close all but one browser tabs
    - Press Cmd + Shift + Backspace
    - Tick the 'Cookies and other site and plug-in data' and 'Cached images and files' boxes
    - Select 'the beginning of time' from the drop down
    - Click 'Clear browsing data'

After you've done that, if you could try again that would be grand. You could try logging in from the BikeRadar homepage, by clicking the icon with a man wearing a helmet in the top right hand side of the page. Once you've logged in there, you should be automatically logged into the forum as well.

Let me know how you get on!
  • Thanks, Chris, but that didn't solve it. Same problem, I'm afraid. It looks like all is good to go, but as soon as I hit "submit" when making a post I'm sent back to the homepage and am logged out

I can't even log in on my iPhone now, as nothing happens once I've entered my details and hit the "log in" button. I've had to fire up an old iPad to reply to you.

Ps. I use Safari

Cheers
  • louse
    louse Posts: 80
    Just logged in with the iPhone. Did seem to get stuck on the login but but did work.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Still loads of problems with the log in. A friend of mine wanted to sign in to look at a bike for sale. Failed using phone, tablet and laptop. This problem must be losing you a lot of forum traffic.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • duckers
    duckers Posts: 167
    Not having login trouble but I cant send personal messages, I now have 5 stuck in my outbox....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    duckers wrote:
    Not having login trouble but I cant send personal messages, I now have 5 stuck in my outbox....
    And as always they will stay there untill the recipient reads them. It is not email.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    On the new beta home page I cannot login with an Android phone using Chrome. Tried two devices and it wont work.
    I can enter my user name but then it freezes and i cant enter my password.
    I tried with two separate devices, both with Amdroid and chrome and got the sane result.
  • Chris
    Hi RockmonkeySC,

Sorry you're experiencing issues. Have you tried clearing your cache in Chrome? Easiest way to do this is:

1. Open Chrome
    2. Press three little dots in the top right
    3. Press 'History'
    4. Press 'Clear browsing data...' at the bottom of the screen
    5. Tick the 'Clear the cache' and 'Clear cookies, site data' boxes
    6. Press clear

If you reload the BikeRadar page and then try logging in, would you let me know if this has fixed it?

Many thanks.
  • Thanks, Chris, but that didn't solve it. Same problem, I'm afraid. It looks like all is good to go, but as soon as I hit "submit" when making a post I'm sent back to the homepage and am logged out

I can't even log in on my iPhone now, as nothing happens once I've entered my details and hit the "log in" button. I've had to fire up an old iPad to reply to you.

Ps. I use Safari

Cheers

I'm still suffering the same and have cleared the cache on my iPhone too. Any more suggestions or am I to accept I can no longer take part in the forums?

Thanks.
  • Chris
    Thanks, Chris, but that didn't solve it. Same problem, I'm afraid. It looks like all is good to go, but as soon as I hit "submit" when making a post I'm sent back to the homepage and am logged out

Ps. I use Safari

Cheers

I'm still suffering the same and have cleared the cache on my iPhone too. Any more suggestions or am I to accept I can no longer take part in the forums?

Thanks.

Sorry you're still having problems with this. Let me look into it and see if I can find what is going on.
  • Chris wrote:
    Thanks, Chris, but that didn't solve it. Same problem, I'm afraid. It looks like all is good to go, but as soon as I hit "submit" when making a post I'm sent back to the homepage and am logged out

Ps. I use Safari

Cheers

Thanks.

Sorry you're still having problems with this. Let me look into it and see if I can find what is going on.

Thanks, Chris.

Strangely I'm back on on the iPhone without actually needing to log in. I wonder if logging in on the iPad somehow got me through the back door.
  • Chris
    It may well be that you did get logged in on the iPhone, but the website didn't tell you as such. This is a bug we're working on a fix for. :]

Either way, I'm glad you've managed to get back in. We've got a few things in the pipeline which should sort the various issues you've been experiencing, or at the very least provide alternative routes to logging in.
  • devonroads
    devonroads Posts: 584
    Thought i'd re-ignite this post rather than start a new thread. got advised by the mods to post on here. I cannot log on to BR via my android phone. Never been an issue before but it is now. Very frustrating I can log in on the p.c fine but not the phone. it tells me it doesn't recognise the password.
    Help appreciated please( having read posts on here i've cleared cache etc ) but no joy thanks jon
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    No longer able to login to the site from Android phones - tried Chrome, stock browser and Firefox. All the same. Happens on more that one device also.

Click logon, it returns you to the homepage and then nothing - no pop up. Nowt.

Current phone for detail:

LG G3
    Android 5.0
    Kernel 3.4.0
    Chrome v42.0.2272.96
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Chris
    Are you sure that it's not actually logged you in, Daz? There's an issue we're aware of where you click 'Login' and nothing appears to happen, but if you then navigate to the forum you are indeed logged in.

devonroads - Which browser are you using on your phone?

Many thanks

Chris
  • devonroads
    devonroads Posts: 584
    hi chris, thanks for posting. i'm using dolphin browser. it used to be an issue with my old android phone logging in but since ii upgraded to a galaxy s4 mini it has never been an issue up until now. cheers jon