Groupset construction

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited January 2015 in Workshop
OK, so I've stripped my bike. I'm now going to give the bike and good degreasing and shine before adding my new groupset... I'm thinking BB, front cogs and cranks then front mech followed by the rear. My wheels then chain before moving onto the STI's then new cables and finally the bar tape.

Anyone see any reason that wouldn't be suitable? I've never done a whole groupset only the components separately over time so quite excited about getting stuck in for the whole hog!

Any advice greatly appreciated and no doubt I'll have a few threads of 'how to' to follow ;)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No sure what you are asking..??
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Start with checking , cleaning, replacing parts if necessary and rebuild headset.
    Put the frame in a workstand or hang it on the ceiling and mount BB /crankset.
  • jefflad
    just looking for any advice on the order of replacing the removed items... I've set out the order i think would work best but if anyone else has done this before and I should add any particular component before another or the like... does that make sense?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The order seems logical - but as long as the right bits end up in the right places, that's all that really matters...
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    It really doesnt matter which order the components go on. The chain should be the last thing you install. Then move on to routing and attaching the cables.
  • jefflad
    OK... thanks! The only thing that worries me is the front and rear mech, having never set them up from new before but watching youtube makes it look so easy ;)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    As mentioned above, if you are not replacing the headset, then strip clean and re-grease. Your build order is fine, after you have fitted the BB and Chainset, fit the front and rear derailleurs and set the limit screws (stroke adjustment), before you attach the cables and set up the indexing. If you have bought a complete groupset it should come with the all the Shimano data/set up instruction sheets so refer to them. Take you time and remember to double check your measurements before you cut the cables to length.
  • jefflad
    DJ58 wrote:
    As mentioned above, if you are not replacing the headset, then strip clean and re-grease. Your build order is fine, after you have fitted the BB and Chainset, fit the front and rear derailleurs and set the limit screws (stroke adjustment), before you attach the cables and set up the indexing. If you have bought a complete groupset it should come with the all the Shimano data/set up instruction sheets so refer to them. Take you time and remember to double check your measurements before you cut the cables to length.

Thanks... sounds solid advice
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    jefflad wrote:
    OK... thanks! The only thing that worries me is the front and rear mech, having never set them up from new before but watching youtube makes it look so easy ;)

Bit of a short cut then through all those YouTube clips - some of which are just irritating and others are a bit complex in their approach.

Best rear derailleur set up video IMHO:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

Best for front derailleur set up IMHO

http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/mainten ... gEexdlW.97

I'm sure there are some others but I would stick with those as a starting point.that
  • jefflad
    arlowood wrote:
    jefflad wrote:

Bit of a short cut then through all those YouTube clips - some of which are just irritating and others are a bit complex in their approach.

Best rear derailleur set up video IMHO:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

Best for front derailleur set up IMHO

http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/mainten ... gEexdlW.97

I'm sure there are some others but I would stick with those as a starting point.that

Superb! Thanks very much :)