Merida Reacto

Ricey83
Ricey83 Posts: 103
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at upgrading my Giant Defy 4 using the cycle to work scheme and stumbled on the Merida Reacto 400 and 500 http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p74461/Merida ... tAodfyAAxA

Awesome looking bike with quality components.

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Bit different to the Defy in terms of Geometry. I have a Defy, I would be in traction for a week after 5 minutes on that.
  • Ricey83
    Haha I would definitely need to test ride one before I buy.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Yeah much lower and much longer than a Defy. Have a look at the Scultura models for something inbetween.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Depends ho nimble you are. I've just purchased a Reacto 4000 to replace one of my current bikes, both of which are set up low on the front. I've done 100+ mile rides on them without stops with no aches or pains.

On a separate note, look at some of the European outlets where you can make considerable savings over what price you'll pay here. I saved £250 on the list for a 4000 and it was the only place I could find a frames in my size.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • holiver
    Which European outlets? :)
  • Ricey83
    holiver wrote:
    Yeah much lower and much longer than a Defy. Have a look at the Scultura models for something inbetween.

It's the look of the frame that I like with the Reacto, awesome looking bike. The Reacto 500 in red looks stunning.

Is it worth the extra £400-500 to go for the Carbon 4000?

I'm looking to use the Cycle to work scheme and top it up with the extra cash.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The aesthetics of the Reacto seem a bit controversial. I've seen a fair few comments slating the paint schemes. I personally think they look quite nice. I didn't realise there was an alloy version.
  • Ricey83
    Ai_1 wrote:
    The aesthetics of the Reacto seem a bit controversial. I've seen a fair few comments slating the paint schemes. I personally think they look quite nice. I didn't realise there was an alloy version.

The Reacto 400 and 500 are Alloy with 105 and Ultegra groups, great specs.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    holiver wrote:

I bought my 4000 from Ciclobottega and even with shipping and insurance costs, it comes in way under the UK price. It was also the only place that said they could get me a frame in the size I wanted.

http://www.ciclobottega.it/online-sales ... d/filter,2
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • holiver
    philthy3 wrote:
    holiver wrote:

I bought my 4000 from Ciclobottega and even with shipping and insurance costs, it comes in way under the UK price. It was also the only place that said they could get me a frame in the size I wanted.

http://www.ciclobottega.it/online-sales ... d/filter,2
    Thanks buddy.
    Ricey83 wrote:
    It's the look of the frame that I like with the Reacto, awesome looking bike. The Reacto 500 in red looks stunning.
    If you like the look of the Reacto, check out the Fuji Transonic too.
  • Ricey83
    Fuji Transonic, very nice.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I had a few weeks riding the lampre team version up the mountains in mallorca. Really impressive bikes and a big following on the continent. There is a company in mallorca that rents them out and everybody seemed to enioy they. I enjoyed the time on the one i was using.