Parentini Mossa

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited September 2018 in Road general
Thought I post a separate topic to discuss the relative merits of the Mossa, rather than have it mentioned a la "Neil Pryde" spam post style in the new Gabba thread.

In short Parentini claim:

1. It is wearable from 0C to 15C.
2. It is windproof.
3. It is fully waterproof and fully breathable.

If the above is true then it covers a very wide spectrum of the typical British weather - a veritable holy grail of a cycling jersey. With this in mind and allowing for the increasing popularity of cycling in Britain, you would not expect the distribution of this jersey to be curiously muted - I cannot find it for sale anyway by a UK based outfit for example.

It has recently received a rave review:
http://road.cc/content/review/140863-pa ... ssa-jersey

It would be interesting to know the opinions of anyone who has this jersey and what they actually think of it.

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I have one. It's superb. The fit is very good as the fabric is very stretchy, and despite being a thin garment, providing you're riding briskly, you keep warm. Depending on the outside weather I use a variety of different weight underlayer. However the one that works best is an equally thin polypropelene Parentini layer, as this wicks away the sweat far better. Although I use this when it's a little milder outside.

It lives up to it's claims and can be machine washed as the Mossa doesn't have a water repellency treatment, the water proof properties come from the laminate fabric. It can even be custom printed, so any race teams and cycling clubs can have a foul weather racing jacket printed in their club colours.

With this and my Parentini 2100 Winter jacket, I don't really need any other winter top.

I've been introduced to Parentini by Zetta, who I dealt with when I bought my Legend, and the clothing is very good quality. On a par with Assos and Castelli etc. In fact I would say their own designed and manufactured inserts are the best I've ever used.
  • Mossa user for the last 6 month, found out about it while on holiday in italy, as LegendLust mention you can get it in the UK through the Parentini Distributor.great piece of kit, yes it is waterproof, what i find interesting about it, is that you dont feel too hot or cold, it really does keep pleasant body temperature. as long as you moving, you are warm.
    no more gilets, rain capes or mid season jackets.
    i also heard they have summer version made of anothe rfabric called arrowwind, interesting.
    on the list.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    It looks like this website is an option for getting hold of one:

http://www.ciclimattio.com/en/ciclismo/ ... 2015/81854

And with the Euro/Sterling rate as it is, E159 equates to around £120. And I presume this means postage would be free:
    "FOR PURCHASES OVER € 150 LE SHIPPING COSTS ARE IN ALL GRATUTITE THE WORLD" :D
  • letap73
    Just received a very nice e-mail from Zetta distribution with regards to how you can buy a Mossa:

We are in the process in allocating dealers across the UK, as you can appreciate this will take some time to do, not long we hope, however our approach and business module is different, we will refrain from selling the product online or via discounted big channels, we have different ideas on how to grow the brand in the UK market, we believe in local shops, therefore the idea is to sell through independent shops where service is key and Parentini won’t be just another brand filling an empty corner.

Any customer can easily purchase a Mossa, all it take is just one mail, we can ship anywhere in the UK. Customers can pay via bank transfer, card, PayPal etc. returns and exchange with no issue whatsoever.

The email address is: sales@zettadistribution.com
  • letap73
    Additional info received from Zetta:

Introducing The Mossa: Pronti per ogni tempo- ready for all weather conditions Definition/Name origin: Mossa- Italian: [dare una Mossa]: to have a go/try/push Mossa- is also the race start of the Palio Di Siena; the "Mossiere" checks the Contrade and assigns positions. Tuscan[As Parentini is] expression through and through.

Mossa is an Autumn/Winter garment from Parentini. It offers different approach to confronting foul weather from Zero temperature to 15°. It’s the ideal garment for fast winter riding and racing in various weather conditions.
    We offer two versions: Windtex [winter use] Arrowind [spring early summer use].

Material-Windtex: The fabric used on the MOSSA line is made up of a microfiber highly hydrophilic that carries the sweat to the Membrane which then lets it evaporate at regular speed. The Membrane is placed between two layers of microfiber which allows it to perform as a transmitter but also as a fence against the outer elements. The WINDTEX membrane is FULLY WATERPROOF by its nature, the outer fabric is WATER-REPELLENT thanks to the HYDRO treatment on the external fabric. This makes the Mossa extremely resistant against water, waterproof membrane and water repellent treatment which does not allow water to settle at any point. This allows the body to remain dry, wind protected hence warm.

Wear/cut: The Mossa is cut to wear just like a fitted cycling jersey, the contact between the body and the Mossa is essential to activate its technical characteristics. The Mossa fabric is light and elasticated so the fit is body-tight, with short front panel, anatomic cut, race forward position[the Mossa will appear short if worn and tried in straight standing position]. The Mossa is true to size, Parentini design team worked hard to ensure sizing is as always per Parentini sizing chart. Parentini offers garments TRUE-to-size. Your size will remain the same throughout the whole range from jackets, jersey, Gilet etc. the Mossa features un-sealed seams to maximize elasticity.

Tech details in numbers: The Windtex is 100% waterproof it has the capacity of 10.000 mm (ISO 20811) The Mossa as explained is naturally breathable: 12m Pa(ISO 11092) The Mossa is Windproof thanks to the Membrane: 1MM/Sec (EN ISO 9237) The Mossa is 100% machine washable; please do not use fabric softener.

Features:  The Mossa is available in short and long sleeves  The Mossa comes with protective rain tail [optional]  The Mossa is offered in two colours [Black and Fluro] in the Parentini range  The Mossa is available also in Arrow-wind material for Spring/early winter wear.

 The Mossa can be personalized in team colours.  Three rear pockets with light reflective seam  High collar with soft micro-fleece .  Elasticated contrast colour wrist band.  Full Hidden Zip  The Mossa is extremely flexible and stretch.

Use: The rider needs to maintain a certain average riding speed, raising his body temperature to activate the Mossa technical details. The Mossa is not an isolator from outer conditions, its rather an agent which works along the body to regulate its temperature and defends it. The Mossa will not keep you warm in standstill position or on a very slow rhythm ride. The body needs to generate heat for the fabric to do what its designed for. The Mossa should be worn with only an undergarment, the ideal recommended fabric is Polypropylene with carbon-we recommend the Parentini winter underwear layer with carbon, there must not be a great isolation between the Mossa and the body, Individuals can vary their choice of undergarment as they see suited, you need to know your body temperature and heat release value, some might require a light wool version or similar product.

The Mossa might have followed in the footsteps of similar product i.e. the Castelli Gabba, however we have taken the concept from different angle and back to drawing board to offer a different product with different technical details, the finish and details and above all the fabric used to produce the garment, makes it truly unique. The resemblances stop at the concept. A close look at the details or a test will eliminate any doubt that the Mossa is one of the best garments currently on the market.

Benefits:
    The Mossa is 100% Handmade in-house by Parentini in ITALY
    Webpage link: http://www.parentini.com/pagina.php?IDm ... ticolo=414
  • Yes I can see the informationthey added to show the details.

personally i can confirm it does what it says on the label

Best kit in the market for foul weather.
    having seen their range too, the P2100 jacket looks super warm, the shorts are not to bad too.
    I dont think they are the same size as bigger brands, but they offer alternative to mainstream with high quality finish.
  • It looks like this website is an option for getting hold of one:

http://www.ciclimattio.com/en/ciclismo/ ... 2015/81854

And with the Euro/Sterling rate as it is, E159 equates to around £120. And I presume this means postage would be free:

Out of stock though!!
    I also checked prices, the UK price is same as France,Denmark,Spain and all of Europe, seems only in italy about 10% less plus this web is offering more discount.
  • letap73
    I have just got my hands on a brand new Mossa so I going to find out it performs over the next few days and then post a review. I already own an Alpha jersey, a Gabba and an ASSOS Ij Habu so it should be interesting to see how they compare - if appropriate comparison can be made.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    What's the sizing like on these things?
  • letap73
    Flasher wrote:

I am Xl in both the Castelli Gabba and the Alpha - the Alpha is a tighter fit. I was advised to buy the large in the Parentini as it is indicated as true fit and it is supposed to fit very closely - which it does. The front does appear to be short - but it is designed for on the bike fit.
  • Flasher wrote:

the fit is true to size, I am Small normally[M is Castelli] the S fitted me perfect.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Flasher wrote:

I hover between Large and Medium in cycle kit – I ended up with a Large in the Mossa. So it's pretty much like for like.

It's advised to use a polypropelene undelayer with the Mossa - it transports sweat away a lot better
  • letap73
    LegendLust wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

I hover between Large and Medium in cycle kit – I ended up with a Large in the Mossa. So it's pretty much like for like.

It's advised to use a polypropelene undelayer with the Mossa - it transports sweat away a lot better

On my first ride with the Mossa, circa 1C - wind chill making it -1C, I combined it with a polyester base layer and it worked very well. Considering how thin and light the Mossa is - I was amazed that I could generate enough heat to keep me appropriately warm. On initial impressions I was most impressed with the wind proofing - the wind was very cold but I couldn't feel it on my torso. The fit and cut of the Mossa on the bike was excellent - no flappy fabric, perfect fit on the arms and a good fit at the front and back end -despite initial reservations about the short looking front end.

I will try the Mossa with a polypropylene base layer - ASSOS interactive fall base layer to see how well it works.
  • I agree i use Mossa short sleeves with arm warmers in temperature just over zero deg. with the Parentini underlayer and works good for me, dry and never have to zip down. also on rainy days no probs, the Mossa is waterproof.
    best money i ever spent on cycling gear.
  • letap73
    I have paired the Mossa with an ASSOS interactive base layer - the fall version which is apparently recommended for between 8C to 16C for a good couple of rides in 1-4C with a wind chill factor which has generally taken 3 or 4 C off ambient temperatures. In the range of temperatures tested I was impressed to find that I generated sufficient heat to feel comfortably warm. On some of the rides I could clearly detect the wind chill factor on my face, however, the Mossa provided excellent protection from the wind and as a consequence my torso remained warm on all aspects of any rides where I have worn the Mossa. My last ride - albeit a short one in the rain - demonstrated that the Mossa was certainly water resistant where as my bib tights weren't. When I get chance I hope to try it out in cold rainy conditions for an extended period to see how well it fares. I have just ordered the parentini under layer - as it is designed to be paired with the Mossa so it will interesting to see if it provides a perceptible difference to the ASSOS base layer.

One weakness of the Mossa is that it doesn't have a zipped pocket for stowing keys/cards/cash - this would be useful addition (the Alpha jersey has one which is perfect for stowing keys/cards/cash).
  • I can highly recommend the Mossa, two of my kids have them. they've been great in the recent winter weather with just a base layer. Comparable to my Assos rS.sturmPrinz EVO which was a lot more expensive.
  • letap73
    Finally, I had the opportunity to try out the Mossa in fairly unpleasant cold rainy and windy weather. The Mossa was successful in keeping me dry for the 30 minutes I was exposed to the wet - my ASSOS bibtights were soaked through. Impressively I was able to keep warm and towards the end of the ride - circa 3C I actually started to feel a little too warm. All in all, I would certainly vouch for it being windproof, it is very water resistant and its breathability is very acceptable. In terms of temperature range, it works well for me from about -1C to circa 7C - I haven't gone beyond this as I haven't experienced a warmer day than this with wind chill.
  • I have one too. Rode in some pretty decent rain and it was waterproof. Pretty breathable too, noticeably less damp than my previous bontrager jacket.

On zone two rides with a decent baselayer it's good right down to freezing. Below zone 2 for long periods and below 7 degrees you'd want a thicker baselayer or gilet over the top.

I've also ridden with it with a thin baselayer up to 13 degrees and it was fine, started to have to unzip going up hill when going over zone two at about 10 degrees.

I've been very happy with mine. I am usually a small in most tops and am a small in this (36 inch chest). A castelli Alpha I'm a medium.

My only gripe is a zip pocket on the back or a napoleon would be nice, but the three traditional pockets are a good size.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    It looks like this website is an option for getting hold of one:

http://www.ciclimattio.com/en/ciclismo/detail/PARENTINI_MOSSA_JACKET_WINDTEX_2015/81854

Ordered mine today from here, will report back as and when it arrives.
    Reviews on here and elsewhere appear to be glowing.
    My other jackets are a Mavic cyclone, Echappee, Giordana trade team jacket.
    I also have a ls Alpha jersey.
    Recent purchases I have yet to try, but which will be a useful comparison, are a ls gabba, and an 851 airjack.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I ordered a gabba 2 last week, it's arrived and fits really well but I'm struggling to think that I would use it. I tend to ride with a normal Jersey and either a race Cape (very light weight, waterproof, breathable-ish) or a rain jacket (rapha, waterproof, breathable-ish) if it's definitely going to rain.

The race Cape is a pretty smug fit, granted not quite as snug as a gabba or mossa but not far off. And it has the advantage of keeping everything underneath dry (phone on my pocket, Jersey, me, etc,etc). I get that I would be dry in the gabba/mossa and I wouldn't need to carry the race Cape, but I like the idea of everything in my picks staying protected and the extra flexibility an additional layer gives you. For the racers who don't want to take the 10 second pause to put a jacket on/off, I get it. But for me, what am I missing?
  • I ordered a gabba 2 last week, it's arrived and fits really well but I'm struggling to think that I would use it. I tend to ride with a normal Jersey and either a race Cape (very light weight, waterproof, breathable-ish) or a rain jacket (rapha, waterproof, breathable-ish) if it's definitely going to rain.

The race Cape is a pretty smug fit, granted not quite as snug as a gabba or mossa but not far off. And it has the advantage of keeping everything underneath dry (phone on my pocket, Jersey, me, etc,etc). I get that I would be dry in the gabba/mossa and I wouldn't need to carry the race Cape, but I like the idea of everything in my picks staying protected and the extra flexibility an additional layer gives you. For the racers who don't want to take the 10 second pause to put a jacket on/off, I get it. But for me, what am I missing?

The more layers you have the more heat you build up and the more material your sweat needs to transport through. So if you're riding hard (which is what the Mossa is designed for) then the less layers the more dryer you are, as your sweat only has two fabrics to get through. This is also the reason why the Mossa needs to be skin tight. The fabric layers sit closely together, allowing better transportation of the sweat.

http://www.ciclimattio.com/en/ciclismo/detail/PARENTINI_MOSSA_JACKET_WINDTEX_2015/81854

Recent purchases I have yet to try, but which will be a useful comparison, are a ls gabba, and an 851 airjack.

I have been on the fence about getting one of these over a Gabba as everyone has got one and I want something a bit different!

I've got both, and in brief...

Gabba, very breathable, not very waterproof (although it never claims to be completely waterproof)
    Mossa, very waterproof but not very breathable.
    In damp cool conditions I'll wear the Gabba, in wetter conditions when the Gabba might get soaked, then I'd wear the Mossa (and live with the condensation).

I have been on the fence about getting one of these over a Gabba as everyone has got one and I want something a bit different!

Gabba, very breathable, not very waterproof (although it never claims to be completely waterproof)
    In damp cool conditions I'll wear the Gabba, in wetter conditions when the Gabba might get soaked, then I'd wear the Mossa (and live with the condensation).

To get the best breathability out of the Mossa, you need to make sure it fits very tight and also use a polypropolene base layer

I second that, if you wearing Polyester underlayer you trapping the sweat, the Mossa is highly breathable.
    when i bought mine the guy told me to get short sleeves, if you get too warm you cal lower the sleeves and reduce you body temperature. i went by his recommendation and seems to work well.

To get the best breathability out of the Mossa, you need to make sure it fits very tight and also use a polypropolene base layer
  • Just got mine. Sadly might have to send it back due to a print issue but I can weigh in with my thoughts about the fit.

I'm 94cm chest and the Mossa Small (later 2015 model with the black band on the arm) fits spot on. I'd say it's slightly smaller my Gabba 2 Medium but due to being more stretchy it fits better (in my opinion) without much in the way of wrinkles when on the bike.

In terms of length it's 2cm shorter at the front and 6cm shorter at the back than a Gabba 2 Medium. In practice there doesn't feel like there's much in it though. If anything, I'd say the Gabba's a bit flappy around the bum whereas the Mossa contours much better. The length does mean the pockets are 2cm shorter than the Gabba 2 also, which could potentially be annoying as I cram them full of stuff normally.

My initial impression is that it's going to be slightly more sweaty than the Gabba 2... but having been made borderline hypothermic from my Gabba 2 getting soaked through at 3C with strong winds a few weekends back I think I'm willing to put up with that.

Quality-wise I'd say the Gabba's a bit above it if only because of the YKK zip; the Parentini one is a bit stiff although this is partly due to the super stretchiness of the material.

Hope that helps someone. I'll check back in, maybe, once I've had the chance to get in some miles.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cut to the chase guys, has anyone got laid yet due to the Mossa?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205

Now your talking. I did when I wore a Nurses uniform.......
  • letap73

The ladies in the office have remarked that the Mossa in black makes me look slimmer - not quite the figure of lust but a long away from the fat t%at in the Gabba looks that I usually get.
  • Mine's just arrived. In orange. Which is very striking. I'm testing it with the "MAGLIA MANICA LUNGA SEAMLESS PESANTE CARBON" baselayer (sorry, was easier than typing it). Thoughts soon and will appear on my blog below
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.