Who's in Aberdeen *or near !

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Hey just moved to Aberdeen for work and looking to find some people / places to ride.

7 Staines is about 4 hrs form me so not ideal but there must be some great trails closer ?

So who's about and what and where do you ride :)

Comments

• afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Hi fella.
    I am a few miles out of Aberdeen in Insch, moved up from The South coast 4 years ago and spookily lived in Norfolk prior to that.
    There's a few great places to ride up here.
    In terms of MTB there's the following on your doorstep;

Kirkhill Forest
    Located just past Dyce on the A96
    Never ridden it myself but it is supposed to be quite good.

Bennachie, near Oyne
    This is my usual haunt when I ride off road.
    Go from the Back O Bennachie Car Park and follow the fire trails and single track right to the summit, 500m.
    Fab views, great mud plugging and very technical riding in places

Other nearby MTB specific trails include;
    Glenlivet near Tomintoul
    Moray Monster trails near Fochabers

Regards
    Ian
    I ride therefore I am
  • Thanks for the reply. Do you still ride? What sort of riding you into ? Im looking for someone to show me about - not fussed about traveling :D PS spooky about Norfolk. Which part
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might be stuff in here
    viewforum.php?f=40067
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • afcbian
    It was Swanton Morley, near Dereham.
    I mostly do road riding but was more into MTB before I moved here and still like to mud plug when possible. Not a downhiller, like trail riding and I have a Carbon Giantc Xtc hardtail.
    We run a small, friendly cycling club in Insch (Insch CC) which we started in 2013. Search facebook for Insch CC.
    We ride at least twice a week, weather permitting. Age group varies from 30 to 50.
    Happy to drop you an email next time we go out, feel free to PM me.
    Do you only ride MTB ?
    There a number of decent clubs in the area, Ythan, Deeside and Aberdeen Wheelers to name a few.

Nowhere near as friendly and socially focussed as us though !
    I ride therefore I am
  • afcbian wrote:
    It was Swanton Morley, near Dereham.
    I mostly do road riding but was more into MTB before I moved here and still like to mud plug when possible. Not a downhiller, like trail riding and I have a Carbon Giantc Xtc hardtail.
    We run a small, friendly cycling club in Insch (Insch CC) which we started in 2013. Search facebook for Insch CC.
    We ride at least twice a week, weather permitting. Age group varies from 30 to 50.
    Happy to drop you an email next time we go out, feel free to PM me.
    Do you only ride MTB ?
    There a number of decent clubs in the area, Ythan, Deeside and Aberdeen Wheelers to name a few.

Nowhere near as friendly and socially focussed as us though !

I ride downhill, but less so now as new job means injurys are a big no no. I love a good trail ride the blue trails i like fast and flowy but cant beat a good steep back :)

I used to spend a lot of time in a bike shop back home and ride for / with them. It's a road bike shop but my taste has always been to expensive for my budget ! so i dont have a road bike. I've been thinking about getting a cheapish one for up here though and perhaps youve given me a kick up the bumb to buy one !

It'll have to be cheap mind you ! let me know if you see one about 5,10" then i can come play ! :)
  • afcbian
    I have several road bikes from pricey to cheap.
    Happy to lend you one if you fancy a spin with us.
    I am 5'8" so size is not an issue
    I ride therefore I am
  • afcbian wrote:
    I have several road bikes from pricey to cheap.
    Happy to lend you one if you fancy a spin with us.
    I am 5'8" so size is not an issue

Switching to PM :)
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Check out Pitfichie/Cairn William trails. Just off the A944 (Signposted for Whitehills Stone Circle and the Trails)

They were specifically made for MTBing to try and discourage too much use on the busy pedestrian paths of Bennachie.

Way better too. Good Red Route over the top of Cairn William then a fabbo orange down the other side of Pitfichie.
  • Qube wrote:
    Check out Pitfichie/Cairn William trails. Just off the A944 (Signposted for Whitehills Stone Circle and the Trails)

They were specifically made for MTBing to try and discourage too much use on the busy pedestrian paths of Bennachie.

Way better too. Good Red Route over the top of Cairn William then a fabbo orange down the other side of Pitfichie.

Decent mate thanks, I have heard good things about this pitfichie place but never heard of the other one, ill youtube it now :) Are you local yourself ?
  • Road Kirkhill yesterday, appalling wind and blizzard like snow at times. The mud was like nothing i have ever ridden in before.

But i enjoyed it ! Looking forward to going back . . .

Although the muddy conditions made me want a road bike even more !
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899

Kirkhill Forest is no easier on a road bike!! :D
  • Qube wrote:

Kirkhill Forest is no easier on a road bike!! :D

There goes that plan :D ha !