Ultimate solution to sweat in eyes / on sunglasses?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited January 2015 in Road general
I actually found the solution to this problem a year or two ago, but it's not ideal for reasons I'll explain.

I use the halo headband underneath my helmet (with the front helmet pad removed). It works perfectly - completely solves the incredibly annoying problem of sweat ending up on the inside of the sunglasses. But... it always leaves a really obvious, deep, linear impression right across the skin of my forehead that takes /hours/ to fade. So if I go for a ride in the morning I have to spend much of the rest of the day looking like I've had the top of my skull surgically removed and then reattached... Of course it's the tight fit of the little rubber strip on the inside of the halo that blocks the sweat, so I can't see an obvious way around this.

Any other solutions?

Comments

• crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Wear a cap in the summer. When it gets sweaty, exchange it for the other cap you brought in your pocket.
    Wear a warm hat in winter. When it gets sweaty, turn it round a bit.

Both these time honoured solutions work, but do omit the helmet which many people struggle with.

...and sometimes, on nice days, I don't wear anything on my head at all...
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    crikey wrote:
    Wear a cap in the summer. When it gets sweaty, exchange it for the other cap you brought in your pocket.
    Wear a warm hat in winter. When it gets sweaty, turn it round a bit.

Both these time honoured solutions work, but do omit the helmet which many people struggle with.

...and sometimes, on nice days, I don't wear anything on my head at all...

Lots of people wear skull caps or cycling caps under helmets.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Lots of people wear skull caps or cycling caps under helmets

Wow, that never occurred to me. :roll:
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    neeb wrote:

so I can't see an obvious way around this.

Any other solutions?

Yep

keep-calm-and-htfu-mate.png

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule 5.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    crikey wrote:
    Lots of people wear skull caps or cycling caps under helmets

Wow, that never occurred to me. :roll:
    crikey wrote:

:roll: :roll:
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    A thin smear of vaseline above your eyebrows and down to the side of your eye will 'divert' the sweat from your eyes. It only has to be a tiny bit, not even enough to be visible.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Brakeless wrote:
    A thin smear of vaseline above your eyebrows and down to the side of your eye will 'divert' the sweat from your eyes. It only has to be a tiny bit, not even enough to be visible.

This.
    M.Rushton
  • neeb
    Brakeless wrote:
    Never heard of that one, sounds worth a go!
  • neeb
    Slowmart wrote:
    neeb wrote:

so I can't see an obvious way around this.

Any other solutions?

Yep

keep-calm-and-htfu-mate.png

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule 5.
    Yes, well, thanks for that. And just to HTFU some more I'll chuck some chilli powder in my bibshorts.. :wink:
  • Buffs
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    There is a solution that has been around for decades.

It is a little cotton cap (or casquette). It does everything you'll ever need of a cycling hat apart from keeping your ears warm on a cold day.

It has a peak that is stiff enough to be worn raised or (when the sun is low) lowered. It soaks up all your sweat and fits in the tiniest pocket.

In the winter, a cap comforter (or beanie or similar) keeps the ears warm - or you can wear one of those headband things which cover the shell-likes.

In recent years bicyclists have started to wear helmets even when not racing. Helmets are lovely and they have slots to stick your glasses into, but they make it almost impossible to scratch an itchy or sweaty scalp and they are a pain to lug around. I rarely wear one.

You may find that other views conflict with mine. You may rest assured that dissent in this matter is a mistake. I am right and was born right. Anyone who disagrees is a fool and probably worse. I say this within a positive approach to open debate.
  • Debeli wrote:
    You may find that other views conflict with mine. You may rest assured that dissent in this matter is a mistake. I am right and was born right. Anyone who disagrees is a fool and probably worse. I say this within a positive approach to open debate.

Genuinely that is the best no helmet post I have ever read, chapeau sir (no pun intended) I thought all the funny things that could be said about this had been said but this is superb :D

PS I shall steal your rationale and explanation for why you are right and shamelessly pass it off as my own.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Assos Robofoil skull cap ... Stops the need for sunblock (which just compounds the dripping sweat issue) and keeps the sweat of your face (and helmet). It's £25 but you get what you pay for.

In the colder months, a casquette does the same job (but warmer).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Halo sweatband for me. Joins by velcro. Solved my problems of getting sweat in my eyes. The ridge on my forehead is pretty much gone by the time I've had a shower.

Black-Halo-II-pullover-mtbr.jpg
  • Cycling cap under helmet, if mild, or sunny. Folded over buff if ears need covering as well.

Job done, and no smelly helmet either!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you wearing your helmet just too tight ? Try loosening it off ? It shouldnt be marking you.

I'm with the Buff in the winter and a cap in the summer/rain.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Cycling cap under helmet, if mild, or sunny. Folded over buff if ears need covering as well.

Yeah, my preferred practice. I recently bought a merino icebreaker skull cap for about £20 as well, great for the folically challenged gent.
    Job done, and no smelly helmet either!

Somewhat off topic, but reassuring none-the-less. :shock: