nice for 1 by 10-ers with hope

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2015 in MTB general
10-40t 10 speed cassette from Hope:

http://singletrackworld.com/2015/01/corebike2015-part2-hope-technology/

Only compatible with hope hubs though... now why did i get DT swiss hubs rather than hope??

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be years before it's released, it'll be expensive and alu sprockets will wear fast and break. I'm out.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    njee20 wrote:
    It'll be years before it's released

this is true... by which time SRAM will have made 1 by 11 in much cheaper versions and it will be semi redundant?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Or shimano will have 1x11 XT or even SLX groupset which will be better than SRAM and cheaper.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Or shimano will have 1x11 XT or even SLX groupset which will be better than SRAM and cheaper.

I reckon Shimano will have 11 speed SLX and XT out just after summer. It would make sense. Both groupsets are due a re-vamp according to the product cycle Shimano seem to stick to
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think XT this year and SLX next year
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    XT and SLX both changed at the same time. M770 and M660 went 10 speed together and M780 and M670 were released at the same time. Deore M610/615 will change next year.

Hopefully it will force SRAM in to producing a cheaper groupset. I think if you look at RRP, XTR 1x11 (keep your current chainset) works out cheaper than X1
  • njee20
    XT and SLX both changed at the same time. M770 and M660 went 10 speed together and M780 and M670 were released at the same time. Deore M610/615 will change next year.

Hopefully it will force SRAM in to producing a cheaper groupset. I think if you look at RRP, XTR 1x11 (keep your current chainset) works out cheaper than X1

When they went 9 speed in 1999 they did XTR, XT and LX all at the same time, likewise when they went 10 speed in 2011 they did all the groupsets together, although the actual group updates came later, so all bets are off, as they've already changed their patterns.

With the road stuff they do one groupset at a time, so if they follow that you'll get 11 speed XT next year and SLX the year after.

Shimano aren't going after the 1x11 market particularly aggressively though, hence the cassette with a far narrower range. IMO best combo is SRAM cassette, to get the range, with Shimano mech and shifter. Which is what I'm running.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    My hate for all things hope means that i really want to hate this idea, but they are the first ones (5 years ago) to say they were going to do this. it makes sense in a lot of ways as i'm sure they wont use a free hub body but incorporate it into a whole unit.

Now if Shimano and sram start to produce cassettes that fit on to a normal free hub and go up to 11-40 or 12-42 then that would be much better.
    I think these one up systems are rubbish.

Toodles
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Now if Shimano and sram start to produce cassettes that fit on to a normal free hub and go up to 11-40 or 12-42 then that would be much better.

Errr, that's exactly what Shimano are doing, 11-40, fits on a normal freehub body. 12-42 is a narrower range.
  • VWsurfbum
    I havent seen them on a ten speed cassette?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Toodles

Why?

I am running 34t with 11-42 10 speed using all the One Up gizmos and it works perfectly. Total cost for chain ring, cage and cassette adapter was about 70-80 quid
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Am I the only one that doesn't understand this cassette?

DSC06062-640x426.jpg

They seem to be using alu for the bigger cogs that get more torque and wear faster, and steel on the smaller ones. How does that work??
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • VWsurfbum
    TwellySmat wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Toodles

Why?

I am running 34t with 11-42 10 speed using all the One Up gizmos and it works perfectly. Total cost for chain ring, cage and cassette adapter was about 70-80 quid
    Sorry i should clarify, i dont think the system is rubbish per-se, i think its an expensive way of doing things, buy a cassette, chuck half of it away and then buy two extra parts on top to get a smooth ratio.
    Heard some real horror story's about the expander blocks only lasting a few rides? (i cannot confirm this as it wasn't on my bike) £80 block, another £16 for the replacement ring further down the cassette on already on a £60 cassette.
    My point earlier for Shimano and Sram would to be make these cassettes at a reasonable cost, and be usable straight out the box.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I havent seen them on a ten speed cassette?

No, 11 speed XTR is 11-40 and fits on a normal freehub body though, and one imagines will be replicated when they trickle down 11 speed.
    They seem to be using alu for the bigger cogs that get more torque and wear faster, and steel on the smaller ones. How does that work??

That's how cassettes are always constructed - softer materials (ti on XTR) for the larger sprockets where wear is spread. I don't think the torque makes a material difference. A 36t sprocket wears at 1/3 the rate of a 12t one, so you can make it softer!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Aluminium is better for the bigger sprockets, wear is a much bigger issue than torque and a bigger ring spreads the wear more.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    But inevitably they still get worn faster, however presumably to make the bigger rings out of steel would make the cassette very heavy indeed... I get it now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The aluminium rings being larger will probably wear out at about the same time as the first steel one, so sounds about sensible to me? If we ever see it for sale that is!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They could have gone with steel rings riveted to an aluminium carrier, like XT (and others) although I have had rivets break on a couple XT cassettes.