Castelli Mortirolo vs Espresso

rnath
rnath Posts: 176
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I've got a Gore Phantom that needs replacing and, much as it's been perfect over several winters, I fancy something more form fitting so am looking at these two Castelli jackets. I was all up for the Espresso but having tried it on was concerned it may be too warm for much of the British winter, so maybe the Mortirolo would be more flexible? I rarely go out below freezing, but need it to be be good down to that temperature and up to around 15deg C. Anyone out there with experience of these jackets? Thanks...

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I went from a Gore Phantom to a Mortirolo, as like you I wanted something more fitted. However, the Mortirolo is a winter jacket and is designed to be worn in near freezing conditions. The zipped-vents on the torso can give you extra ventilation when you need it, but riding it in temperatures of over 10deg C would be too warm. At least, it would be for me.

In terms of warmth, I'd say it's similar to the Phantom though.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    edited January 2015
    I've just done the same, went from a funny fitting phantom to a mortirolo, I've only used it once which was on Saturday. Temp was about 4 degrees which dropped to 2 with a chilly wind.

I bought it thinking I might get more use than just the winter months and would use the appropriate base layers but as Dr Kay says I think it might be too hot over 10 degrees or so.

It performed great on Saturday, the fit is brilliant and it looks great. ( I bought the red/white/black)

Edit - it's no wonder I was toasty, remembered I was also wearing some sorpasso windstopper bibtights and northwave winter boots.
  • DKay
    The Gore Phantom is a really odd fitting thing, isn't it? Way too flappy and loose pretty much everywhere. The small size was more like a large.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    DKay wrote:
    The Gore Phantom is a really odd fitting thing, isn't it? Way too flappy and loose pretty much everywhere. The small size was more like a large.

Absolutely, mine was XL and would suit a 42 in chest and matching waist! The mortirolo is miles ahead.
  • DKay
    Yeah, it was the fitting around the waist which was the worst thing. The garment had no shape to it, like it was designed for a person with the bodyshape of a sausage.
  • It depends how well you do in the cold. I'm terrible in the cold and I find that anything below 5deg and I'm in the Espresso. Above that and the Mortirolo is fine with a good baselayer. As others have said, they've worn the Mortirolo down to almost freezing (something I would never consider doing!!) so it depends on your body.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I have a Mortirolo and have worn it out at rides around 10 degrees and the other weekend with the average ride of -1.6 (minimum -4). The key for me has been baselayer. On the cold rides I wear a HH Warm baselayer, mid range just a normal long sleeve and where it is warmer a short sleeve one.

Weirdly I found it better for fitting than other stuff, I have managed to get into a Medium, yest I am normally a Large in Castelli up top, so best to try it on before buying.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    Thanks everyone... sounds like it'll do me ;-)

Cheers.