Wheels upgrade

ilm_zero7
ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
no contect the Bora Clincher - but do take a look at the Blackinc wheels too - especially with DT 340s hubs
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• I would say the first thing is to understand whether you want to stick to an alloy rim or you want to move to carbon...
    left the forum March 2023
  • What hubs are on the Wheelsmith tubulars?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • What hubs are on the Wheelsmith tubulars?

Unless you choose a different option, the default is Bitex, I guess...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Personally, I wouldn't have tubs but i think that is your first decision - tubs or clinchers.

Then decide between carbon brake track and alloy - no sitting on the fence please!

For the sort of riding you've described, I'd take the Shimao C35 from your list. Also consider Zipp 303 which I reckon are great all rounders; and Mavic C40's which are a bit of both - carbon braking surface with an alloy core.

Peter
  • el bala wrote:
    there are 4 options for hubs on wheelsmith, but I want DT240S if I finally decide to buy from them.
    I dont have a particular preference between carbon and alloy rim..

In this case I think you should go for carbon tubs and the Wheelsmith might be a good bet... the DA alloy wheels are probably a step down from your Elite in terms of performance... they are a tiny bit lighter but also quite a lot "softer"... they are not very racey
  • I've also spent a couple of years on Elite S and had a similar list to yours when deciding on a new set. In the end I went for the C24's. They get great reviews, are pretty light and the price was good - £550 compared to £1000+ for the other wheels you're considering.

Only done a couple of short rides so far as the roads have been filthy, but I'm off to Spain next month so they'll get a full debut there.
  • el bala wrote:
    And what are your first impressions about them after these short rides? Thanks for your advice

The Elite S and the DA 24 are in the same category... yours are stiffer, the DA are lighter. Not enough between them to spend money IMO.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Deepest carbon tubs you can and stuff practicality. Life is too short to be practical.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Then again, there's nothing actually too impractical about running tubs all the time, so the deepest carbon tubs you can.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • el bala wrote:
    And what are your first impressions about them after these short rides? Thanks for your advice

First impressions were great, but I've been on Aksiums for the winter months so switching to the C24s for a couple of hours felt brilliant in comparison. Getting on some nice roads in good weather will be the true test.

I read so many positive reviews about the C24's and for £550 it seemed like a worthwhile switch from a pair of Elite S that were a few years old, even if they're in the same category.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm with Ugo. Had the RS80.. same rim. Seemed to wear a lot faster the my Elites (still going strong).They're so good I took my winter wheels off and put them back on the bike. I bought another set. Merlin had the 10 speed Elites at £320 a while ago. As a factory build I can't fault them.. I live in a hilly area and take them on holiday too. Easy to look after.That said I recently got a set 38mm carbon tubs from a local builder and will use them over the summer. Pure vanity. I 'll probably never get up to the speeds to notice any difference... but they are light at around 1250g. Do yourself a favour and look at the likes of The Cycle Clinic etc. When you pop a spoke or crack a rim at least they can be fixed easily. :)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    White industries T11 hubs are cheaper than DT Swiss and have more favourable geometry leading to a stiffer wheelset. They are also as reliable and a similar weight. The freehub body is also made from titanium rather than aluminium. DT Swiss freehub bodies are quite soft, not a big issue on a cheaper hub set but not that desirable on an expensive one.

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 hubs are now available in 18H front so if you want wheelsmith to build your wheels why not ask Derek about these hubs as they are superior in many ways.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • el bala wrote:
    The upgrade is from Ksyrium Elite 2009/2010, not Ksyrium Elite S!

In all fairness over the past 5 years there have been very minor changes and each of them for the worse to make them more competitive in a crowded market.
    If you want to convince yourself that the DA CL24 are better, then go ahead, placebo does miracles... :wink:
  • el bala wrote:
    No. I think that I will go with wheelsmith. I talked to Derek and he told me that he can build a 38mm tubular set with Dura Ace 9000 hubs (£890 / 1260g), a little cheaper that the set with DT240S hubs.

Happy days