any Canyon Speedmax TT owners out there.... sizing question

thekooman
thekooman Posts: 55
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a time trial bike over the next few months. The Canyon Speedmax AL has taken my fancy but of course I'm curious of how the sizing works.

I checked up a Canyon Ultimate CF roadbike for example and completed the sizing inputs and it shows as an XL. I also show as an XL on the Speedmax.

So the question I have is; should i size down to a Large on the TT bike instead of going with an XL or have they taken this into account within their sizing?

Any opinions would be great.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Typically you'll ride the same size TT bike as road bike. If you've never ridden a TT bike and don't know the appropriate S&R then unfortunately there is no definitive answer. Even if you get a TT fit you can bet your bottom dollar that your position will change quite a bit from the initial fit.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • As above, I have a speedmax cf and sizing was different from my road bike.

I'm 6ft and went with a medium as the large is Very stretched out, to the extreme.
    I'm having another bike fit done before next session to see what needs to change but couple of things to think about.

In relation to speedmax bikes, the sizing is tricky in regards to reach and stack as they take the measurements differently from what you'd class as standard stack and reach.
    Suggest you go slightly smaller than your road bike then you can always stretch out.
    Great bike though
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • thanks guys for the replies. ill have to carefully consider between the L and XL.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I used to have a Speedmax AL - the Canyon fit app recommended an XS which seemed ridiculous as I'm 5'10, I did the sums on the geometry and went with a M... could never get comfortable on it and with hindsight probably should have gone for a Small.

Not sure if that's helpful but if I learnt anything it's that a TT bike that's too big for you is a non-starter
  • I used to have a Speedmax AL - the Canyon fit app recommended an XS which seemed ridiculous as I'm 5'10, I did the sums on the geometry and went with a M... could never get comfortable on it and with hindsight probably should have gone for a Small.

Not sure if that's helpful but if I learnt anything it's that a TT bike that's too big for you is a non-starter

This comment interests me, I'm looking at purchasing the Speedmax AL in the new year. I already own a Canyon Ultimate SL, which is Large and I've had no problem with fit. I'd assume that I should also go for the Large on the Speedmax?
  • I'd size down. You can adjust a slightly too small bike to fit more easily than one that's too big.

Here is mine in XS.

5PCU9F7.jpg
  • I used to have a Speedmax AL - the Canyon fit app recommended an XS which seemed ridiculous as I'm 5'10, I did the sums on the geometry and went with a M... could never get comfortable on it and with hindsight probably should have gone for a Small.

This comment interests me, I'm looking at purchasing the Speedmax AL in the new year. I already own a Canyon Ultimate SL, which is Large and I've had no problem with fit. I'd assume that I should also go for the Large on the Speedmax?

hi Supermurph09, what size did you go for in the end? or did you get it yet?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi, yes I got it just before Christmas, went for the large and happy that was the correct choice. Tinkered around with saddle height and bars and now have a position that I'm happy with on the turbo. Not had it out on the road yet, hoping to do so this weekend or next. I'll post up some pictures of me on it pretty soon. Only picture I currently have it when the seat and bars were not right.
  • i measure up as XL on a CF SL/SLX and as XL on a TT so im not sure what to go to. was chatting to a guy who has a speedmax AL and is 6'1.... he said id be fine on a Large. im 6'3. its hard to know.
  • supermurph09
    I'm 6ft tall, this is my first time on a TT bike (never used aero bars either) so the position will obviously take some getting used to. But having lowered the seat by quite a few cm from road bike height and brought the arm rests closer it seems a good fit. Experienced TT club mates have not suggested the bike it too big or small (they would!), I believe its the right size, so unless you have unusual measurements I'd guess that Large would be fine given that you are obviously on the cusp of L/XL. As mentioned I'm no expert, I guess it's always a risk.
  • many thanks for the replies Supermurph09. ill update when i get it. the worse that can happen is that ive to return it!
  • supermurph09
    thekooman wrote:
    many thanks for the replies Supermurph09. ill update when i get it. the worse that can happen is that ive to return it!

Hope it works out ok.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I am 6ft0" and have a Medium. I don't run their bars though as I built mine up, I run a 3T Aura bar setup on it with a -17deg 12cm stem and have one 10mm spacer under the stem running a Cane Creek headset with the standard conical headset cap. For my fit for the extensions I run one set of the 10mm spacers under the extensions that determine the height of the extensions on top of the base bar. This all fits me just how I want it and I am pretty flat backed on it.

(Not that it affects the fit but I also run a 3T Funda Pro fork from a Cervelo R3 on it. It saved a good bit of weight, is a lot less bulky and the handling and front end compliance/smoothness improved. Aerodynamically I don't know any comparisons, but Funda forks were used on Cervelo's TT bikes for a long time).