Whyte T129 Works or SCR?

chrisnic365
chrisnic365 Posts: 14
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Interested if anyone has ridden them both.

I've ridden the S and the SCR but 6 weeks apart. Specifically I did a 30 mile Ride It on the SCR last weekend and loved it on the downhill sections. Its easily the most stable bike I've ridden at speed. I was also impressed by the range on the SCR. For the first 20 or so miles I didn't need anything more even up a few long and steep climbs. Much after that though and my legs were starting to give and a few times I caught myself wishing for a granny cog.

For the riding immediately around my village I'm pretty sure that i'd have a similar experience in that 80% of the time i'd be fine with a single ring but I worry about the longer rides. I've got a few 35-40 mile trips planned this year which has got me thinking maybe the Works version, with its 2x10 might be better suited. To date most of my riding has been at the more xc end of trails (certainly true around the south chilterns where I live) and I've not yet been to any parks or trail centres although Swinley is on my list in the next few months.

So the dilemma, go SCR and have something more trail/fun focused but more hard work on longer rides or go works and possibly get more versatility. I'm struggling to convince myself that the works would be less fun on trails than the SCR but also have that niggle that in 6 months i'd wish i'd got the SCR.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except for Whyte fans I doubt most people know what you're talking about. Links might help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You debate sees to come down to 1x10 or 2x10?

In which case you have 4 choices
    1/ Get the 2x10 and live with it
    2/ Get the 2x10 and convert to 1x10 (new cranks needed) and see if you like it knowing you can convert back any time you want
    3/ Get 1x10 and if you need more range get an expander setup
    4/ Get 1x10 and be prepared to pony up for a double or triple conversion if you don't like it!

Why not monitor what gears you use now and see which of the options covers those!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • This was the exact dilemma I had so ride both recently and imo the T130S was the one to go for, great bike and probably not worth paying the extra £700 for what the SCR offers.