Lion poo...

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited January 2015 in The cake stop
Been looking for summat to deter local moggies from defecating in my garden because their owners cant be bovvered to teach them to use a litter tray. On the asvice of my local garden centre i have purchased some pellets which are 'soaked in the real essence of lion dung'. So presumably they become fearful that their is a big and powerful distant cousin around so go off and do their business elsewhere.

And to be honest, i really dont care whether they work or not. This is a talking point for the rest of my life...

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The problem with this is that any passing lions will think that your garden is a giant litter tray.....you'll soon be wishing you left the little moggies to shat in the flower beds as their shite is much smaller than lion shite :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    How do they know what lion dung smells like to begin with if they've never left Cornwall?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    How does Mikey know what lion poo smells like, they could have sold him slug pellets, still if you use them in a catapult it should deter cats :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Cat deterrents
    Surround an area with a fence (chicken wire etc) that leans in the direction from which the cat will approach. The cat is unable to climb over such an angled fence.
    Flimsy plastic roll-up fencing placed on top of a fence etc to prevent cats climbing over it.
    Taut wire or string fitted 10-15 cm above the fence-top makes it difficult for cats to balance on the fence.
    Place half-full plastic bottles in borders. This is an old gamekeeper's trick - the light reflection is supposed to deter.
    Mailshot and other unwanted CDs can be threaded on twine with knots in between to keep them apart. String these across flower beds or hang from trees. The light reflections deter.
    Spiked tree collar to prevent climbing up a tree.
    Downward-opening cone or a biscuit tin fixed to the pole below the bird table to prevent cat climbing up it. Vaseline or other grease on a smooth pole will also help.
    Placing clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and under bushes will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds.
    There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden. It should be available from a number of garden suppliers.
    Scent deterrents will either serve to repel (eg. Citronella) or mark a territory (eg. Silent Roar). Alternatively, try orange or lemon peel, since cats are not keen on the smell of citrus.
    Bucket or water pistol full of water will help to chase a cat out of the garden. There is an automated option, the scarecrow, which is attached to a hosepipe, and will deliver a water jet when activated by a motion detector, but be aware that water freezing in the pipes can damage the gadget.
    The CATWatch deterrent is endorsed by the RSPB and reduces cat visits by up to 33%. Follow the link from this page.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If I were a Cornish tomcat and came across lion shite in Mikey's garden, I would think to myself,'If it's good enough for Simba, it's good enough for me!' and take a massive dump.
  • team47b
    AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every furryfella in the garden, accept no substitutes. :D
  • ballysmate
    team47b wrote:
    AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every furryfella in the garden, accept no substitutes. :D

Suicide bomb works every time... well once anyway.

Allahu akbar!
  • The problem will not be the Lions that come into your garden and cr*p everywhere, it will be the Hyenas that follow the Lions around. They will be laughing their heads off all night keeping you awake.
  • Mayniac
    Mayniac Posts: 174
    Coffee grounds stopped the cats crapping on my garden.
    This is not 'Nam, Smokey. This is bowling. There are rules.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mayniac wrote:

Did it give them constipation then?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    arran77 wrote:
    Mayniac wrote:

Did it give them constipation then?

:lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ballysmate wrote:
    But how would you know?
  • ballysmate
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    But how would you know?

:lol:
    It wouldn't matter either way. You would no longer be around to care - so problem solved. :D
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Been looking for summat to deter local moggies from defecating in my garden because their owners cant be bovvered to teach them to use a litter tray. On the asvice of my local garden centre i have purchased some pellets which are 'soaked in the real essence of lion dung'. So presumably they become fearful that their is a big and powerful distant cousin around so go off and do their business elsewhere.

And to be honest, i really dont care whether they work or not. This is a talking point for the rest of my life...

If you were a she cat would you not take one whiff and think,'Hello Big Boy, come and get it!'?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I have two cats, one of which I know uses the neighbours' gardens for his convenience (good boy).
    A few years back I had put out the bin bags ready for collection the following morning, and as usual by late evening the Goo household had managed to acquire another load of rubbish. So I went out front to top up my bin bags. I was perplexed to find that there was another bin bag outside my house. On investigation it contained a solitary Quality Street tin. My curiosity got the better of me, so I opened the tin. To find it full of cat 5hit !!!! Nice.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • team47b
    Ballysmate wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Allahu akbar!

My post was a quote from the film Jackie brown ( watch it if you haven't already, great film) :roll:

I was offended by your remark, well I say offended, I mean offended on someone else's behalf, well I say on behalf of someone, what I mean on behalf of the cats, I mean how would you persuade the 'volunteer' cat to give up one of his lives, he already has all the pussy he needs in this life?

Not wishing to offend anyone who believes in the after life being solely the preserve of one species on the planet :D
  • Ballysmate wrote:

Allahu akbar!

Admiral-ackbar.jpg

???
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Slowmart wrote:
    Cat deterrents
    Surround an area with a fence (chicken wire etc) that leans in the direction from which the cat will approach. The cat is unable to climb over such an angled fence.
    Flimsy plastic roll-up fencing placed on top of a fence etc to prevent cats climbing over it.
    Taut wire or string fitted 10-15 cm above the fence-top makes it difficult for cats to balance on the fence.
    Place half-full plastic bottles in borders. This is an old gamekeeper's trick - the light reflection is supposed to deter.
    Mailshot and other unwanted CDs can be threaded on twine with knots in between to keep them apart. String these across flower beds or hang from trees. The light reflections deter.
    Downward-opening cone or a biscuit tin fixed to the pole below the bird table to prevent cat climbing up it. Vaseline or other grease on a smooth pole will also help.
    Placing clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and under bushes will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds.
    There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden. It should be available from a number of garden suppliers.
    Scent deterrents will either serve to repel (eg. Citronella) or mark a territory (eg. Silent Roar). Alternatively, try orange or lemon peel, since cats are not keen on the smell of citrus.
    Bucket or water pistol full of water will help to chase a cat out of the garden. There is an automated option, the scarecrow, which is attached to a hosepipe, and will deliver a water jet when activated by a motion detector, but be aware that water freezing in the pipes can damage the gadget.
    The CATWatch deterrent is endorsed by the RSPB and reduces cat visits by up to 33%. Follow the link from this page.

A garden that will make the crazy cat lady look sane.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    in times past, a local farmer (my great uncle) used a gin trap to stop our cat going into his garden, we re-named him to Stumpy....the cat that is! my Uncle got called another word beginning with C.

My gf who knows all things cat, says you need to hose/powerful water pistol them, the deterrents don't really work as the cats soon realize there is no danger and they get used to any smells, they might reduce their visits but that's about all.
  • ballysmate
    i think it fair to say that not many zoo keepers when collecting the raw product, grab the culprit by the scruff of its neck and rub its nose in it.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Slowmart wrote:
    Cat deterrents

Why should anyone have to go to such trouble and expense because someone else is unable or unwilling to control their livestock?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Water pistol worked for me. Only had to shoot the cat twice. Every time I opened the door and the cat saw me from then on it ran like crazy.
    Doesn't even come into the garden now :mrgreen:
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    We have a stoney driveway which disguises cat sh1te very well, so both I and the kids regularly tread in it. So now, every supermarket visit I buy a bottle of toilet bleach and liberally spread it all over the drive. No very eco, but it works. I tried running over the culprit once but missed, and my wife told me off.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    fatsmoker wrote:
    I tried running over the culprit once but missed, and my wife told me off.
    For not steering accurately enough?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    We have a stoney driveway which disguises cat sh1te very well, so both I and the kids regularly tread in it. So now, every supermarket visit I buy a bottle of toilet bleach and liberally spread it all over the drive. No very eco, but it works. I tried running over the culprit once but missed, and my wife told me off.

Shoot them with an air gun - works very well on dogs so I expect same for cats. My dad shot a dog in our garden once when I was a kid and the dog limped every time it walked past our house after that and never went in the garden again.
  • ballysmate
    fatsmoker wrote:

Shoot them with an air gun - works very well on dogs so I expect same for cats. My dad shot a dog in our garden once when I was a kid and the dog limped every time it walked past our house after that and never went in the garden again.

I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you not to be serious. But just in case anyone is tempted

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/200 ... 045_en.pdf
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/48/section/1

Owners do have a duty of care though

http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/document ... he_law.pdf
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    fatsmoker wrote:

Shoot them with an air gun don't get caught doing it - works very well on dogs so I expect same for cats. My dad shot a dog in our garden once when I was a kid and the dog limped every time it walked past our house after that and never went in the garden again.

I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you not to be serious. But just in case anyone is tempted

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Perfect solution:

Go to the nearest dog/cat home and get the biggest, ugliest, gnarliest tom cat in the place.
    That will cut the cat sh!t down to 1 animal and you could even try to train him to use a litter tray.

They say that people who don't like dogs are anti-social and people who don't like cats are intolerant.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erm well ... I have to say that lion poo has not been a 'roaring' success so far...
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Ballysmate wrote:
    fatsmoker wrote:

I suspect he is joking, but rather hope he isn't.
    If I really had to choose, I'd rather step in cat sh*t than dog sh*t any day of the week. :evil:
    At least cat owners can pretend they don't know where there cats are "going". Dog owner know very well but just don't care.