Riders that smoke

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited February 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Happy Tuesday fisters!

Just been wondering how many of you guys smoke and how does it effect your riding? I smoke and i don't feel as though it really slows me down or anything just sometimes makes me cough up what looks like the contents of ET's stomach. Me personally if i'm on my MTB i will stop off and have a fag and maybe a coffee but just wondered how anyone else coped with smoking and riding.

Cheers ears
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Any idea what your VO2 Max is? or watts per kg? I suspect they would be significantly higher if you gave up. If you park the long term affects, you are left with the key issue of being able to consume less oxygen and get less of that which you do consume in to blood that is not particularly efficient at holding it, being circulated by a CV system that is fairly constricted etc.. I'm sure you know all this ;)

If you don't work your body very hard while riding then it wont make much difference to you, however, I suspect you could go faster and climb better if you stopped.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect your signature reflects your perception of fitness?

I feel like I do fairly well on a bike, but know I'm still a lot slower than I was 8 months back before | had pneumonia, I puff and pant much more than I did before!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    diy wrote:
    you are left with the key issue of being able to consume less oxygen
    on the contrary - one of the benefits of smoking is that statistically speaking, you should get much quicker to the stage where you consume none at all.
  • Harsh... But fair.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I smoked for 12 years.

Gave up, cold turkey 5 years ago. Smoked for about 2 months since then.

You may not think it affects you, but stop smoking and see how much faster you are after a few weeks and how much better you feel in the mornings.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Has the op already died?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    Happy Tuesday fisters!

i will stop off and have a fag

What do you mean by this?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    He'll stop in the woods to smoke something.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    He'll stop in the woods to smoke something.

Unless he's an ex-public school type :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    diy wrote:
    Any idea what your VO2 Max is? or watts per kg? I suspect they would be significantly higher if you gave up. If you park the long term affects, you are left with the key issue of being able to consume less oxygen and get less of that which you do consume in to blood that is not particularly efficient at holding it, being circulated by a CV system that is fairly constricted etc.. I'm sure you know all this ;)

If you don't work your body very hard while riding then it wont make much difference to you, however, I suspect you could go faster and climb better if you stopped.

You can't really "have" a w/kg, it's a unit of measurement. FTP would be more relevant. Not going to be directly linked to smoking though. Agree with the sentiment though!
  • I am alive just to reassure you all I am still very much alive. at least I stop of to have a fag, the best I've seen is someone actually riding with a fag in his gob! Quite comical I must admit
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    njee20 wrote:
    You can't really "have" a w/kg, it's a unit of measurement. FTP would be more relevant. Not going to be directly linked to smoking though. Agree with the sentiment though!

Don't be daft - half the cycling world uses this as a benchmark.
    powerprofiling.jpg

Or were you suggesting you can't have it without expressing time also?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Exactly, I was being pedantic. But as you know, the OP has no clue whatsoever what his FTP is, nor his maximal power output for any other duration of time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have seen quite a few smokers riding. Never seen one who was even moderately quick, usually very slow.
    I did once see a bloke in a hill climb sprint race riding a folding bike, in a suit and bowler hat smoking a pipe. He wasn't as fast as the bloke dressed as Big Bird though.