Backpedalling Issue

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a problem when backpedalling with my relatively new Trek 1.2 2014 where it tries to change up 2 or 3 cogs. Normal forward pedalling and shifting gears is perfectly smooth but occasionally I might want to backpedal to reposition my pedals when starting from a standing stop.

I've looked at derailleur alignment and it looks fine to me. I know there is the high and low adjustment screws on the rear derailleur, could these need adjusting?

Any help would be really appreciated as its getting quite annoying now.

tia,

Andy

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Clean the chain and mech.
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Clean the chain and mech.

I wash the bike after almost every ride lately because of the winter spray so not sure that will be it?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't touch the stop screws, that's not the problem. Could be a number of things - dirty transmission, mech hanger alignment plus check your chain as it could be due to a bent link / sprung side-plate. I was having difficulty cleaning the chain on my MTB by running it backwards. I headed out regardless, only to have the chain break mid-ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've taken a photo to try and and show derailleur alignment.

Looks ok to me but I'm no expert, had a quick look over the chain and it appears ok too.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just inspect the chain again , attention to the connecting/joining link section... does it look ok?
    Could be a 'stiff link' somewhere as well
  • Make sure the clearance between the top jockey wheel and the cassette is ok, if its too small then can cause problems.

Simple fix to wind the adjuster screw in a bit.
  • graemevet wrote:
    Make sure the clearance between the top jockey wheel and the cassette is ok, if its too small then can cause problems.

Simple fix to wind the adjuster screw in a bit.

I was just about to reply that I have fixed it and then saw your post. It was indeed the gap between the top jockey wheel and the large cog but the gap must have been slightly too large because I loosed the b-tension screw which brings the jockey wheel up closer to the cog and the backpedalling issue now seems to be fixed!!.

Surprised noone had mentioned this before.

Woohooooooo!! :wink: