HRM glitch or cause for concern?

Skinner2k3
Skinner2k3 Posts: 310
HR profile from ride earlier. I assumed this was a glitch earlier as felt nothing untoward on the ride, didn't even notice actually.

One reading and I might have ignored it but it a few minutes worth then settles into what is a fairly standard rate for the rest of the ride.

My max hr is 178.

Screenshot_2015-01-25-18-13-46.png

Comments

• Monitor is a Garmin 705, with no other sensors on the bike. Was alone, no other riders around at the time.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Glitch, well known, especially when you aren't sweaty enough for the contacts to make a good connection. You would feel quite unwell if you HR went up that high.
  • And relax!!!!!

Cheers people. In two years of using it I have never had that before.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure you'd have felt it if your heart did hit those figures.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Mine started doing that before it eventually gave up all together. My HR strap not my heart by the way. Haha.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I regularly get stable but erroneous readings well above normal values for the first 2-5mins on cold runs and cycles when I haven't yet got sweaty. If you feel normal it's highly unlikely your heart is doing anything crazy. If you felt palpitations, chest pain, dizzyness or any other odd symptoms then I'd be heading to the doctor for a cardiac referral.
    It's no fun training when you're worried there might be a problem - I know from experience. I was getting regular chest pains and had slightly high blood pressure a couple of years ago and was pretty worried about pushing myself on the bike until I got it checked out. Thankfully, after static and stress ECGs, a cardiac echo and a CAT scan, I got confirmation that there was nothing wrong with my heart and the blood pressure was more than likely genetic, not related to any blood vessel damage etc, and therefore nothing to worry about. Never found out what was actually causing the chest pain but it disappeared a few months later. Regardless I'm glad I checked it out rather than living with a niggling doubt in the back of my mind.
    I'm not saying you need to do the same. This is almost certainly just a HR monitor contact issue. A bit more moisture on the contacts and the problem should be solved.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Can also be the seal has gone on the back and sweat is getting in.
  • Your heart rate/cadence/speed or power sensor malfunctions and picks up the data of a young-gun riding past. You immediately screen-shot the effort.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • My old HRM was a little iffy sometimes, but I tried running under the tap before putting on. When that didn't work I started to use saliva to wet the contacts before putting on. That worked better but even now with better kit you can still get these erroneous readings.

You can always use perceived effort as an easy check on the HRM. Of course at 246bpm you'd be a bit of a freak as it's too high a figure.