Bike fitting

bianchi_tim
bianchi_tim Posts: 79
edited January 2015 in Road general
Due to a recent issue with my back I've been off the bike for a few weeks. To try and ensure I don't make matters worse when I start riding again I'm thinking about getting a bike fit done just to check I'm riding in the right position. I have a Giant store near me who do the Wattbike Powerfit plus a Specialized store who do the BG fit. Both seem similar except the Powerful measures power through pedals and calculates the difference between each pedal stroke. Price is pretty much the same.

Has anyone had a bike fit done with either of these methods? If so how did you find it, did it make a difference to your comfort and efficiency on the bike?

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I've had the Retul which is the same a BG.
    Very good

Matt
  • Due to a recent issue with my back I've been off the bike for a few weeks. To try and ensure I don't make matters worse when I start riding again I'm thinking about getting a bike fit done just to check I'm riding in the right position.

Did your bike position cause your back issues?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Not sure, it may have contributed - I had a trapped nerve. I'd been fiddling with the position for a while and had got it to the point I was fairly happy but I guess I'd like peace of mind in case it was the bike position.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Try and use someone recommended to you, the guy doing the fitting is more important than the system used. As a well known fitter said to me last week, the Retul system is great but it's just a measuring tool - anyone can go on a 2 day retul course then call themselves a 'bike fitter'.

The Retul fitter my mate went to was useless, they abandoned the fit after an hour because he couldn't set my friend up properly.
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    Try and use someone recommended to you, the guy doing the fitting is more important than the system used. As a well known fitter said to me last week, the Retul system is great but it's just a measuring tool - anyone can go on a 2 day retul course then call themselves a 'bike fitter'.

The Retul fitter my mate went to was useless, they abandoned the fit after an hour because he couldn't set my friend up properly.

Thanks thats a great point, I do know a couple of guys I ride with who have been to the guy that does the BG fit and both have said he was ace and knew his stuff. Was slightly swayed today by the gadgets and lasers that the Powerfit system had available to it.