Check your lights!

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited January 2015 in Road general
Just been out for a short walk up on Stanage with the missus. Passed a fair few roadies on the drive out and back. All of whom had rear lights on, appropriate for the rather gloomy, overcast/low sun conditions.

Except all bar one might as well not have bothered because I needed to be within 10m to actually be able to tell the light was on, they were so dim! That one guy was visible from miles away (I spotted him long before his 2 mates who were behind him by some distance). The rest needed very careful attention to pick out from the general greyness. (special mention to the guy with the Knog-style helmet light. Your Chris-Froome-staring-at-stems position meant the light was pointing straight up in the air, and therefore useless!

It's worth noting that there's something funky about the discharge cycle of modern batteries with LEDs. If you just put the light on for a few seconds, it can appear quite bright, but if the battery is not very charged, the output will drop off a cliff after a few minutes use.

I've almost certainly been guilty of exactly the same error. First thing I've done though, since walking back in the door, has been to put my Flash & Flare on charge for tomorrow.

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I agree but in these low light conditions, hi-viz jackets can also help to make cyclists more visible. I started off at 10am this morning with my yellow jacket on just to make me more visible even although it was fairly bright. I eventually took off the jacket, but I then switched on my bright flashing back light just to make sure I could be seen. I also recharge the light after every ride, but it only lasts a couple of hours, so that's why I try not to use it until I need to.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    We've had this argument thrashed out a couple of weeks back. Lights are absolutely essential - if you don't have one that can last for the duration of your chosen ride....its time to change your lights!
    Clothing can certainly help - but if it came down to it id rather have a good light and no reflective rather than no light and reflective clothing (however its good to have both - and I always make sure I do).

The amount of bikes I see (or rather nearly don't see) on a daily basis with neither actually scares me - cycling away in low light conditions with no lights and dark clothing - makes me mad, but I'm not going to point it out to them...probably just end up with a mouthful of abuse anyway!
  • Anyone suggest a helmet with a built in flashing light?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Anyone suggest a helmet with a built in flashing light?

like this..?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLICE-MAN-HE ... 3a93065c20
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    bsharp77 wrote:
    We've had this argument thrashed out a couple of weeks back. Lights are absolutely essential - if you don't have one that can last for the duration of your chosen ride....its time to change your lights!
    Clothing can certainly help - but if it came down to it id rather have a good light and no reflective rather than no light and reflective clothing (however its good to have both - and I always make sure I do).

The amount of bikes I see (or rather nearly don't see) on a daily basis with neither actually scares me - cycling away in low light conditions with no lights and dark clothing - makes me mad, but I'm not going to point it out to them...probably just end up with a mouthful of abuse anyway!
    What I was trying to say was that in daytime at this time of year a high viz jacket is good for visibility. I will always have my light on when anywhere near dark and even during the day today although it was quite bright out there. I have a good Lezyne back light but unfortunately the charge doesn't last for a full long ride, so I wouldn't put it on when light is good and it is not necessary.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Anyone suggest a helmet with a built in flashing light?

These are brilliant:

http://www.merlincycles.com/topeak-head ... 54827.html

Only caveat is that you're unlikely to get anything like the claimed batter life.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I've put one of those little Silva led rear lights attached to the back of my helmet, works great.