Josh Edmondson

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2015 in Pro race
Did we do this one yet?

Quite enjoy the bluntness of Ellingworths comments

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... sky-153964
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• replacement

eset-robot-1600x2560-a-glimpse-into-the-future-this-robot-can-sing.jpeg?width=2560&height=1600
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I remember Brailsford saying at the start that the team would be run in a very particular way and it will not suit everyone. Seems like Edmondson could be the new David Moncoutié - bucket loads of talent but distant attitude - and Sky would still be waving goodbye. Fair game. I think even a proven talent like Betancur would be out the door at Sky. They clearly want everyone pulling in the same direction.

Ellingworth sums it up well, at least in part. The reality is that there is a lot of talent out there and, crucially, Sky can afford it.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I never rated him. Some people did though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

And with that pronouncement, Edmondson heaved a sigh of relief.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Too much too soon for him really. Would have benefited from a year or two on a continental team and made his mistakes there. Hopefully he'll bounce back, he's not short of talent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • If anyone has it to hand, I'm sure last month's (Jan) Pro Cycling had a piece by Daniel Friebe with a few more damning lines on him from Ellingworth.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Seems a bit of an Adam Blythe type character. I think he's got talent and he showed that a couple of years ago. Perhaps a bit of a set back will make him re-think his approach. Life isn't a bowl of cherries
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    Just because he is English and rode for Sky doesn't make him a great rider. The guy's palmares are thin to say the least and he was a grupetto rider so not like he was able to help the big boys in his team overly much. He is young...yet there are many riders his age or so who are ripping up the roads.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Considered a future TdF winner by Wiggins a few years ago (I think he was being serious).
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Shame about Josh, really is. Looking forward to seeing him perform at the Sun Tour though.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    Could he fit into Team Wiggins?
  • Could he fit into Team Wiggins?

My understanding is they'll be track-centred and riding here and there on the road? Edmondson being a climber wouldn't be the perfect fit.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Edmondson's lack of organization was noted as early as Feb 2013 so he has had plenty of time to sort himself out:

viewtopic.php?t=12903463&p=18124389#p18123852
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    It is easy to be hard-minded from afar. He has time on his side if he really wants to make a go of it. Maybe it was too much, too soon. It would be nice to see someone in his situation give a Pro-Conti ride, where it seems a little more self-directed. Sometimes people need that rather than being stifled by structure.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    He’s a young lad and some take longer to mature than others. Over a year ago I was hearing comments like:
    …..He needs to stop thinking he’s a rock star and start training like a pro cyclist.
    …..He needs an arse wipe…presumably someone to follow him round and do all the things most people do for themselves.
    With hindsight it may have been preferable to locate him in a group of senior pro’s to “learn the trade” rather than leave him at home with the potential to mess about with his mates. Hopefully, he will convince Keith Lambert that he can change during the time he is in Oz, which should open up Team Wiggins. I assume they have not given him a contract yet until they are sure they will not be stuck with the same problems. The British domestic races would not suit him, but some of the European ones they should get entry to would be ok
  • I'm surprised he didn't get a ride at somewhere like Madison or JLT where they seem keen on helping young riders develop and step up to pro conti/pro tour, was he released too late? or did they just not want him?
  • frenchfighter
    What is his background?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I never rated him. Some people did though.

He was exceptional in that Tour of Britain that JT-L "won"
  • EnnBee
    EnnBee Posts: 20
    Could he fit into Team Wiggins?

Was offerred a ride there, but didn't like the limited programme.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890

Oh yes. JTL. Whatever happened to him eh ? He has balls'd up his chance just like jamie burrows did. Both ego's have landed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    My bet would be NFTO will be sniffing around him but not sure their race programme would suit.
  • inseine
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Oh yes. JTL. Whatever happened to him eh ? He has balls'd up his chance just like jamie burrows did. Both ego's have landed.

That seems like a weird comparison.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure what happened but seems to be 22 minutes down on GC in Sun tour. Am I missing something? He's 23.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/ ... esults.pdf
  • sjmclean wrote:
    Not sure what happened but seems to be 22 minutes down on GC in Sun tour. Am I missing something? He's 23.

I think his problem is not on the bike but off it.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    sjmclean wrote:

Huge break on stage 1. The first 20 finished over 20 minutes ahead of the rest.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Huge break on stage 1. The first 20 finished over 20 minutes ahead of the rest.

He didn't have a great race, but he finished 3 minutes ahead of Caleb Ewan in the overall ;)