Cyclebeat....

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
Just signed up to a few classes at cyclebeat in support of a colleague who wants to do some lunchtime exercise

http://www.cyclebeat.co.uk/

Anyone been?

says they use SPDs on the bikes - anyone know if they're the MTB SPD's or road SPD SLs?

Reception not picking up.

Also, how awful is it?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    OK ignore that. They picked up.

Its MTB SPDs.

Should have guessed really.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Girl in the office does it, sounds quite good.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    BigMat wrote:
    Girl in the office does it, sounds quite good.

Fnaaar, Fnaaar etc etc
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    First thought... "interesting" name choice.. sounds like a pickup place for gay bike riders.. :o

Second thought.. their logo and typeface is very very similar to the CycleOps (trademark) one. Either they have a sponsorship deal or a lazy graphic designer.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Just signed up to a few classes at cyclebeat in support of a colleague who wants to do some lunchtime exercise

http://www.cyclebeat.co.uk/

Anyone been?

says they use SPDs on the bikes - anyone know if they're the MTB SPD's or road SPD SLs?

Reception not picking up.

Also, how awful is it?
    Have you tried riding a bike? Once you get the balance sorted its like a spin class only interesting.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My friend is a regular and I've been a handful of times.

Yes, SPDs. They lend you shoes if you need them.

It gets pretty hot in there, you will sweat buckets.

As for the classes, depends on the instructor, some are really good. I went to a couple of the "etape du tour" prep classes and they were pretty good. Last time I went I got free beer and food after, so that was a bonus!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I signed up for 10 classes, but didn't even go to them all.
    Not really for me. It's like paying for gym that only has spin classes and I generally avoid anything cycling related in the gym anyway.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    Well I went for a 35 minute session, and my numbers, in short, are rubbish.

AVG RPM 88
    HIGH RPM 137
    AVG POWER 130
    HIGH POWER 375

I'm 55kg, so all in all, pretty pants.

I've got a few excuses, but yeah...
  • elbowloh

AVG RPM 88
    HIGH RPM 137
    AVG POWER 130
    HIGH POWER 375

First time I went, june last year, my numbers were:

AVG RPM 82
    HIGH RPM 129
    AVG POWER 220
    HIGH POWER 834

My average scores (been 4 times) are:

AVG RPM 78
    HIGH RPM 118
    AVG POWER 220
    HIGH POWER 591

I'm 95 kilos though!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    And it's Chasey by half a wheel!

Chasey 2.36 W/Kg
    Elbowloh 2.32 W/Kg

(okay, maybe he gets mullered in a sprint, and drops Elbow on the hills)

Is that the Cyclebeat just off monument? Office backs onto that, a few in the office have been and quite liked it. There's always Athlete Lab 2mins away for a more cycling (vs spin) workout
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:

Chasey 2.36 W/Kg
    Elbowloh 2.32 W/Kg

Is that the Cyclebeat just off monument? Office backs onto that, a few in the office have been and quite liked it. There's always Athlete Lab 2mins away for a more cycling (vs spin) workout

Yeah. It's £20 unlimited for 2 weeks new starter offer.

I'll stop once that offer is over.
  • elbowloh
    dhope wrote:

Chasey 2.36 W/Kg
    Elbowloh 2.32 W/Kg

To be honest, I have no idea what the numbers mean. I always look good on the leaderboard (top 2) that's shown during the class, as it doesn't take account of weight, but when I look at the table after, i'm halfway down the list!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Chasey 2.36 W/Kg
    Elbowloh 2.32 W/Kg

To be honest, I have no idea what the numbers mean. I always look good on the leaderboard (top 2) that's shown during the class, as it doesn't take account of weight, but when I look at the table after, i'm halfway down the list!

Table after is weight adjusted.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Chasey 2.36 W/Kg
    Elbowloh 2.32 W/Kg

Table after is weight adjusted.
    Yes, I know.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Well I went for a 35 minute session, and my numbers, in short, are rubbish.

AVG RPM 88
    HIGH RPM 137
    AVG POWER 130
    HIGH POWER 375

Wait a second... 55kg. Are you an oompa loompa?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    No. You're just fat.
  • rick_chasey
    AVG RPM 73
    HIGH RPM 128
    AVG POWER 170
    HIGH POWER 439
    TOTAL ENERGY 416.3
    DISTANCE 14.9
    ESTIMATED CALORIES 567
    DURATION 45 min

So on average 40 watts more for 10 more minutes.

A better power-to-weight number of 3.09watts/kg

The cycle home immediately afterwards wasn't my most competitive mind...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BigMat wrote:
    Is this on Wattbikes?
    Keiser M3+

I'm not sure how it being a spin bike (and the inertia that goes with them when you're up to speed) affects the power readings. I guess it smooths the output slightly (can't stamp on the pedals and go as much as you might a normal bike, similarly can't just stop?)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bigmat
    dhope wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Is this on Wattbikes?
    Keiser M3+

I'm not sure how it being a spin bike (and the inertia that goes with them when you're up to speed) affects the power readings. I guess it smooths the output slightly (can't stamp on the pedals and go as much as you might a normal bike, similarly can't just stop?)

Probably a smoother curve. Cadence should be higher as well - at least I'm pretty sure I'm a few RPM faster on a fixed wheel. Quite tempted to give it a go.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

AVG RPM 88
    HIGH RPM 137
    AVG POWER 130
    HIGH POWER 375

Wait a second... 55kg. Are you an oompa loompa?
    Cripes my daughter is 5'2" and weighs more than that - not at all fat either!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Is this on Wattbikes?
    Keiser M3+

Probably a smoother curve. Cadence should be higher as well - at least I'm pretty sure I'm a few RPM faster on a fixed wheel. Quite tempted to give it a go.

Crank length is definitely bigger than I'm used to on bikes, so I am finding the high RPM stuff more difficult.
  • elbowloh
    This inertia thing, t definitely took me by surprise the first couple of times I went, when I just stopped pedalling and was almost thrown off the bike!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bigmat
    elbowloh wrote:
    This inertia thing, t definitely took me by surprise the first couple of times I went, when I just stopped pedalling and was almost thrown off the bike!

Happened to me at about 30mph at Herne Hill - went down like a sack of ****. Fortunately I bounce.
  • Crab22
    Crab22 Posts: 5
    Had a go at Athlete Lab today. The site is offering one off free sessions at the minute - overall I was pretty impressed. I don't tend to ride indoors much and living in a one bed makes using a turbo a little difficult etc. etc. but since it was free I thought I'd give it a go and potentially buy some sessions for days when the weather is really 'un-rideable'.

Anyhow... I thought I'd book onto the 6.30am threshold session to punish myself a bit - nothing like a bit of pain on a Friday morning - format is 14 mins @ 95% FTP, 12 mins @100% FTP and 10 mins at 100% FTP - 3 mins rest in between and the standard warm up/down.

I would recommend it to anyone. One thing to note, apparently the bikes chuck out numbers that are a little lower than what you'd get on a crank-based powermeter (approx 3%) - Jack the instructor has an SRM and said that this is what he finds anyway. Doesn't sound that big a deal, but when you're working threshold - 3% can be a fairly chunky number, so take note.

Only negative was the rubbish music, but this was more than made up for by the fact that Tommy Voeckler was in the background behind the data gurning like a champ.