Winter bike makeover - now I need a winter bike !

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited January 2015 in Your road bikes
I bought this frame on eBay a few years ago and built it up as a winter bike. I love Colnagos, and this one, like the others I've had is super comfortable.
This is how it looked when I bought it..

9424152368_dca6d48af1.jpg

..and this is how it looked built..

9424152254_4ee55a0bbc.jpg

In the spring I debated replacing it with a Boardman CX for winter use but its such a good fit I couldn't part with it so sent it to Neill at Atlantic Boulevard for a respray while the carbon lovelys are in use for the summer. I've always wanted a Saronni red Colnago. Neill has done a stunning job on the paintwork so I have rebuilt it with trinkets from the garage and this is how it now looks.

9424152042_24bd920a6a.jpg

I think its stunning..and am delighted with it.

The only trouble is, I now need a winter bike, but I'm at N+3 so am not sure whether just to get on with it, or buy the Boardman CX anyway :D

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    9424152042_24bd920a6a_c.jpg

Beautiful paintjob!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Nice, I think you've made the very best of the frame.
    What are the wheels? They finish it off nicely.

Declan1. I like your Photography, please take time to look at mine at http://www.tpphotography.eu
  • shipley
    Thanks....the wheels are Halo '.38 calibre'. Very noisy free hub but they are very robust wheels with great hubs and so great for winter
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    That's a beauty. Good work!
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    Bit nice that!
    ....like it's golden
  • autobahn
    autobahn Posts: 114
    Thats fantastic - I would still use it as your winter bike - it will give you pleasure riding through the winter and you've got your carbon jobbies for the spring/summer. The winter won't be that hard on it, a quick regular clean and bob's you uncle!!
  • shipley
    Autobahn wrote:
    Thats fantastic - I would still use it as your winter bike - it will give you pleasure riding through the winter and you've got your carbon jobbies for the spring/summer. The winter won't be that hard on it, a quick regular clean and bob's you uncle!!

I think you're right, apart from the white bar tape :( but I had to go for white as it finishes it off properly.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That paint job looks fantastic!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    smashing bike, it seems way too good for the winter hack... i've gone and got the cx, currently shod with gatorskins and it's great for commuting (fast reliable comfortable) though not sure if i'll ever fully get on with the apex shifters or even my upgraded bb7's. if you've got a decent commute it won't take long for salt and grit to destroy drivetrain and paint so good to have a reliable fast hack to trash thru the winter... am saving my carbon and vintage bikes for the drier / hotter days. Woo.
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    That paint is awesome - mind sharing how much it cost?
  • That's lush....don't let it anywhere near winter slush!
  • shipley
    bencolem wrote:
    That paint is awesome - mind sharing how much it cost?

Hi Ben, it was £400. I thought long and hard about putting so much into this bike considering it was about 50% of the cost of a Boardman CX. I then remembered how comfortable it was and the fact that I always wanted a Colnago in this colour. I tried a local guy who said he'd 'give it a go' :shock: , I then spoke to Argos in Bristol who gave me no confidence and then, via The LFGSS forum heard of Atlantic Boulevard.

Neil is such a nice guy and has done such a good job (lacquering the decals etc) that I'm delighted I went for it. In the flesh it is simply stunning and money well spent.

If the winter is bad this year I may turn to the mtb :D
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Thanks for the info - it does look first class, might have to talk to them about one of my bikes!
  • shipley
    http://www.atlantic-boulevard.co.uk/

Here you go, ask for Neil Shankland, top bloke

Good luck
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Very nice indeed - now slam that stem and it'll be well lush.
  • That looks lovely, I would personally look out for a fluted Campagnolo seat-post and a silver Cinelli stem, that would be the finishing touch for me.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Colnago winter bike, to go with the Pinarello you ride to the shops ;-) Too posh for winter now, an excuse for another bike :-)
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    quality,enjoy.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    that looks fantastic
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Stunning bike.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL