Tyres?

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited March 2015 in Track
What tyres do you guys use outside of racing?

I'm considering using the Vittoria Diamante Pro Pista Track Tyre but wondering what other/better options are available. The intent is for them to be primarily used for inside training.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Clinchers? If it's for training only, then just use something cheap like Zaffiro slicks. Although another good alternative to the Diamante is Conti's GP Supersonic...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm considering a pair of regular Diamantes as they are available at a pretty good price for lightweight, racy tyres. For track, has there been the same move towards wider tyres as with road cycling, or is thinner / lighter / more aero the way to go? My choice would be between 22mm and 24mm.

Cheers

Mat
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I looked at this before, seems like people are still looking for the thinner tyres on track bikes. I remember seeing one of the British cycling bikes and it still had extremely thin tyres. Less advantage from a tyre that deforms to meet the surface on the track I would assume.
  • ianfra
    ianfra Posts: 5
    I used some 19mm Tufos on a concrete track and they were a disaster for my sprinters: Both peeps slipped down the banking when going 'slowly' because there was absolutely no grip. However these tyres are great for the Kilo/Pursuit. So it could be a question of horses for courses. Or tyres to match the event and the surface.