Saucy thoughts about a new carbon steed...

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Tried the Emonda and BMC today. The BMC was a perfectly nice bike but had no spark. It rode very nicely but lacked feedback and felt slightly dead. No go on that one.

The emonda was subtly different. It was a smooth ride but slightly stiffer with great feedback and road handling. I went up downs road on both bikes and they both went up happily but the trek put a smile on my face on the way back down. A good bike I think and could be even better with good wheels, tyres and a saddle that is not the work of the devil.

The Emonda did enough to stay in contention. The BMC was deposit refunded and struck from the list.

As an aside both bikes were rather poorly set up. The evans guys had not done a good job indexing the gears or setting the brakes up.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    menthel wrote:
    Wuss!

Went and did a couple of laps. The bike is very nice although I think the 54 is too big for me- my lower back felt stretched out and started to ache. It rides well- comfy with decent feedback through the tyres and seems to accelerate nicely. I doubt there will be any records set this morning as it was very cold and rather icy. However, it did give me a chance to check the brakes and I found the ultegra brakes to be superb, as were the brake blocks and carbon brake tracks on the Reynolds wheels.

I can't wait to try the 51 but before that I have the trek and BMC to try...

If you want to know anything else just shout. I might just try to sneak out again tomorrow morning to give it another go...

You sure the saddle height/fore/aft was right for you? IME that's usually what causes lower back pain.

Not surprised Evans hadn't set things up properly...
  • menthel
    Unfortunately the saddle is about as low as is feasible with the handlebar height and as far forward as is sensible. All good reasons for a test ride and the ability to try the next size down!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    That Aprire does look the business. Keep us posted on the next test rides!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    Will do!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    In further news I picked up the Vincenza in a 51 today but the 5km ride to Aprire on the 54 just showed what a good bike it is. Smile on my face all the way- it's just so nimble handling and quick off the mark. Much better than the Emonda. The 51 feels a little more twitchy under me but still very sharp. Needs a tweak in my position with the much lower front end (about 2.5cm!). It also has a pair of aksiums on it and I don't think much of them so far in 5km- a little dead feeling and a bit narrow. It also has SRAM Force on it and I don't like double tap! ;)

Will report back but it looks like the Emonda is off the list. Still need to get to Condor...
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Refunded the emonda deposit. Aprire top of the list now. If it doesn't work out it will be the emonda in ultegra spec I think...
    RIP commute...
  • Nobody can't blame you for not trying out... :wink:

Can you not just keep testing bikes instead of buying one? This way you'll never get bored...
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    Nobody can't blame you for not trying out... :wink:

Can you not just keep testing bikes instead of buying one? This way you'll never get bored...

I figure that the buying may as well be fun too. Its more fun than buying one from the internet because its a bargain! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • il_principe
    menthel wrote:
    It also has SRAM Force on it and I don't like double tap! ;)

Seconded SRAM Force is horrible.
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:
    It also has SRAM Force on it and I don't like double tap! ;)

Seconded SRAM Force is horrible.

Glad it's not just me. I didn't like it when I tried it out when buying the Italia and I don't like it now!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Dropped the bike back this evening. Ended up talking spec and colour as they now have their own spray booth! Looks like it's going to be an Aprire!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel wrote:
    Dropped the bike back this evening. Ended up talking spec and colour as they now have their own spray booth! Looks like it's going to be an Aprire!

Can you live with a bike named after the verb "to open" in its infinitive form? Would you buy a bike called "to open"?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    menthel wrote:

Can you live with a bike named after the verb "to open" in its infinitive form? Would you buy a bike called "to open"?
    I like the fact that the frame is made in Italy, I also like the fact that the company is local. I'm not so keen on the name, but that is only an issue for the likes of Ugo and me. If it had disc brakes it would be almost perfect. :mrgreen:
    Of all the bikes you've considered that is the one I like most though. Do it.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm just amazed you've spun 7 pages out of your new bike purchase. Are other shoppers going to keep it going now I wonder?

'To Open' is much better than the Vauxhall Nova - No va roughly translates as 'Won't Go' or 'is not going'. Hence why it was the Corsa in Europe long before it was in the UK...
  • TimothyW wrote:
    I'm just amazed you've spun 7 pages out of your new bike purchase. Are other shoppers going to keep it going now I wonder?

'To Open' is much better than the Vauxhall Nova - No va roughly translates as 'Won't Go' or 'is not going'. Hence why it was the Corsa in Europe long before it was in the UK...

Nova is latin for new...

The biggest problem is the On One "pompino" of course... which is Italian for blow-job
  • menthel
    Remember I am an Anglo-Saxon ingnoramus and therefor have no understanding of other languages. More of a concern is that the name reminds me of priapism but that is my career interfering.

Sorry for the 7 pages but I think it's a lot more fun than a thread about which canyon- you can't even test ride them! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I've enjoyed reading this thread, very pleasant.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    menthel wrote:
    Remember I am an Anglo-Saxon ingnoramus and therefor have no understanding of other languages. More of a concern is that the name reminds me of priapism but that is my career interfering.

Sorry for the 7 pages but I think it's a lot more fun than a thread about which canyon- you can't even test ride them! ;)

Are you a "fluffer"? :shock:

Nothing wrong with Open for a bike name. I have one already... (although the MTB version thereof).

i-01.jpg
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • menthel
    I have never "fluffed" anyone!

Anyway, the deed is done- Vincenza ordered with ultegra and a fancy red paintjob from their newly installed spray booth. Should be with me in a week or two...
    RIP commute...
  • il_principe
    Congratulations sir.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    menthel wrote:
    red paintjob

Hurrah!
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    always an exciting moment
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • menthel wrote:
    I have never "fluffed" anyone!

Anyway, the deed is done- Vincenza ordered with ultegra and a fancy red paintjob from their newly installed spray booth. Should be with me in a week or two...

With the Cosmic? :wink:
  • menthel
    No, kysrium elites- they don't stock anything wider. I may well get a hope freehub and transfer the red hubbed archtypes over...
    RIP commute...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    will await the full review once you've had it a while
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • menthel
    Will do. Its going to be a little different for me- carbon frame, factory wheels, mid compact rather than a 50/34 (my fitness wouldn't cope with a standard chainset) and an 11-28 out the back. I have upped the gearing as I think my other bikes with the compact chainset have made me a little lazy and complacent going uphill so hopefully it should help me get a little better and fitter going upwards in the long run. The frame geometry is also very much more aggressive so it will be good to see how I adapt to that.

Am looking forward to it!
    RIP commute...
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    well done, a happy ending enjoy
  • menthel
    Process has become slightly frustrating now. Lots of talk of it being ready and then it not being. Lesson probably is that you shouldn't order from a small company just as they launch a new range and go to the biggest bike show in the UK!

If they had said it will be ready in X weeks I wouldn't have minded but the constant delays is just a little frustrating!
    RIP commute...