Warm Jacket Suggestion (@Bender)

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,427
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys/BendertheRobot

I'm in the market for a warm jacket to wear on (dutch) nights like these where it isnt going to rain but it's blimmin' cold (around 0deg). I have some thick/long sleeve jerseys which i wear over a Rapha Merino layer and under either a waterproof or a thin Gore windproof jacket.

We tend to do hard & fast rides so this combination is just about warm enough when we re hammering along but something that is going to keep me nice and toasty.

I'm an unashamed Rapha Fanboy so was looking at the ProTeam Winter Jacket but i don't get the impression (from the Tights) that it is particularly warm. I struggle slightly with the fit of Castelli being short and fat.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• The Pro Team can work in those conditions. It's very very good. But don't slow down! I think if you use a heavier weight base layer (think Helly Hansen Ice or Freeze) then it should be very good in those conditions.

The Alpha, is, of course, great. FWIW, the XL Alpha and Rapha are similar in size though, to be fair, the belly on the Alpha is definitely tighter.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Mavic are worth a look but stick to the higher end of their soft shell range. Good quality jackets that seem to last. Mavic use a few zipped vent areas to stop overheating, the ones on the lower sleeves I find particularly effective. They also have a few nice features such as the ergo zip and cuffs which I find work really well and aren't just a marketing gimmick.

Not being one of the more popular brands you can usually pick them up with good reductions. The Echappee is my personal favorite. FYI - Mavic use international sizing on their size charts, so a 'L' would be a UK 'M', etc etc.

I know you said you don't get on with Castelli but give the Elemento a try, it's extremely breathable and does come up a little larger than the Alpha and Espresso, particularly around the middle.

HTH
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • yeah, like Mavic stuff. Except the Inferno. Do not by the inferno. Unless your Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy. It may well fit him ok.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jordan_217
    yeah, like Mavic stuff. Except the Inferno. Do not by the inferno. Unless your Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy. It may well fit him ok.

+1. Sleeves are terribly out of proportion/huge!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    +1 on the Mavic...mine is an older version of this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-espoir-thermo-jacket-aw14/rp-prod67049?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA3IKmBRDFx-P_rLyt6QUSJACqiAN8X2OX69GSyp3CPNdfjLRDkpR_72qeuPNALXUkpLyWSxoC7jvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It can hold off a bit of rain and works fine with just a base layer underneath but in anything higher than 6-7 degrees you're going to boil:-)
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm a Rapha fanboi I'm afraid.
    Pro-Team Jacket works absolutely fine for me, only wear a Merino Baselayer with the jacket and I'm toasty for the entire ride. Even on fairly easy jaunts I tend to stay nice and warm (temperatures around the 0-2 degree range)
    I also have the Rapha Winter Jersey, this gets less use than the Pro Team Jacket but is still a good warm piece of kit. I wore it at the weekend, starting temperature was -1. It was fine.
  • +1 for the Mavic Espoir Thermo. Mine's OK with a single (thick) base layer at between say 2 and 5 C. But if its around freezing, I add another layer. One negative - it has three separate rear pockets and they're all a bit narrow.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    +1 on the Pro Team Jacket, great bit of kit.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Mavic Echappee is very good. I wear it on my 60 mile round trip commute with just a rapha pro team s/s merino base (very thin) and it's been perfect all winter so far (riding in temps from -7C to +10C). At -7C I was starting to feel windchill on my shoulders, so that's probably its lower limit without a thicker base. In warmer temps the arm vents work really well - feels like wearing a s/s jersey. Useful water-resistance too - light rain beads up and runs off. Cost about £60 -£70 I think.

But, if you like rapha, buy a rapha.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    yeah, like Mavic stuff. Except the Inferno. Do not by the inferno. Unless your Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy. It may well fit him ok.

Mavic stuff rocks - massively under rated imho.

I have noticed that some of the German sites (Bike-discount specifically) seem to have some serious discounts on Mavic kit at times, bagged 2 pairs of Zxellium Maxi's, Helium bib shorts, echappee jacket, and a HC jersey all for massive reductions, or at least around the 50% mark.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    last night was zero degrees and i was fine in a Rapha ProTeam an HH Ice baselayer.
    Both quality garments that seem to work when its even a little colder or warmer.

Marr
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,427
    Thanks for the tips guys, looking at Mavic stuff now

I assume given that you ve all been so nice about them that Mavic have sorted out quality issues. i ask just becasue i ve been the victim of a few of them :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jordan_217
    ddraver wrote:

I assume given that you ve all been so nice about them that Mavic have sorted out quality issues. i ask just becasue i ve been the victim of a few of them :(

I have 3 softshells, a waterproof and the HC vest. Used quite a lot for the last couple of years and I've never had a single issue. They wash well and still perform like new.

I've heard bad things about the gloves and tights but nothing about jackets and jerseys.
  • daniel_b
    jordan_217 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I have 3 softshells, a waterproof and the HC vest. Used quite a lot for the last couple of years and I've never had a single issue. They wash well and still perform like new.

I've heard bad things about the gloves and tights but nothing about jackets and jerseys.

I have 2 pairs of Echappee bib tights, which aside from being a bit long, have a superb pad, and are lovely and warm.
    I only have one pair of gloves, which I bought for a bargain £10 in a CRC sale, which I think is a Mavic Inferno glove, and it is excellent, though not worth the RRP of £45 or so as it is meant to be.

The only thing Mavic I have tried and sent back was the top range helmet they make, Plasma SLR I think, as it just didn't feel that special, but then it might just be down to my headshape.
    Later versions have lost some weight too, so they may now be better.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    No experience of past problems so can't compare, but current echappee jacket appears fine. Out of the box, all seams, zips, etc are perfectly aligned and very well finished. After a couple of months, no signs of anything coming loose and no signs of wear (bobbling etc) at all from use with messenger bag. Time will tell.
  • daniel_b
    vermin wrote:
    No experience of past problems so can't compare, but current echappee jacket appears fine. Out of the box, all seams, zips, etc are perfectly aligned and very well finished. After a couple of months, no signs of anything coming loose and no signs of wear (bobbling etc) at all from use with messenger bag. Time will tell.

The current Echappee (The only one I have had) is a lovely bit of kit, great finish, and the arm vents are superb and so easy to operate.

I bought mine for a bargain £65, but there are some floating out there for around the £80 mark.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I got an Assos ShaQ Uno for crimbo. I haven't tried it yet but it looks really warm.

Assos say maintains temp control best with just one thin layer underneath it.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    When it is cold (~+5 to 0 degrees) I find an Endura Jetstream jersey (half windproof, half cosy) over a Craft Active Extreme baselayer works well for me.