Offset Light for better vehicle clearance

JayKosta
JayKosta Posts: 635
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
I used a homemade light that attached to the handlebars and extended about 6 inches beyond the 'traffic side' of the bike. It was a combination red rear light, and white front light. Also large enough to be seen in daylight when the light was not being used. It also had a convenient switch that could be used to give a brighter intensity to use as a signal.

I felt that the position of the light urged traffic to give me more clearance because it made my 'width' appear larger. And perhaps because if a vehicle came near enough to frighten me, it might get scratched by the light!

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Interesting idea, but unless the device will snap off/flex surely if that got hit you will still be at risk or getting pulled under the car because of your extra width?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    That is a possibility, but my experience was that vehicles always gave plenty of clearance in order to avoid hitting the the light (and bike/me ...).

It did look odd, was cumbersome in close quarters, and definitely not 'aero', but I think it provided an extra amount of safety - especially when riding on narrow and dark streets.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Good idea. i remember you used to be able to buy high vis flags to hang off your seat that did this as well.

They came on flexible plastic shafts that bent if hit.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Good idea. i remember you used to be able to buy high vis flags to hang off your seat that did this as well.

They came on flexible plastic shafts that bent if hit.
    A friend of my sister had one of these. She took it off because too many drivers seemed to think it was some sort of a game and would try to hit it.