What do you drink on your bike?

2_tyred_itai
2_tyred_itai Posts: 53
edited February 2015 in Training, fitness and health
What do you guys normally take with you to drink on the bike and why?

Different drinks for different distances?

I'm on the water mostly, and have dissolved ORS tablets before on longer rides. Just wandering what other good options to consider. Obviously most 'energy' drinks are meant to be a load of crap and expensive so I won't bother with those. I've heard watered down Coke mentioned before...

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Coke 50/50 with water is not a bad energy drink as its got reasonable amounts of sugar and caffeine in.

It really depends on your diet and endurance ability. Some days I will train on less than 100kcal intake before training - I'll typically go with a zero cal tab as it helps with the cramps due to low salt. If I've eaten in the last 4 hours then water is fine. But a bit of squash always tastes better. I personally go for stuff with caffeine in even though it works against hydration. Normally this can be due to getting up at 3AM for a 5:30 start on the event.

Sports drinks/powders don't cost that much. A tub of ISO energy is normally buy 1 get 1 for a penny in H&B and lasts ages. But then squash is probably cheaper.

I think its when you look at value for money that these things start to look poor. I personally couldn't get through all the stuff in a high5 race pack.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    What do I drink: Water

Why: It doesn't rot my teeth or ever taste sickly even if I drink it all day I also have a tap full of it .
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Winter

Under 2 hours just water.
    Longer rides all sports winter training fuel

Summer

Water or high5 energy source. Occasionally high5 extreme for early morning time trials.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    High5 energy source
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bottle of wine in the bottle cage :D

Water mainly, sometimes I put Lucozade (Sport not the fizzy stuff obviously) in my second bidon if I'm doing a longer ride just in case I need a sugar boost. Since I've got more used to doing longer rides I haven't bothered with that so much though.
  • diy wrote:
    Sports drinks/powders don't cost that much. A tub of ISO energy is normally buy 1 get 1 for a penny in H&B and lasts ages. But then squash is probably cheaper.

Squash? Why, is it meant to give any benefit apart from the taste, that makes it an alternative to sports drinks/powders?
  • Water, caffeine & paracetamol
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Water, caffeine & paracetamol

Paracetamol??
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I have never used commercial drinks because its not possible to quantify there cost effectiveness so I make my own up. I use glucose because it is the primary substance that the body needs for energy. I sweat a lot even in the winter but only in the summer use a little LO-SALT because of it also has potassium content. When sugars are used in the bottle at sometime it may produce a black bacteria/fungal deposit so I use a little orange juice. This stops its growth and keeps the bottle sterile. I don't know what is in it that does it.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Short or easy ride I use water, otherwise I use tesco berries and cherries squash. I put some Myprotein electrolyte in too if it's a longer ride. I'll occasionally put some caffeine in too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Almost always water with carbs/protein coming from food. It's purely practical some of the sugared drinks have a habit of spilling over the bike so it needs more cleaning.

Only exception is competition where fuelling will be a key factor so 100 mile and up time trials + gran fondos where I will take mix of normal food + sugared drinks. Again its practical, sometimes its easier to take a quick swig from a bottle rather than chew food.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    diy wrote:

Squash? Why, is it meant to give any benefit apart from the taste, that makes it an alternative to sports drinks/powders?

Benefit is relative. I tend to take either squash or a diluted cola mix, because you're more likely to drink something you like the taste of, as opposed to something that you are dreading pulling out of the bottle cage. Same goes for food.

As Bahzob says above - the energy/nutritional content of whatever fluid you are carrying only really becomes a consideration on higher intensity rides over 2/3 hours...
  • Sponser long energy (berry flavour has 10% protein) competition & recovery. Swiss hi-tec rocket fuel with everything from BCAA's to Vitargo :D
  • Water with nuun tabs.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • cyco2 wrote:
    I have never used commercial drinks because its not possible to quantify there cost effectiveness so I make my own up. I use glucose because it is the primary substance that the body needs for energy. I sweat a lot even in the winter but only in the summer use a little LO-SALT because of it also has potassium content. When sugars are used in the bottle at sometime it may produce a black bacteria/fungal deposit so I use a little orange juice. This stops its growth and keeps the bottle sterile. I don't know what is in it that does it.

I like the sound of making up my own drink and controlling what's in it. Do the glucose and Lo-SALT just dissolve in cold water?

Thanks everyone for all your replies, some very interesting points here.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Generally, a young sauternes.

Why? I keep the old ones for drinking with foie gras.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Short rides in moderate temperature - just water.
    Longer rides I make up a mix of maltodextrin (very cheap) and water with a dash of Sainsbury's Summer Fruits High Juice (for taste)and perhaps a bit electrolyte.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Currently nothing except on 4 hour plus rides.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593

I like the sound of making up my own drink and controlling what's in it. Do the glucose and Lo-SALT just dissolve in cold water?[/quote]

In plain water it dissolve easily. I put about 5 tsp in 750ml for rides and for a pre-load drink before a race, because I cannot drink effectively during a CX or MTB race, I put 10 tsp in 500ml with a little LO-SALT to assist absorption. The glucose I get in 5kg bags. Other than that I think £2.25 in H&B per 450g. For some reason they never include it in there 1p deals. Then for taste and health I include the squash.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Normally just water for me, zero cals and zero prep
  • joe2008 wrote:
    EFS. Expensive, but amazing stuff.

One serving delivers 1400mg of essential electrolytes to prevent cramping (the highest available), it has no artificial flavours or colours, it's gentle on the stomach, you won't need to eat (much), and won't want to ride without it again. Taste is great, I like the lemon and grape flavours.

Has it made a real noticeable difference?
  • imposter2.0

mate - none of these things will make any real, noticeable difference...
  • **** me, I'e just seen how much it is
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:

One serving delivers 1400mg of essential electrolytes to prevent cramping (the highest available),

That's great - but there's no real evidence to pinpoint what causes cramp anyway, lack of electrolytes or otherwise..
  • Lauquen Artes Mineral Water
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A pinch of salt in ordinary squash is a pretty good isotonic drink. Energy drinks are a little harder to make.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

mate - none of these things will make any real, noticeable difference...

mate, try it then come back and tell me that.

I know that you know it all, but the guys at First Endurance might know a little more than even you!

No need to be so defensive mate - I pulled you up on your statement that electrolytes prevent cramping. The truth is, nobody really knows what causes cramp. But if you're happy to swallow all of the marketing BS that comes along with the expensive drinks, then everyone's happy - particularly 'the guys at First Endurance'.

Correct fuelling and nutrition certainly enables you to train harder for longer - that much is true. But sports drinks really don't make you faster and I doubt if this particular 'wonder drink' has anything that the others don't.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

No need to be so defensive mate - I pulled you up on your statement that electrolytes prevent cramping. The truth is, nobody really knows what causes cramp. But if you're happy to swallow all of the marketing BS that comes along with the expensive drinks, then everyone's happy - particularly 'the guys at First Endurance'.

Correct fuelling and nutrition certainly enables you to train harder for longer - that much is true. But sports drinks really don't make you faster and I doubt if this particular 'wonder drink' has anything that the others don't.

yeah, when I see your name against almost any post on any board I know you're probably going to be pulling someone up on something.

Like I say, why not try it and see for yourself.

I tend to pull up either the arrogant or the ignorant - or sometimes both, as in this case. Perhaps if you did some research on the causes of cramp, you wouldn't be so keen to pour your expensive snake oils down everyone else's throats... ;)
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    I tend to pull up either the arrogant or the ignorant - or sometimes both, as in this case.

...and this has shown you to be neither of course...

To be fair, I'm not the one pushing the 'wonder' sports drink - you are. I'm the one trying (and evidently failing) to point out to you that the causes of cramp are not as clear cut as you think. Sorry if you think that's arrogant. Either way, the burden of proof is on you mate. Unfortunately, rather than get involved in an intelligent discussion, your only response so far has been to attack me for saying it. Which brings me back to my earlier point.
  • joe2008 wrote:
    EFS. Expensive, but amazing stuff.

One serving delivers 1400mg of essential electrolytes to prevent cramping (the highest available), it has no artificial flavours or colours, it's gentle on the stomach, you won't need to eat (much), and won't want to ride without it again. Taste is great, I like the lemon and grape flavours.

Sounds like a sales pitch.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles