garmin edge 1000 and strava segments?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited January 2015 in Road general
I have seen somewhere that you can now get your strava segments on to your edge 1000 ?is this possible and how can I go about doing it? but i can see this becoming annoying as there is a segment pretty much every 100 meters or so where I live.so can you just pick and choose or is it just feeding from strava?

many thanks
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    The only way I know of doing it is by converting the Strava segment to a Garmin segment, which you can then copy onto your Garmin 1000 - use this website to convert it:- http://gniza.org/segments/#/
  • sigorman85
    ah cheers been on it but it seems to convert them in to a fit. file and im having a few problems trying to find a prog that will open them on windows 8.1

ive managed to convert them and there on my laptop just cant open them
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• sigorman85 wrote:
    ah cheers been on it but it seems to convert them in to a fit. file and im having a few problems trying to find a prog that will open them on windows 8.1

What do you want or need to open the fit file for?

Garmins program basecamp will open fit file courses and activities.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp
  • ianlash
    sigorman85 wrote:

No need to open the FIT file. Just connect your Garmin to your computer, copy the FIT file into the Garmin's \NewFiles folder, disconnect the Garmin and power it back on. More details here:- https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?99688-How-to-get-Strava-Segments-on-your-Edge-1000
  • sigorman85
    So when I export the file from that website its got the option of open save shall I just save then go to downloaded files and drag it to the garmin new files?

• ianlash
    sigorman85 wrote:
    So when I export the file from that website its got the option of open save shall I just save then go to downloaded files and drag it to the garmin new files?

Yes, it should be that easy.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have a hunt around - I seem to remember there's a site that's converted Strava Segments to Garmin ones or something like that.

I was surprised to find Garmin segments popping up on my old 800. I think somehow they're embedded in routes I developed originally for my 1000 before I sent it back.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If you create a course in Garmin Connect it will embed Garmin segments.

I normally ride to courses and can't see any way of riding Strava segments whilst doing so.

I have recreated my favourite Strava Segments as Garmin Segments, which solves this. I expect, in time, all of the main Strava ones will be mirrored on Garmin.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think this might be what I saw

http://gniza.org/segments/#/

Disclaimer - I've never even tried it!!!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sigorman85
    Yep all done it was so easy! It was a simple drag the file in to the garmin new files and it was there. Tried it out this morning on the way to work and worked perfect ... I was along way off on the segments But it was -4 . I also like how I can pick and choose what segments I want just made the edge 1000 that little bit better ! Cheers for all the help guys