Bike fit @ Cadence Sport

norvernrob
norvernrob Posts: 1,447
edited January 2015 in Road general
So, after digging my car out of the snow this morning I managed to make it to my fit ok!

I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend Adrian to anyone wanting a good fitter. I had no issues or niggles on my bikes, but just wanted to be as efficient as possible. It turns out my saddle was nearly 1cm too high, too far forward and tilted down (I thought I'd set it level!). The bars were rotated too far upwards because the hoods were too low down from the factory, and that meant the drops weren't how they should have been. My cleats needed moving too. Whilst the saddle was moved backwards, the actual reach to the bars was reduced by 2cm.

When he'd put me into the new position and I'd had a ride for a while he changed back to the old position so I could compare - I was amazed as it suddenly felt so wrong - hips rocking, legs dipping down at the bottom of the pedal stroke, it really felt like I was all over the place. And that was a position I thought was ok before!

As soon as he changed to the new position I was putting out more power without any extra effort (I didn't even know he was reading power until he told me so it wasn't as if I was trying harder).

Money well spent IMO, considering what I've spent on this hobby on shiny stuff that doesn't really make any difference! Plus you get the custom Sidas footbeds too.

Rob

Comments

• sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Guys, a quick question? Did he use KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) method at all during the fit, or indeed, use I as a final reference point? Did he ever reference your knee position to your pedal spindle?
    I ask as it's become a bit of a debate amongst some friends of mine. Which fitters use KOPS as apposed to the correct balance point, etc.
    Thank you.
  • norvernrob
    sopworth wrote:
    Guys, a quick question? Did he use KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) method at all during the fit, or indeed, use I as a final reference point? Did he ever reference your knee position to your pedal spindle?
    I ask as it's become a bit of a debate amongst some friends of mine. Which fitters use KOPS as apposed to the correct balance point, etc.
    Thank you.

It's not something he mentioned to me at all, though that doesn't mean he didn't use it as a reference point. He started off getting the bars right, correct angle, hoods etc then worked from there. Flexibility, inseam, injury history, what I wanted out of the fit etc were all asked and checked, as well as other stuff. The fit took 2.5hrs in total.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Fwiw, in the several times I've been to see Adrian for fits on different bikes and following different injuries, he has never mentioned KOPS. Lots of other measuring and, more importantly, observation though.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    I had a bike fit with Adrian about 3 years ago. I remember he used as small laser light to project a thin vertical beam to see where my knee was in relation to the spindle.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    That's great, thank you.
  • norvernrob
    Link to the video of me on both bikes after the fit, he does use a laser but didn't mention if it was for KOPS or not.

http://ubersense.com/8xKwzxdT
  • Same for me. He used a laser thing, but no mention of kops. I know that he moved my saddle back a little to take some weight off my shoulders (I have shoulder problems, due to a climbing injury). He also had me lifting my hands from the bars when pedaling, to see how well I was in balance and how good my core was at supporting me. So in my case I think we were looking at balance point.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The saddle balance thing is classic Steve Hogg. I too had problems with my shoulders. I don't any more.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach