From BMX to MTB?

Mr Burns
Mr Burns Posts: 9
edited January 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi folks,

I'm new on here, and as I've mentioned in my intro thread I live next to Cannock Chase and have only just started riding MTB at the age of 34!

I've come from many years of riding BMX so as you can imagine even a small MTB feels rather large haha!

So I'm 5'6 and I'm currently riding a 2011 Carrera Vulcan which does the job, but the forks aren't great and it feels quite heavy.

Ideally I want something that feels like a BMX, but with gears and bigger wheels. I like the idea of a single front sprocket and small frame, with a nice light and simple design... Any ideas?

I don't have a budget and I'm happy to buy second-hand if the bike is in good nick, but I'd like to keep to around the £700 mark seeing as I'm only just starting out in MTB :)

Comments

• Just noticed this is in the wrong section, sorry.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to ride xc then you won't get away from the bike feeling huge compared to your bmx because you need to be able to get the saddle height fot efficient pedalling.
    The alternative is a dirt jump bike but they aren't any good for covering miles.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check out the link in my sig for how far you can take a Vulcan frame, mine ended up at 9.6Kg, 1x9 gearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If you want to ride xc then you won't get away from the bike feeling huge compared to your bmx because you need to be able to get the saddle height fot efficient pedalling.

Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing a chav on a bmx thats 2 sizes too small for him and with the saddle lowered right down to the bottom.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:

Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing a chav on a bmx thats 2 sizes too small for him and with the saddle lowered right down to the bottom.

Traditional BMX bikes are more or less all the same size, with main variation being the length of the top tube. Having the seat set at the minimum height aids clearance for tricks like tailwhips and turndowns, as you're very rarely going to need to 'sit' on a BMX. As for chavs, well I can't comment as I don't know any that ride BMX bikes.