Mallorca. Which best bits have I missed.

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
Clearly I need to do Sa Calobra and out to Formentor, but can you help me identify other great bits I need to add to my heat map?

We are based in Palma and I like heading out east a little for recovery days and into the western hills for the more challenging stuff. But, I bet we have missed a few really pretty ones. No problem going anywhere as we have a car to take us to our start point if we need to.

Thanks.

68f4efb7e80f5c4be469633ba3e434bb.jpg

Comments

• Looks like from that map you've done the Monastery climb near Cala d'Or?

Other than that you've done the good stuff. The only extra thing I've done is Port to Pollenca to Cala d'Or (and back). But by Mallorca standards that was a pretty flat and not especially interesting ride.

Out of those that you've done which ride is the one you remember most fondly?
  • Dippydog3
    My favourite is the loop to the west. Andratx, Estellencs, Banyalbufar, Galilea etc.

I am also fond of the loop that takes in Bunyola and Alaro. Clockwise is better.

Third favourite, but the best for a quiet day is south of Llucmajor with lunch at Can Busso. (Probably spelt that wrong).
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Looks like from that map you've done the Monastery climb near Cala d'Or?

Other than that you've done the good stuff. The only extra thing I've done is Port to Pollenca to Cala d'Or (and back). But by Mallorca standards that was a pretty flat and not especially interesting ride.

Out of those that you've done which ride is the one you remember most fondly?

There are a few in the South East

But it looks like you havent done San Salvador by Felantix.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Also love coastal ride -- but I go up from galilea to sollar via the coast and then over sollar and back toward Palma. You can also pop in puig mayor. Alternatively you can turn towards valledemossa. There's some great one way climbs off that road to the beach (and steep by Mallorca standards).

I also do the loop counterclockwise starting with two climbs & getting to coast via barbruynffar (or whatever it is called) and taking that all the way to andrax, where there's another climb to calvia.
  • Tough to tell exactly on your heatmap but have you done any of the below?

1. Talai d'Albertux in time to see either the sunrise, or be there for the evening when the sun goes down on one side behind the Tramuntana and the moon comes out of the sea near Minorca on the other at the same time. Spectacular.
    2. The short climb at La Victoria - then a fresh seafood lunch at the Cocodrillo on the marina in Bonaire?
    3. Up into Buger from the Sa Pobla side down into Campanet - almond blossom in spring and a wonderful choice of cafés then onto Col de Sa Batalla from Caimari and the world famous almond cake at the top?
    4. Winding it up faster and faster from Lluc to Pollenca. Undulating and then the downhill exhilarating run past the ski teams training on Col de Femenia?
    5. Fresh OJ at the aquaduct before Col dels Reis?
    6. Banyalbufar to Andratx?
    7. The cheeky climb up from Port Valdemossa?

I could go on and on if its useful?
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    It doesn't look like you have done Sa Calobra? That is a great descent and tough climb back out.
  • JohnW52
    JohnW52 Posts: 34
    Doesn't look like you've done the Puig Major from Soller yet either - biggest climb on the island.
  • Dippydog3
    ManxShred wrote:
    It doesn't look like you have done Sa Calobra? That is a great descent and tough climb back out.

Yes, as I said at the beginning, that is on the list. Week after next actually.
  • Dippydog3
    Tough to tell exactly on your heatmap but have you done any of the below?

1. Talai d'Albertux in time to see either the sunrise, or be there for the evening when the sun goes down on one side behind the Tramuntana and the moon comes out of the sea near Minorca on the other at the same time. Spectacular.
    2. The short climb at La Victoria - then a fresh seafood lunch at the Cocodrillo on the marina in Bonaire?
    3. Up into Buger from the Sa Pobla side down into Campanet - almond blossom in spring and a wonderful choice of cafés then onto Col de Sa Batalla from Caimari and the world famous almond cake at the top?
    4. Winding it up faster and faster from Lluc to Pollenca. Undulating and then the downhill exhilarating run past the ski teams training on Col de Femenia?
    5. Fresh OJ at the aquaduct before Col dels Reis?
    6. Banyalbufar to Andratx?
    7. The cheeky climb up from Port Valdemossa?

I could go on and on if its useful?

Please do go on. We are there for several weeks in February so lots of variety needed.

On the heat map anything coloured means we have done it. Grey means not done. Light blue is once or twice, darker blue more often then it gets red hot for loads and loads of times.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:

Please do go on. We are there for several weeks in February so lots of variety needed.

On the heat map anything coloured means we have done it. Grey means not done. Light blue is once or twice, darker blue more often then it gets red hot for loads and loads of times.

What are you interested most in? Coastal routes, shorter routes, longer routes, hilly? Are you basing yourself just in the one place? Have a look at our website and our FB page for loads of ideas and routes that may get the ideas flowing.

Port Soller, Col de Soller, the Orient Valley, almond blossom... have a fantastic time!