Tour de Yorkshire (no, not deja vu)

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
edited May 2015 in Pro race
Due to the success of the TdF in the UK this year, the UCI announced 2 pro-race events to be held in the UK next year. One is a 3 day Tour in Yorkshire in early May.

What category rating are they going to be?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The Tour of Yorkshire is 2.1
    The other is a one day race in South Wales in June and is 1.1
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    So, 3 full stages, no TT. Probably Hull, Scarborough, the Moors. Let's hope they'll be as brave with the route as the TdF was
  • Prudy loved Scarborough when he saw it didn't he?

Although, who wouldn't?
  • A stage down to Robins Hood Bay or Staithes would sort them out. :)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Will this not take the shine off the ToB though...

I have trouble keeping up with all these races.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A stage down to Robins Hood Bay or Staithes would sort them out. :)

Would be tricky logistically given both are one road dead ends. Whilst that can work, its normally a summit finish rather than a descent to the harbour / beach finish.

The should do Rosedale Chimney Bank, sort the men from the boys, and finish in Whitby, Scarborough's classier neighbour :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Announced the 6 start and finish towns/cities - no route details yet they come in Jan.

Leeds, Wakefield, Bridlington, York, Scarborough, Selby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30574400
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Gary Verity, chief executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, said: "This is another huge milestone for Yorkshire as we position the county as the cycling heartland of Europe.

Mr Verity has an odd sense of humour. I mean he is joking here, right?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    cc78 wrote:
    Gary Verity, chief executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, said: "This is another huge milestone for Yorkshire as we position the county as the cycling heartland of Europe.

Mr Verity has an odd sense of humour. I mean he is joking here, right?

Well, when it's been on the calender for 50 years alongside Trois Jours de Humberside, Semana Aberystyth, Paris-Newport Pagnel, Greene King Gold, Tour de Essex...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • UK is starting to get a half decent amount of UCI ranked races now which can only be good. Lets hope this and the welsh race bring in more mainland European teams like rutland does rather than being a glorified prem like beaumont last year
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    UK is starting to get a half decent amount of UCI ranked races now which can only be good. Lets hope this and the welsh race bring in more mainland European teams like rutland does rather than being a glorified prem like beaumont last year

The difficulty for both Rutland & Beaumont is that as .2 they are restricted to Conti teams. Unless the best European Conti teams travel they end up with fields similar to Premiers. Rutland has been established for a while, but still the races tend to be dominated by British Conti teams, even if some foreign teams do turn up.
    Yorkshire & Velothon Wales as .1 classification will have access to WT & PC teams so should be considerably stronger.
  • john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    Route details here:-

http://letour.yorkshire.com/

John.
  • john_wr
    Sorry, double posting.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    This 'le' and 'de' shite has to go.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i agree it's embarrassing. i was hoping they would announce a sponsor along with the route and the name would change with it. not looking good on that front though
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    At least the interactive route website is vaguely intuitive and actually seems to work. Well done to the organisers for that.
    (Not only that - it's got the yellow Streetview figure! I've spent almost as much time using that function having virtual bike rides around the world as I've had actual bike rides...)

Most race route maps are about as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit
    point_point.png
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    This 'le' and 'de' shite has to go.

I like it :(
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit

You bad man
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    John Wr wrote:

John.

It's almost the Tour of the East Riding. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    deejay wrote:
    John Wr wrote:

John.

I thought it was quite well spread, straight out of the East pretty much on day 1 and only halfish there on day 2.

South Yorkshire has been the biggest loser, their choice though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    deejay wrote:
    John Wr wrote:

John.

the first day is almost entirely in north yorkshire and finishes in north yorkshire. the second day starts and finishes in north yorkshire. the third day is in west yorkshire
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:
    John Wr wrote:

John.

I thought it was quite well spread, straight out of the East pretty much on day 1 and only halfish there on day 2.

Your right, that on reflection the 3 Ridings are all involved. :oops:
    I've never heard of South Yorkshire in my geography lessons, so it's only a political name without history.
    What I do remember is which Riding that York is in. ?
  • ducknumber1
    deejay wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    John Wr wrote:

John.

Your right, that on reflection the 3 Ridings are all involved. :oops:
    I've never heard of South Yorkshire in my geography lessons, so it's only a political name without history.
    What I do remember is which Riding that York is in. ?

Spot on, sorry I thought you were referring to the modern day "East Riding", if you can accept it being called such.

And my geography lessons definitely featured South Yorkshire, as they were in the last 40 years.

**EDIT: Sounds a bit ar$ey that, I mean it has been South Yorkshire 40 years, surely that's some history?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Most race route maps are about as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit

Badoom-tish...

The only terrible thing about this route is that I may have to go to Selby. Still, should be able to get over that way, see the start, get home and grab the kids before cycling down to see them towards the finish in York.
  • deejay

And my geography lessons definitely featured South Yorkshire, as they were in the last 40 years.
    My school days in East Yorkshire were Pre 1974, when bureaucracy changed the way Yorkshire Ridings had been known since the Vikings.(I think)
    Now that is History.

But then I'm only a Cockney from the Smoke.
    My Father's work took me to Tyke Land at 2 years of age and returned me 10 years later.
    On our return to the Smoke, the other Bairns told my sister and me to Feck off where we came from, as bloody foreigners.
    I'm rather proud of that upbringing and traveling on East Yorkshire Buses when all the double deckers had pointed roofs.
  • john_wr
    [/quote]

I'm rather proud of that upbringing and traveling on East Yorkshire Buses when all the double deckers had pointed roofs.[/quote]

And on Stage 2 the race will pass through Beverley Bar, the reason for the East Yorkshire buses to have their distinctive pointy roofs.

John.
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:
    I'm rather proud of that upbringing and traveling on East Yorkshire Buses when all the double deckers had pointed roofs.
    John Wr wrote:
    And on Stage 2 the race will pass through Beverley Bar, the reason for the East Yorkshire buses to have their distinctive pointy roofs.
    John.
    Yup, I've traveled through Beverley Bay on the top deck of a bus. (just one of those childhood Boxes I needed to Tick)
    Then in later years I had to travel from London to work several times in Armstrong's Patents Co (shock absorbers Div) in Beverley.
    I know Beverley Bar is now isolated on it's roundabout and the buses no longer have a distinctive shape.
    TTFN.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    John Wr wrote:

John.
    Agree that the 'le', 'de', and particularly 'cote de ..' is a bit tiresome.

Not a bad route. Stage 2 for the sprinters. Stage 1 and 3 are very hilly, with some sharp steep narrow roads in both. A bit disappointing through that both have a flat/rolling finale. An uphill finish or selective climb closer to the finish would have given the race a bit more focus. Without a TT or final climb there's a riks the GC will be something for a random lucky breakaway.
    Also a bit disappointing that they didn't include more cobbled climbs, considering stage 3 spends quite a bit of time in the Haworth/Keighly area. But not a bad start
  • ducknumber1
    deejay wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    John Wr wrote:
    John.
    Yup, I've traveled through Beverley Bay on the top deck of a bus. (just one of those childhood Boxes I needed to Tick)
    Then in later years I had to travel from London to work several times in Armstrong's Patents Co (shock absorbers Div) in Beverley.
    I know Beverley Bar is now isolated on it's roundabout and the buses no longer have a distinctive shape.
    TTFN.

Honestly, I think I've learnt more in this thread about Yorkshire (and its Ridings :oops: ) than the last 25 years living here (also an exile from the south, deejay), especially from the sham "geography" lessons.

Keep up the good work, this is far more educational than skool ever was.