stag weekend. paris-roubaix???

greggbaker
greggbaker Posts: 55
edited February 2015 in Pro race
Getting married in August and need to decide what I want to do for my stag do. Don't fancy getting smashed out of my head in some crap nightclub surrounded by 17 year old dickheads wanting a scrap or paying £50 for some slapper to sit on my lap. Obviously love cycling and want to do something cycling related. Not all coming are into cycling (why are we even friends lol) so can't do a cycling participation event but a weekend in England or Europe watching a race followed by a few beers sounds good. Thought about wiggo at the Paris roubaix but having only watched races in England or at a velodrome don't know where to start. Any ideas or advice gratefully received specially from people who have been to these races.
Cheers guys
Gregg

Comments

• I went to the tour of Flanders for my stag do about 5 years ago.
    Weekend in gent, train to watch race at geraardsbergen where there are loads of bars on the hill as well as a beer tent.
    The Belgians go nuts for Flanders! Which would probably make it better for a stag do than roubaix IMHO but I've never been to roubaix.
    None of my mates were into cycling but all enjoyed the spectacle. A beer tent and some chips kept them happy.
    You could liven things up by running a sweep stake on potential winners and each drawing a rider out of the hat. We all brought casquettes at a souvenir stand so my mates could cheer for riders they had never heard of, riding for a team they had picked based on the colour of the hat or the ridiculousness of then team name!
    At the end of the day it's your stag do and if you want to go then your mates will go with you, that was my theory anyway. It's also lead to a bit of a tradition of all of us arranging stag dos at bizarre sporting events that no one really knows anything about too. All good fun.
  • Thanks buddy. I'll look into the dates and logistics.
  • +1 for Flanders and staying in Gent. Free buses to all the hills from Oudenaarde (which is a train ride from Gent), we were on the Kwaremont last year as the race went through three times - lined with bars and drunk Belgians.
  • timbarnes
    timbarnes Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    [removed duplicate]
  • timbarnes
    edited January 2015
    [removed duplicate]
  • timbarnes
    edited January 2015
    [removed duplicate]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Damn, it must have been good
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    I live near the route of Paris-Roubaix and Roubaix is part of the Lille Metropole, and if you wanted to have a stag weekend, do it in the centre of Lille and not Roubaix (not much happening in terms of nightlife and in some parts not very safe). The race itself is great and I've been up a couple of times (I usually prefer to watch it on TV as it's easier to follow).

Having said that, nightlife in the north of France is not amazing and bars outside the centre close at 8 and don't open on a Sunday. That's fine by me, but for a stag weekend...

If your heart is set on Paris-Roubaix you might be better basing yourself in Tournai (20km from Roubaix) in Belgium as it's good for a night out, but near enough that you can watch the action the next day.
  • nickice
    I live near the route of Paris-Roubaix and Roubaix is part of the Lille Metropole, and if you wanted to have a stag weekend, do it in the centre of Lille and not Roubaix (not much happening in terms of nightlife and in some parts not very safe). The race itself is great and I've been up a couple of times (I usually prefer to watch it on TV as it's easier to follow).

Having said that, nightlife in the north of France is not amazing and bars outside the centre close at 8 and don't open on a Sunday. That's fine by me, but for a stag weekend...

If your heart is set on Paris-Roubaix you might be better basing yourself in Tournai (20km from Roubaix) in Belgium as it's good for a night out, but near enough that you can watch the action the next day.
  • nickice

• nickice

• timbarnes
    edited January 2015
    [removed dupllicate]
  • [removed duplicate]
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Paris Roubaix is s long way before the wedding. Are you planning several stag do's?

These guys look good.

http://cyclingpave.cc
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    flanders is great for that.
    We did just that last year. A bunch of people to Ghent. Rode the sportive, had a few beers in the square.Catch the tram into ghent late afternoon with a meal. Watched the pro race on sunday, good near the oude kwaremont as they go around three laps.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Do Flanders!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • The Alpe would be good for non cycling people, maybe too close to wedding?