Tyre failure?

rja
rja Posts: 78
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hello and Merry Christmas to you all.

Had a blow out on a ride today and it looks as though the side wall has failed.

These are brand new tyres and have done less than 100 miles, before I attempt asking for a refund I just wanted to check that I haven't caused this myself! It was within recommended pressures, correct inner tube, and fine on the first ride out.

Has this happened to anyone else? If it is a side wall failure then I'll send it back.

Its a Conti GP4000 ii if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, Rich

15273568-012E-4E9A-B50C-7FE531D89FF4.jpg

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Suppose you didn't try to put > 10 Bar in i.....
    Tyre failure> warrante> refund or new one.
  • rja
    It was at 100psi which is about 7Bar so should have been able to handle it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Oops! I would be on the phone to the suppliers if I were you.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    For me these are the best road tyres available. Def be on the phone to suppliers.Glad you are OK could have been nasty.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • rja
    ademort wrote:
    For me these are the best road tyres available. Def be on the phone to suppliers.Glad you are OK could have been nasty.

Thanks for you time, looks like it was just a dodgy tyre then & I will be sending it back. Luckily I was on a quiet lane and heard a rubbing noise and pulled over to see what it was, so I was fine, it could have been worse!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Looks like brake-block rub?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    This happened to me last year with Conti Gatorskins. The whole sidewall split around about 25% of the tyre. Took it back to Evans and they swapped it without question.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • ademort
    Thats a good result. In the case of the OP Monty Dog might be right.Other than that i hope the shop where the OP bought the tyre from is as sympathetic as Evans and replace the tyre.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Monty Dog wrote:

Yeah worth checking that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rja
    Monty Dog wrote:

I have put the wheel back on and theres no contact from brake to tyre at all, it just pad to brake track. I also had a look at the rest of the tyre - thinking that if the pad did rub there would be evidence on other parts or all the way round the tyre.

I bought it online and so have opened a returns case, but being after Christmas I'm thinking it may take some time for them to get back to me, but fingers crossed!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Brake rub is normally a bit higher up the sidewall than that. It's very obviously a manufacturing defect which has let the kevlar bead escape from the rubber. That's an obvious warranty issue and no retailer should argue that one.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    this is happening too many times now with Conti GP 4000's for it to be unlucky. I had a 4 mile walk home after 3 punctures and I hadn't noticed the slit in the tyre. 1st and last time buying this make. Will stick to the tried and tested michelins. Are Continental UK doing anything about the complaints ?
  • ademort
    For me the GP4000S is a top tyre never had any problems with them. As you asked are Continental UK looking into these complaints.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I'm interested, where did you both get these failed contis from? Bikediscount.de always seem to be selling them less than trade price, are they selling non gen or factory seconds?
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    I know of quite few GP4000's that have done the same thing. There seemed to bee a bad batch of them as they were all around the same time about 12-18 months ago.

Send it back and get it changed.
  • rja
    mattv wrote:
    I'm interested, where did you both get these failed contis from? Bikediscount.de always seem to be selling them less than trade price, are they selling non gen or factory seconds?

The one pictured above was from Wiggle - who have since requested photographs and ok'd a return to investigate further. So far so good.

With regards to Contis on the whole, I have had no problems with them before, my previous pair lasted well over 12 months through the UK winter incident free.
  • rja
    Quick update, opened a return case with Wiggle, they requested photographs, then got an email asking to return the tyre.

Easily returned and refunded for the tyre on warranty. (I did also send the Conti inner which was collateral damage as a result of the faulty tyre, but they didn't even entertain the idea - worth a try eh?)
  • rja
    Quick update, opened a return case with Wiggle, they requested photographs, then got an email asking to return the tyre.

Easily returned and refunded for the tyre on warranty. (I did also send the Conti inner which was collateral damage as a result of the faulty tyre, but they didn't even entertain the idea - worth a try eh?)
  • ademort
    Good result at the end of the day. I can remember a couple of years ago there were problems with the Schwalbe Ultremo tyres and they sent Two new tyres and inner tubes as compensation. Now that was a good result.We didn,t have to send the tyre off to the manufacturer we only had to take a photo of the tyre and barcode and send it off to Schwalbe.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • rja
    ademort wrote:
    Good result at the end of the day. I can remember a couple of years ago there were problems with the Schwalbe Ultremo tyres and they sent Two new tyres and inner tubes as compensation. Now that was a good result.We didn,t have to send the tyre off to the manufacturer we only had to take a photo of the tyre and barcode and send it off to Schwalbe.

Maybe I should have contacted manafacturer rather than supplier then! That does sound like great customer service.

The only downside is Wiggle have been a bit clever, I bought the tyres as a twin pack. 2 for £58. Now they're saying that they are out of stock, and have refunded me half £29, the price when the come back in stock for one is £34! So that's £5 more I'll pay for the trouble and I'll have to buy a new inner ! Not a lot of money I know, but this wasn't my fault!
  • ademort
    As i remember Schwalbe admitted there was a manufacturing fault as there were many tyre failiures of the same nature. Schwalbe then issued a recall notice and asked customers to send a picture of the code on the inside of the tyre as proof of purchase rather than return the tyre. I,m sure there are other BR members who had the same problem but we never expected to receive two tyres and inner tubes. That was a real bonus.Excellent customer service to say the least.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura