Ideal gearing for Haute Route Pyrenees

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited January 2015 in Road general
Hi,

Last week i entered the Haute Route Pyrenees and this week have sold my Roubaix and looking at either a Rose CGF or a Canyon Endurace CF.

Both have compact chainsets however i can choose between rear cassette ratios. I have been used to an 11-28 however would an 11-32 be ideal for the mountains as a gear to always fall back on if I'm struggling or will an 11-28 be ok?

Im fit 61kg and in my 20's so not a MAMIL

Cheers

Comments

• The only Pyrenean col that has a tough steep section is Marie Blanque, the others rarely pass 9-10%

I'd say 34 x 28 is enough if you don't carry load
    left the forum March 2023
  • 34-28 will be fine. Mind you, at your weight and age you should be on a 39-25 :-)
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I would generally say go for a lower gear. But generally most of the people that ask this question are in their 40s and 50s and excess of 80 kg.

You should have no problem with 34/28. If you do then you're not fit as claimed.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    At what age would you be classified as a MAMIL?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Alex222 wrote:
    At what age would you be classified as a MAMIL?

I suppose it depends on how long you intend to live as to when middle age will occur :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i would go for the 11/32 - the 2nd gear is a 28t anyhow, so you may never need it and the spacing is still pretty good
    the HR Pyrenees is 7 day ride with what? 19km of climbing, not the time to be wishing you had a lower gear.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    Hi,

Last week i entered the Haute Route Pyrenees and this week have sold my Roubaix and looking at either a Rose CGF or a Canyon Endurace CF.

Both have compact chainsets however i can choose between rear cassette ratios. I have been used to an 11-28 however would an 11-32 be ideal for the mountains as a gear to always fall back on if I'm struggling or will an 11-28 be ok?

Im fit 61kg and in my 20's so not a MAMIL

Cheers

If you are in good shape then a 25 should suffice. I did the Raid with a 23. Actually took a 12/25 but messed up my derailleur on the 2nd day and couldn't get into the 25. Wasn't a problem at all and I had 8KG on you.

Also don't limit yourself to Sportive Geom bikes. The more aggressive bikes are perfectly comfy if fitted properly...

Edit - looks a fantastic route.
  • Thanks for responses.

What other bikes should i be considering?
    I broke my back a few years back and i get quite bad neck pain even on my roubaix.

Would a more racing orientated bike make this worse?
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    I'm in my 20s, 80ish kg and did 500km in the Pyreneese this summer with a triple. Spent the first three days hauling myself and panniers up using 30 x 28 as my lowest gear. On the last two days, without panniers, did the Tourmalet and the Aubisque with 40 x 28.

Obviously the Haute Route is almost double what I did, but factoring in group riding, your weight and no luggage, you should be fine with 34 x 28, no harm in having a 32 to cover yourself though.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Did Raid Alpine with my 62 year old dad year before last and we both road 39/53 and 11/28 cassettes.

There were a few times when we (particularly he) would have rather had a smaller gear but it didnt ruin our day, and you get used to riding what you've got.

34/32 must be less than walking speed.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Milese wrote:
    Did Raid Alpine with my 62 year old dad year before last and we both road 39/53 and 11/28 cassettes.

There were a few times when we (particularly he) would have rather had a smaller gear but it didnt ruin our day, and you get used to riding what you've got.

34/32 must be less than walking speed.
    If you were in 34/32 gear and managed a cadence of 60 you would be travelling at just under 6mph. I'd settle for that on a steep incline. My best bike has a low gear of 34/28, but I could certainly do with a lower gear for steep hills.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cassettes are easily replaceable - I used to change mine often depending on what kind of riding I was doing.

Now we have slightly more gears - so theres less need - but I've always been grateful for the lower gear and I climb pretty well.

Where are you based ? Presumably you'll be riding hills to practice ? There are some nasty steep inclines in Britain.

Personally I'd go with the lower cassette option.
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    I'm doing the Haute Route Alps this year and will be taking a compact with 34-28, which I know from previous experience will be sufficient for me on everything I will encounter. I'm 37 and am presently at 63kg.

If as someone else mentioned a 32 goes from a 32 to a 28, that seems to me to be quite a big jump. I would personally be worried about falling into the 32 on a tough section and not being able to go back because of the stepped difference. As I have never tried it I don't know, but that does sound like a pretty big jump to me.

It is however personal preference and I suggest you make this decision based upon your own feeling and knowledge of your own fitness. Friends of mine in the UK use 53/39 chainsets and for the past 3 years in a row stuck with that in place of a compact on our trips abroad - resulting in the same regrets every year in failing to change their setup to take account of the differences in terrain.
  • 12-25 with a compact is more than adequate for a rider in your shape.