Logs over the trail!

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited January 2015 in MTB general
I know there was a similar thread a while back but WTF is wrong with people? I've just cleared 13 logs from one of my local DH trails! Done deliberately! I managed to avoid most of them but hit 1 and flew over the bars!

Some people are just cnuts!!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are they actual cycle trails?

People do it all the time in my local woods - just you're not actually allowed to ride in some of the places.
  • welshkev
    Nah that's the thing. It's a trail in woods that's technically illegal. But it's in the middle of nowhere. There's a farm near the top of the trail (approx 1/2 a mile away) but nothing else. It's too steep to be a walking trail said what do people benefit from doing it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe they just hate you?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe they just hate you?

I wouldn't be surprised!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    welshkev wrote:
    . It's a trail in woods that's technically illegal.
    Rubbish, assuming its private land, it may be trespass, but it is NOT illegal! There is no offence of trespass, and you can't be prosecuted for it (all those signs are 80110CK5), various civil claims could be made (or attempted more likely) but illegal, not AT ALL.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I reckon Codys coming for you......
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Its usually done if motocross bikes have been riding there as I'm sure they wouldn't mind you riding a bicycle on the trail as you wont do much damage compared with a fast motorcross bikes blasting down it.

Are the people in the farm friendly as you could ask them about it and see what they say?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    People in farms are rarely friendly.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    People in farms are rarely friendly.

1175475919_28d7112c64_zps640cd935.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    It's a stud farm I think, with a b&b attached. So not a "real" farm. I've only met the lady from there once when she shouted at us for riding down her drive. It's a bridal way so we had every right to be there as it carrys on past their farm. So I'm guessing from that 1 encounter she doesn't like bikes
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How big are the logs? Just built the logs into a ramp or if you can a jump. Doesn't take too long with a few shovels. Make sure they aren't watching obviously.
  • welshkev
    Some one else said that to me :)

The trail is great as it is and some of them were put in the most dangerous positions! I have s couple of pics but can't upload from my phone. The one was by a drop as you come around a steep blind berm about 3 ft off the ground!!!
  • welshkev
    The Rookie wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    . It's a trail in woods that's technically illegal.
    Rubbish, assuming its private land, it may be trespass, but it is NOT illegal! There is no offence of trespass, and you can't be prosecuted for it (all those signs are 80110CK5), various civil claims could be made (or attempted more likely) but illegal, not AT ALL.

Ok ok calm down ;)

What I meant was that it wasn't an official trail such as Cwmcarn
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Building trails on private land is illegal but riding on private land isn't.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Building trails on private land is illegal but riding on private land isn't.
    I guess it could count as criminal damage.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, it COULD be illegal, not is, but I'd say if it did get to court for CD the chances of aquittal are small.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    You may actually find they put the logs there to jump on horse back....

But to be honest, if its private land and you are on it without permission (which it sound like), you may find its been done to prevent further damage....
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • welshkev
    mobilekat wrote:
    You may actually find they put the logs there to jump on horse back....

But to be honest, if its private land and you are on it without permission (which it sound like), you may find its been done to prevent further damage....

Too steep for horses

That's exactly why it's been done. But as I said, it's in the middle of nowhere and a trail snaking through the woods isn't that damaging really :?
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Surely the question is who owns the land?

Contact those people and see if they mind it being used?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • welshkev
    Lancew wrote:
    Surely the question is who owns the land?

Contact those people and see if they mind it being used?

The council own it. And because it's do remote and steep I doubt anyone from te council will patrol it so there's no one to stop someone putting stuff across there again
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Have the council said it open access land that can be used for cycling?

As I have known councils block cycle trails that have been illegally built by putting logs across then, due to it being a bloody efficient way of stopping people!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • welshkev
    I doubt very much it's the council. I'm not sure where you live, but in this part of the world mtb'ing is seen as pretty normal so trails (within reason) are usually left alone.

I doubt anyone's complained (but obviously can't be 100% sure) because it's so remote and doesn't lead anywhere apart from more cycle trails.
  • The Rookie
    Is it council owned for sure or common land?
  • welshkev
    The Rookie wrote:
    Is it council owned for sure or common land?

I'm not 100% sure. but there's a nature walk further down the woods (about a mile away from the end of the trail) and I know that's council owned and to me is part of the same woodland as there's no fences, styles etc to cross
  • dribbling, do-gooder, walkers.

they dont like fun!
  • kirby700
    To be fair. The majority of walkers don't like anyone or thing. I hit a log last year went down like a sack of sh@t. Cracked helmet and a bit dizzy. They saw me go down but carried on walking away. Tossers
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Cody
    Cody Posts: 565
    kirby700 wrote:
    I reckon Codys coming for you......

If you take a wrong turn, I'll be waiting with my Hill Billys.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    kirby700 wrote:
    The majority of walkers don't like anyone or thing.

*!*!*!LAZY SWEEPING GENERALISATON ALERT!*!*!*
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • welshkev
    Yeah I have to agree with Angus on this one. 2 walkers helped my mate who had an otb and knocked himself out, broke 3 ribs and his collar bone. He was about 6 miles from civilisation and I doubt he would have been found very quickly without their help.

They kept him warm, called the ambulance etc
  • kirby700
    kirby700 wrote:
    The majority of walkers don't like anyone or thing.

*!*!*!LAZY SWEEPING GENERALISATON ALERT!*!*!*

Alright then, the MAJORITY round the north east of England don't like anyone. Better?

Some are ok but the most round here don't move / attempt to make it easy for both parties to pass. They walk 4 - 5 abreast and dominate the bridleways, they don't pay any attention where their dogs are and the dogs eggs that get left behind.
    They leave logs / branches / dog eggs / litter on the trail.

The bunch of knobs that witnessed me go down never shouted to ask if I was ok.

SO yeah book me in for LAZY SWEEPING GENERALISATON ALERT "THE MAJORITY" DONT LIKE ANYONE OR THING STANDS FOR ME.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA