Brake pad recommendations for Mavic Aksium S

downhill paul
downhill paul Posts: 236
edited January 2015 in Road general
The time has come to replace my brake pads. the question is, with what?
I have the Mavic Aksium S wheels and the stock pads that came as standard with my Allez Sport. but they are on their way out. after reading another thread about brake pads wearing rims out, I thought it best to ask for recommendations.
I prefer the cartridge insert pads if that helps.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Swiss stop green
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Would they be the flash pro green?
  • What's the point of buying pads that cost the same as your wheels? Get a pair of Shimano where they are on offer
    left the forum March 2023
  • £17 a pair? it's hardly the same price as the wheels at £150 a set.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    What's the point of buying pads that cost the same as your wheels? Get a pair of Shimano where they are on offer

The shimamo pads that come with ultegra, 105 are rim destroyers, Never seen a set of pads pick up so much grit and metal flakes.

Koolstop salmons massive improvement imo.
  • If you think 35 quid worth of fast wearing pads to slow the inevitable wear process of a set of wheels worth just over 100 quid is good economy, then go ahead.
    left the forum March 2023
  • +1 for Swissstops. Either Green, or Black. I've recently replaced my blacks with green (on Aksium rims) and the greens are noticably better inthe wet.
  • +1 for Swissstops. Either Green, or Black. I've recently replaced my blacks with green (on Aksium rims) and the greens are noticably better inthe wet.
  • If you think 35 quid worth of fast wearing pads to slow the inevitable wear process of a set of wheels worth just over 100 quid is good economy, then go ahead.

Just over £100? more like £200 for the wheel tyre system. forgive me if I don't have unlimited funds to spend on my bike.
    I never said I was spending £35 on brake pads. I was asking for recommendations. but on the other hand, the shimano pads you recommended wear out quickly and destroy the wheel rims. would you consider that good economy? do the shimano pads last longer than the swiss stop green?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Quite right. Not sure what went on with that one.

As per above, Swisstop FlashPro Green. Great pads offering excellent performance in all conditions and can be had for £25. The price is a bit deceptive as it is for a set (4 pads) whereas a lot of others are just sold in pairs. They do wear out but not stupidly fast and, IMO, I kind of expect brake pads to wear out.

Aksiums are nice wheels but, IMO, it doesn't matter what your wheels are, decent stopping ability is a feature worth paying a few quid for.
  • I agree, I use Swiss Stop green on my Aksiums and really rate them. £20 for 4 pads isn't that expensive given how important brakes are on a bike...