Tour Down Under ****Spoilers***

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited January 2015 in Pro race
Link to criterium - Live now
via@Innerring et al

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8785996
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    B7n6kEUIEAAqkIZ.png
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    How come Caleb Ewan not down to ride TDU?
  • tailwindhome
    B7oPaJ7CAAA8ytI.jpg:large
  • No greipel? Isn't this where he Hoovers up most of his points for the year?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    How come Caleb Ewan not down to ride TDU?
    OGE didn't want to race him too much early season having just done the nationals and bay cries he would have done a lot of racing in January, McEwan didn't agree with this decision on twitter though.

Not a fan of the new giant kit, much preferred last years when watching a race.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Haha, amazing photo. You wouldn't get a bus under that, for sure. ;)

RE: Ewan, I think it's a wise choice. Why send him to his first WT race as a neo-pro knowing he'll get annihilated by Kittel? The lad needs a more steady introduction and some room to build confidence.

To be honest I really doubt his pure sprinter credentials right now. He needs time to develop as a WT rider. He could pick up some nice victories this year against lesser opposition or on lumpier stages. During that time time he'll be gaining the strength needed to compete with the likes of Kittel, Cav and Greipel.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kittel's legs have grown more :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's that time of year when Chris Sutton reminds us he's still a pro on Sky's payroll. No doubt his existence will be forgotten again by April :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pross wrote:
    It's that time of year when Chris Sutton reminds us he's still a pro on Sky's payroll. No doubt his existence will be forgotten again by April :wink:

4th two years in a row. Normally lasts a bit longer, May generally, he'll top 10 some chipper in Europe in March/April. I've just looked at his major achievements on Wiki, didn't realise he'd won KBK.

quick fact the race has only been won by an Australian or a German
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    What was the dinky helmet Kittel was wearing?
    Doesn't look like any on the Giant site?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    What channel and time is coverage on?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • frenchfighter
    2015-santos-tour-down-under-20150118-103617-371.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Going up the line.

Drapac working well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV720ue_RSs
  • Pross wrote:
    Worst Sky rider ever?

I also hated on Greg Henderson for some reason. No idea why and he has proved his domestique worth at Lotto.

It was just when he thought he could be a top line sprinter for a bit. He annoyed me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pross wrote:
    Worst Sky rider ever?

I also hated on Greg Henderson for some reason. No idea why and he has proved his domestique worth at Lotto.

It was just when he thought he could be a top line sprinter for a bit. He annoyed me.[/quote

Couldn't believe it when he got a new contract last year. No idea what he offers.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    sjmclean wrote:
    Worst Sky rider ever?

Couldn't believe it when he got a new contract last year. No idea what he offers.

He won Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne and a stage of the Vuelta. They've had worse.

The thing is, the team probably don't really expect much from him in terms of results. But he probably does what's expected of him as a domestique very reliably, has a good attitude, is liked by the team and is on modest wages. And that's the sort of rider who keeps getting contracts.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Stage 1 result.

B7wwHHOCEAAP5gp.png:large
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Westra in 2nd??
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    He was part of a four man break that just managed to stay away.
  • frenchfighter
    edited January 2015
    Nice work Bonifazio to win the sprint behind.

Good to see Bobridge win on his local roads:
    “I couldn’t even count how many times I’ve been along them roads. I’ve lived on them, trained on them my whole career”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    Worst Sky rider ever?

He won Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne and a stage of the Vuelta. They've had worse.

The thing is, the team probably don't really expect much from him in terms of results. But he probably does what's expected of him as a domestique very reliably, has a good attitude, is liked by the team and is on modest wages. And that's the sort of rider who keeps getting contracts.

I've always kind of liked Chris Sutton. Seems like a decent enough bloke. I seem to remember the Belgian commentary for his KBK win was a bit confused- frantically trying to work out who it was before a surprised voice said- Sutton?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    RC856 wrote:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ets-43456/

So someone reads the forum... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:
    Worst Sky rider ever?

Looking through cqranking there are always people on the roster who do a lot less than him. JTL, Josh E, Dombroski, Zandio etc etc
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Took their first ever win too, if I remember rightly.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551

I think that was Greg Henderson, in the TDU also?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

It depends whether you count the pre-TDU crit as a proper race (it's not UCI classified). Henderson won that, Sutton won a stage of the TDU.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    What's the story with Bobridge cycling for UniSA - something to do with Rio track ambitions?
    Would have thought someone of his potential would be snapped up by a WT team.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    What's the story with Bobridge cycling for UniSA - something to do with Rio track ambitions?
    Would have thought someone of his potential would be snapped up by a WT team.

Yep. Dropped by Belkin at end of 2014 and decided to focus on track at Rio. So moved back to Australia and signed for Budget Forklifts. Not entirely sure why he was racing in UniSA colours.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    ddraver wrote:
    RC856 wrote:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ets-43456/

So someone reads the forum... ;)

:D all becomes clear
    Quite like it for the small size, not sure about the aero look though.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

My mistake, yes I was thinking of the crit, Sky's first race and one of very few results in '10.