1.5kg lighter bike

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited January 2015 in Road general
Hi I'm upgrading from a specialized Roubaix elite 2011 to a Rose Xeon CGF-2000. I'm doing the Haute Route Pryanees in August which obviously involves cols such as the tourmalet. The Rose is 7.15kg and my roubaix is around 8.9kg. That's a fair amount of difference. I'm a light 61kg rider. Would I feel the difference in weight on the bike?

Cheers

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The bike will feel lighter, yes.
    You will not be much faster.
  • Your total weight (including fluids, gels, tubes etc) is around 70kgs, so 1.5kgs is around 2.1%. You're likely to feel a difference because you're expecting to feel one, but a Tourmalet climb at threshold power feels the same regardless of the weight of the bike, you may just be a little quicker.
  • As they already said, all other things being equal it won't make a big difference- as already said the weight difference is only 2.1% so once air resistance is taken into account it would be difficult to see any real difference in times.

However, if the lighter bike has significantly lighter wheel rims then this could make a slight difference as you accelerate faster when the gradient slackens at points.
    Stiffness would make a little more difference- if your wheels and frame are stiffer then you'll loose less energy to deforming each and put a little more into the road. The steeper it gets the more important it'll be as the torque on the wheel can become quite high as you start to run out of gears.
  • How much difference do you experience if you ride with no bottles?
    Keezx wrote:
    The bike will feel lighter, yes.
    You will not be much faster.

That.

You'll feel it, definitely - though I imagine the new bike might feel stiffer/handle sharper/etc on account of differences in geometry. A light bike is a nice thing to have; whilst I wouldn't fall as so many do into unrealistic/marketing-driven expectations of its effect on your time, you may be able to make some easy further weight losses with tyres, tubes, skewers, saddle, etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    When I swap from my heavy winter bike to my summer bike - I notice it for about an hour or two. After that it's the norm.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yes, you will feel the difference and yes, you will be faster. On a long climb of over an hour, there could be a couple of minutes difference in your time i guess.
  • I'm the same weight as you. My bike is 6kg.

A lighter bike can only bring positives as long as you are not overly compromising stiffness (and today's light bikes do not).

When I have hired an 8.5kg bike in Majorca it feels a bit dead by comparison.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    Yes, you will feel the difference and yes, you will be faster. On a long climb of over an hour, there could be a couple of minutes difference in your time i guess.

Yup, in a race, that matters, in just a ride, well it's up to the OP if that matters or not.

What's often ignored is that the lighter bike is just nicer and more fun to ride. I have an average road bike, about 7.5kg without anything on it, and I went Mallorca and hired a bike, no idea how much it weight but it was more than the one at home and I didn't really enjoy riding it, it just felt sluggish and that the bike was holding me back.
  • robbo2011 wrote:

Yup, in a race, that matters, in just a ride, well it's up to the OP if that matters or not.

What's often ignored is that the lighter bike is just nicer and more fun to ride. I have an average road bike, about 7.5kg without anything on it, and I went Mallorca and hired a bike, no idea how much it weight but it was more than the one at home and I didn't really enjoy riding it, it just felt sluggish and that the bike was holding me back.

I highly doubt that feeling would be coming from the weight difference, but rather from geometry and sizing not being ideal. While weight differences are nice, I've climbed the best on the heaviest bike I've owned due to it fitting perfectly.

You'll notice some differences, but in the words of everyone I used to MTB with in Austria, it's not the bike that makes the biggest difference, it's the rider. You may be more mentally motivated when riding a shinier/lighter/newer bike, and that will have a huge impact on your effort and speed.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLe ... _Page.html

Have a play here; most people will be surprised by the small time differences caused by changes in weight.

It's pretty sensible really; if your weight plus that of your bike and clothing and water bottle and banana and house keys is added up, a change of 1.5 kgs is not actually that much.
  • What about if I lose 12kg by dieting?
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    You'll be better at dancing, for sure...
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    "Its not about the bike", someone said..... :ducks for cover:
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Sounds like we could just have a good dump before we start for the same effect :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I'm the same weight as you. My bike is 6kg.
    That is very light - as I understand for racing, bikes are required to be a minimum weight of 6.8kg!
    That is very light - as I understand for racing, bikes are required to be a minimum weight of 6.8kg!

At events held under UCI rules, yes. But bikes get lighter still; head over to Weight Weenies...

At events held under UCI rules, yes. But bikes get lighter still; head over to Weight Weenies...

There are some seriously light bikes on there!

As far as I know, UCI is possibly revising the weight rules. The weight regulations were introduced in a time when frames under a certain weight were extremely unsafe, but with recent advances, they are looking to revise it to reflect how light and strong modern frames are!
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    "Its not about the bike", someone said..... :ducks for cover:

Gold
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Put my numbers into the local hill climb time trial. If I lost just 2kg from me and the bike, I'd gain nearly 30 seconds (5km at 7%). I can't afford 2kg off the bike, so I really shouldn't of had the extra portion of salmon risotto this evening. If the numbers in the model are correct, then I'd be interested in losing 30 seconds in this years hill climb, not sure how much I'd pay for it though.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    OP - have you got the Rose yet, and if so what do you think of it? I really like the look of these, it's a lot of bike for the money. And good luck with the Haute Route!
  • Hi not yet. I will be ordering at the weekend hopefully.

I will post pics etc when j get it.

Cheers