Horizon Diet Special

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
Just finished watching a recent Horizon special on dieting. Interesting as central point is there is no size fits all approach to dieting, but rather what works will depend on individual traits. Worth checking out if weight management is a 2015 goal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    bahzob wrote:
    there is no size fits all approach to dieting, but rather what works will depend on individual traits.

Absolutely! I believe the same is true of training advice for exactly the same reasons (whilst we look broadly similar on the outside, we are vastly more different on the inside). The sooner this sub-forum realises this (as I said before), the sooner there will be less (I did say less) pointless threads.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    It's true that a one size fits all approach does not work but that programme was poor in my opinion. It was generalised (but sensible) advice and the basic problem for all the groups they identified was too much calorie intake and not enough exercise. There was nothing really new that came out of it.

Cheers
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    bahzob wrote:
    there is no size fits all approach to dieting, but rather what works will depend on individual traits.

Absolutely! I believe the same is true of training advice for exactly the same reasons (whilst we look broadly similar on the outside, we are vastly more different on the inside). The sooner this sub-forum realises this (as I said before), the sooner there will be less (I did say less) pointless threads.

You mean if no one disagrees with you ? :lol:

the "beauty" of a forum IS the number of different opinions, be it on strength training, diet cadence etc etc

as for the tv program, there is obviously more than one way to skin a cat, but it all boils down to will power not to hit the cookie jar.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Always worth trying to find a diet that you can stay on forever, thats probably all I'd say on it.
  • Healthy sensible eating isn't a diet.

Always enjoy reading threads with fat people giving diet advise.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

What about people giving spelling advice?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Healthy sensible eating isn't a diet.

Diet just means what you eat and drink, day in day out. So healthy sensible eating can be a diet. In fact that should be the objective for any sensible individual.

The program was trying to find out why a significant proportion of the population seem to have difficulty doing it, and coming up with strategies to help them avoid overeating. I found it quite interesting.

Unfortunately for most people the word diet has come to mean some kind of departure from their normal eating, and is often so extreme that it's unsustainable. Permanent lifestyle change is really what's required.

And I'm not fat. Under-tall for my weight, possibly. I did put on 8 pounds feasting over christmas :)