New kid from Cannock Chase!

Mr Burns
Mr Burns Posts: 9
edited March 2015 in MTB beginners
...Well, not so much a 'kid' actually!

So imagine you can see Cannock Chase from your driveway, then try to imagine you're 34 years old and have never ridden a MTB off road before... Crazy? Maybe!

It all started when I wanted some winter exercise and didn't fancy joining a gym like all the other new years resolution chumps, and someone suggested riding the trails on a mountain bike.

Luckily I had a Halfords Carrera thing in the garage, so I dusted it off and headed into the woods hoping that I'd stumble across the trails... And I did! :)

I've been over there twice now and clocked up 32 miles (which includes riding home) and I'm getting really into it, and the regulars seem really friendly too... I've made some new friends already!

I have a million questions, so please make me welcome!

Steve

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OK, welcome and hide your credit card before it's too late.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    cooldad wrote:
    OK, welcome and hide your credit card before it's too late.

+1 can get expensive when the bug bites.
  • mattham
    mattham Posts: 75
    Hi Steve

Firstly, you are very lucky to have the Chase right on your doorstep, congrats for finally starting to use it :)

As long as you dont take the sarcasm personally then you'll find that you'll get the answers to your million questions.....though I have found the most sarcastic forumites are also generally the most helpful when it really comes to it....mentioning no names.... :wink:

Have fun with your new hobby, and another +1 on the credit card...stay away from the CRC website as despite having funded the actual bike, I've found I spend just as much on clothes, tools, upgrades etc... :lol:

Matt
  • Thanks for the welcomes and tips...

Just like with anything you enjoy, you soon start looking at spending money on it. If I said I hadn't been looking at new bikes I'd be lying lol.

Struggling with the front derailleur set-up on my Carrera, I can't get it to change across all three sprockets... Just small to middle, or middle to large.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    With the front derailleur, try these instructions I posted a while ago on the other side.. everything still applies though :)

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12971253

just change "downtube adjuster" to "adjuster attached to shifter" :)

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Thanks, Bob! I'll have another go tomorrow :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Argh yes, the Cannock paste....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Welcome!
    Another Chase local here - although I have to use the car to get to the trails lol.
    It's a great hobby - wish I'd gotten in to it sooner.
    If you want some sociable rides check out Chase Riders on Facebook (Usually meet Tuesdays & Sundays) - that's the group I mainly cycle with. Usually involves some techy single track stuff and occasionally the Dog/monkey.
  • Thanks again...

Unfortunately I don't do Facebook, but I'm sure I'll bump into you all one day :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I only use facebook for cycling stuff, worth having an account just for that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fabius
    Fabius Posts: 56
    The Rookie wrote:
    I only use facebook for cycling stuff, worth having an account just for that!

+1 for this as Facebook seems to be where everything is updated first. I only use it for cycling stuff and my cycling world would be much poorer without it. Sadly a case of if you can't beat them join them.
  • VX Foxy
    VX Foxy Posts: 6
    I'm also not a kid, in fact I have 10yrs on you and have only just discovered the trails having lived a couple of miles up the road for 12years! Why didn't I do it before!

Only done ftd so far, but it seems to be getting easier.

See you around!