Weight Weenies Ban?

downhill paul
downhill paul Posts: 236
edited January 2015 in Road general
Has anyone else had this?
I have just tried to read reviews of the specialized allez comp race on their website. this is the first time I have used their website. a warning notice popped up telling me I had been permanently banned from the website for spam reasons. how can I spam a website I have never visited? what exactly do they do anyway?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

Reason given for ban: spam

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Has anyone else had this?
    I have just tried to read reviews of the specialized allez comp race on their website. this is the first time I have used their website. a warning notice popped up telling me I had been permanently banned from the website for spam reasons. how can I spam a website I have never visited? what exactly do they do anyway?

It's probably either that you're abroad or using a proxy or something else to do with your IP address. If I try to log onto BR when I'm in China, I get the same thing - as I did when using my proxy (possibly fixed now). The system just sees your IP and relates it to a banned IP.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Was about to post a similar thread, hopefully it's a problem at their end!
  • team47b wrote:

I just got the same message.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    team47b wrote:

I just had a look on their forum and the same message came up. I've never even visited that forum before (never joined, not a member), so there must be something up...
  • Ah, right. I'd just emailed the link on the ban screen to ask Whiskey Tango Foxtrot myself.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Me too and just seen this thread. They must have a very busy inbox right now.
  • Same. I think it's because we need to diet more.
  • chip42
    chip42 Posts: 145
    Same here, I've emailed them but no response as yet.

Andy
  • Ah. So not just me then. They've had a few problems over the last week or so, either software related or hack-related. Looks like this is the most recent.

Just hope I haven't sent a message to a bunch of hackers. Not sure what good it would do them, but you never know.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Me too :D
  • Fixed now. Sounda like the mods were banned too!: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 7&t=130330

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • That forum is full of bugs... I did register a few years back, but was never able to login... if I try to register as a new user, apparently I still exist... oh well.
    The all Starbike business seems a bit bonkers for the way we perceive German efficiency.
    left the forum March 2023
  • That forum is full of bugs... I did register a few years back, but was never able to login... if I try to register as a new user, apparently I still exist... oh well.
    The all Starbike business seems a bit bonkers for the way we perceive German efficiency.

Same, I tried to register just to ask a simple question but I never did get in so I gave up.
  • it is worth persisting. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people there: it's my first port of call for any difficult or obscure question. ISTR Adam Hansen was a regular on there way before (and a bit after) he got a pro contract.

It's also a lot better than it was: it went through a very fascist phase of deleting any thread that wasn't directly and identifiably related to saving weight on a bike. It's all a bit more relaxed now, and better for it.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • it is worth persisting. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people there: it's my first port of call for any difficult or obscure question. ISTR Adam Hansen was a regular on there way before (and a bit after) he got a pro contract.

It's also a lot better than it was: it went through a very fascist phase of deleting any thread that wasn't directly and identifiably related to saving weight on a bike. It's all a bit more relaxed now, and better for it.

Being on the giving rather than receiving end of advice most of the time, I find it's hard enough to maintain one profile... presence on more than one forum is just too demanding. I occasionally post on LFGSS, but not being a regular my advice is often ignored or disregarded.... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    it is worth persisting. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people there: it's my first port of call for any difficult or obscure question. ISTR Adam Hansen was a regular on there way before (and a bit after) he got a pro contract.

You on WW forum ha! Now that's funny captain fondue
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Om nomnomnom! There's nowt wrong with a couple of fondues a day...

Anyway - the spam ban at WW seems to be back on force again. Unless it's jut me this time :-(

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Maybe there's a maximum weight limit in force
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yep, back in force. Back to browsing this forum for interesting topics for a while!
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Banned again :roll:
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Me too :(
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    I only went to the website cos of all this hoo hah, and I'm banned too. :mrgreen:
  • And me!
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    2 days now still cant log on
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Add me to the banned list!
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have been posting there for three years without issue then in the last month they get hacked and the this twice. I suspect the are the victim of hacking.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I was able to post on there all last week, banned this week.....

Maybe they ran out of 50c coins for the meter?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Is anyone able to get in and, if so, have they posted anything to say what's going on?

If they haven't and they're not replying to those of use who've mailed their admin team I can only assume they really don't give a shit.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Gweeds wrote:
    Is anyone able to get in and, if so, have they posted anything to say what's going on?

If they haven't and they're not replying to those of use who've mailed their admin team I can only assume they really don't give a shoot.

Do you honestly think they don't care, I'm sure they're doing everything they can behind the scene to get it back online.